Lake effect snow

Chummer

i thought you guys might enjoy this. We are in the middle of one of our typical lake effect events. My neighbor has a web cam so I like to follow along when it snows like this. We have dodged most of the big snow falls this year and only had a 6" snow base. For January that is very rare but this makes two years in a row.

72176beeeed3c610729e507e2210dfb6.jpg
427eaaec103d6226e2bb8f95f7ac8b24.jpg
23d90840ce03ddd6b89574575932b52f.jpg
13aa24c47fb5be4711172d07fad5d15f.jpg
f8b06d24bbf07592d56f8c11f2a5214b.jpg

This is the culprit. West wind blows across the warm waters of Lake Ontario. This snow won't stop until the wind changes.
847b7ee81ccf0989042b308088f33cf3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is an excellent series of lake effect in action Chummer. The band is about 1/2 mile south of us;we are at maybe four inches. We are just loving this relative snow less period. We really lucked our to get so little from a four day off the lake blow. Give me a call if you want to borrow a shovel. ha,ha.

I really lucked out on this one as well. Forecast was for 30" but we only got 15". Different lake same results. :)
It's all in which way the wind blows. The deer had a nice 3 week break of mostly bare ground but, quit a bit in the woods yet. Well, I'm going out now to fire up the beast and get rid of what's in the drive. It's a shame when you have to have a 60hp tractor with a 7' double auger blower just to get out of the driveway.:eek::eek:

Looks like another 12 hours until it moves south but this is as heavy as it has been during this round. I am guessing we will be around 3.5' for this round.

That is aweful. I guess it'd be fun if you were just visiting and could leave, but dang to have to live in it. I feel for ya.

That is aweful. I guess it'd be fun if you were just visiting and could leave, but dang to have to live in it. I feel for ya.
I don't live in it! There are very few that do. Mostly just camps. They are broken into two groups for the most part. Summer/Fall and Fall/Winter. There are a lot of camps that are only used during snowmobile season(yes they have a season). It runs from the last day of deer season until the snow leaves in April. Snowmobilers are the main revenue stream for most of the Tug Hill's restaurants, bars, and motels. There are hundreds of miles of groomed trails that connect them all.

New round starting up. 24-36" called for again. You don't want to get caught driving into one of these bands of snow. 10 minutes away will be sunny blue skies
57b1f50a6daf52e4c208dfedacbe1f02.jpg

Geez, no way I would trade skeeters, cooper heads, cotton mouths and rattlers for that mess. Y'all can have it. But I do wish you lots of luck with it.

I enjoy snow, but that is just out of control. At best, ours won't lay more than couple weeks. Enjoyed watching tho. You guys are tough, or crazy.

Deep snows and high taxes. I think you left out stupid!:eek:
Ha,Ha! Dan, you are absolutely correct;it is stupid that we put up with this at least on the surface. But there is something special here for us, something words can not express that drew us here and keeps us here. Four or five feet of snow at times, temperatures in the minus twenty to thirty-five now and then, and winds blowing 40 to 60 on occasion blowing the snow around is just a minor inconvenience. We will readily admit though not many see it as the Shangri- La that we do.

And taxes are not that all that bad with the right properties.

Just paid the taxes so sore subject. As for the snow, I embrace it. Other than mountain peeks out west I don't think any place comes close to the Tug Hill. We may even beat those mountains. I look at it as a challenge. Mother Nature has stacked the deck against me but I still call her every hand. She wins most but I get the occasional victory. As tough as the winters are I truly believe there is no better place June-November. No drought(other than last year), high temp is 85, low temps 40-50's all summer. The thing that has stuck with me is when I bought the place the owner said you can walk 60 miles out the back door without crossing a road. I don't look at the snow as a negative. Without it there would be a whole lot more people here and I probably would not be.

Looks like another 12-24" today. We're gonna need a bigger ruler.
3da30ad85eed7366a19973771faca51d.jpg

Pounding continues. County just asked snowmobilers to stay home this weekend. Roads are starting to close in. They won't cut the banks back until the snow stops. Imagine being a deer in this. The large hemlock stands become a tent city for them until the snow settles.
c0deefdfc2b2e2441706f58f9d523791.jpg

Our luck finally ran out! We have been dead center of the snow plume most of the day. It dropped many inches per hour. I plowed in the middle of the day while it was snowing because if I didn't I was afraid the plow wouldn't handle it.
Visibility was so bad I had to get out of the truck to listen if a town snowplow was coming before I pushed out into the road. You couldn't see part of three truck lengths at the most in daylight. There is zero sign of deer or any other critters out and about. Even the county snowplows are nestled in somewhere--no sign of them on our road yet today.

The big lake is unfrozen practically everywhere so more snow is likely. This is a new event no ice in February so we really don't know the extent of what it might cause. On the positive side I'm guesstimating the "warm waters" could cause earlier thaws than normal. Note--I have no scientific education on such predictions--that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Note guys-Chummer is a real optimist so when he says a six inch snow base it really could be two feet. So if he ever says five feet which he no doubt has today you can figure on a lot more.
I really hate it when you have to shovel down to find the door;It's not there yet and that's a good thing. Just in case though I have high stakes to mark our entry doors.

Last edited:
Holy crap. I'm gonna go out and walk around my nice snow-free yard just to show my thankfulness. That has to be TOUGH on the deer.

News just said 115" in last 9 days for Redfield! Now calling for another 3' by Monday. This could be a record event for duration and total. So much for a mild winter. Looks like the cold moves in for the rest of the month starting next week. I might be hunting Turkeys on the snow May 1st!

News just said 115" in last 9 days for Redfield! Now calling for another 3' by Monday. This could be a record event for duration and total. So much for a mild winter. Looks like the cold moves in for the rest of the month starting next week. I might be hunting Turkeys on the snow May 1st!

As you know Chummer we rent out some cottages that people come to to fish from. Some always want to come too early for spring trolling before stuff is ready. What is ready? Its easier to say what is not ready. If you can step onto the roof walking along the top of the snow without a reach the fishing will not be good. In fact you would need a fifteen ft. ice auger to reach water on that day.

Back