Lake effect snow

99% of the population would think the Tug Hill is a snowy hell on earth. The other 1% like my neighbor think it is Heaven on earth. They drive in from 1.5 hours every weekend there is snow. Not even 5' keeps them home. I can guess their routine is arrive, turn on heat, get above 32, turn on water, hit the trails. Snow be damned they love every second of it. I am just watching to see how long it takes that upstairs window to disappear.
6da60a0b5e7d7854924866e9d46e43af.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! That is a bunch of snow!

I would like to get 1 less than 6" snow a year just to see deer travel patterns but we haven't had a snow in a couple years other than flurries and they are calling for 80's next weekend!

Just paid the taxes so sore subject. As for the snow, I embrace it. Other than mountain peeks out west I don't think any place comes close to the Tug Hill. We may even beat those mountains. I look at it as a challenge. Mother Nature has stacked the deck against me but I still call her every hand. She wins most but I get the occasional victory. As tough as the winters are I truly believe there is no better place June-November. No drought(other than last year), high temp is 85, low temps 40-50's all summer. The thing that has stuck with me is when I bought the place the owner said you can walk 60 miles out the back door without crossing a road. I don't look at the snow as a negative. Without it there would be a whole lot more people here and I probably would not be.
Kinda same reason a person chooses to live in my state. A very cyclic economy, high land prices, good taxes, tolerable weather with no constant extremes, great but very few people. I too can walk for hours, really days, in some areas without any contact with another human. That I like. Thanks for showing, I've ridden thru that country of yours and it is impressive.

One bonus, you don't need a ladder to get on the roof. The band shifted north so me might be spared the extra 3' they were calling for this weekend.
34fbe829740edb46c49dd3cd2d4f41a0.jpg

One bonus, you don't need a ladder to get on the roof. The band shifted north so me might be spared the extra 3' they were calling for this weekend.
34fbe829740edb46c49dd3cd2d4f41a0.jpg

You are in deep for sure buddy. Pretty soon you will need to throw the snow up to get it off of the roof. I had my truck out during a snow event two years ago facing west (the wrong way) It wouldn't start so I popped the hood to see what the problem could be.
DSC_0088a.jpg
The snow went all the way to the ground.It wasn't that the snow was deep but that the blowing lake effect had swirled completely into the cars engine compartment. The starter had to be replaced.

February 17th and this should be the max depth of our snow pack. At 3.5 feet it is below average for typical snow pack. Usually we max out at around 4.5-5'. This snow pack is glacier like. You will be able to walk on top of it most mornings and start to break through as the temps warm. This is the most dangerous time of year for the deer and when I feel most fall to coyotes. Coyotes stay on top longer and can easily run down a deer. We should have a very short duration of snow pack this year. Most of this snow has come in the last three weeks. Temps are above freezing for the next two weeks so hopefully it goes fast. Some years we have a deep snow pack for three months or longer. I thought you southern guys would get a kick out of it.

That's a great shot of the camp Chummer. It must be so easy hinge cutting holding the saw at waist level standing on the hard pack while the trees are really being cut six ft. above the soil line.

That's a great shot of the camp Chummer. It must be so easy hinge cutting holding the saw at waist level standing on the hard pack while the trees are really being cut six ft. above the soil line.
I usually get up once a year when I can hinge on the snow pack. It is my favorite time to hinge. You have to be careful though because the snow around the trees softens the fastest. Nothing worse than getting caught away from camp when you start breaking through every other step. Makes for a long walk home.

I usually get up once a year when I can hinge on the snow pack. It is my favorite time to hinge. You have to be careful though because the snow around the trees softens the fastest. Nothing worse than getting caught away from camp when you start breaking through every other step. Makes for a long walk home.
Remember boy scouts--BE PREPARED. Always when there is snow carry snowshoes with you when going far off the road for hours. Conditions can and do change quickly.

Memories! Brief, fortunately! When I was in college over 40 years ago I met a girl whose father had a dairy farm in "The Southern Tier." I fell in love with the dairy farm and she loved me for a couple years! I remember the first year. The cold and snow were fascinating. It reaffirmed my "toughness." I did survive. The second year, I realized I need to learn to enjoy and embrace winter sports, all involving snow. Lot's and lot's of snow. Cross country skiing (I was young and broke) and snowmobiling. Oh! There was an essential indoor sport where I got Olympic medals - beer drinking. The third year I never saw the sun for nearly eight weeks and the red stuff in the thermometer never got above the zero mark. It was about then the farm, the girl, and I started falling out of love. I started formulating a plan, to extricate myself from ground "zero." I knew I had to execute it the following spring when I looked at the window in late March. The skies were brilliant blue. The sun posed as a warming, glowing ember. The temperature was minus eight.

I'm back in Virginia now. I miss the upstate NY summers, both days! Otherwise, home it where the temperature hovers in the mid 70's today!

Thanks for making me feel better about where I am!

In laws took a drive up Friday to see if everything was still standing. My only concern is the tractor port I built. I made it as beefy as I could but I still worry when the heavy snow comes. You can see the snow is up to the roof line.
337ff778662475e51222fd896f29a1f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memories! Brief, fortunately! When I was in college over 40 years ago I met a girl whose father had a dairy farm in "The Southern Tier." I fell in love with the dairy farm and she loved me for a couple years! I remember the first year. The cold and snow were fascinating. It reaffirmed my "toughness." I did survive. The second year, I realized I need to learn to enjoy and embrace winter sports, all involving snow. Lot's and lot's of snow. Cross country skiing (I was young and broke) and snowmobiling. Oh! There was an essential indoor sport where I got Olympic medals - beer drinking. The third year I never saw the sun for nearly eight weeks and the red stuff in the thermometer never got above the zero mark. It was about then the farm, the girl, and I started falling out of love. I started formulating a plan, to extricate myself from ground "zero." I knew I had to execute it the following spring when I looked at the window in late March. The skies were brilliant blue. The sun posed as a warming, glowing ember. The temperature was minus eight.

I'm back in Virginia now. I miss the upstate NY summers, both days! Otherwise, home it where the temperature hovers in the mid 70's today!

Thanks for making me feel better about where I am!

Loved your description of the Southern tier x-farmerdan; my wife and I had a good chuckle. The north country weather here on Lake Ontario-eastern end is usually described as ten months of winter and two months of tough sledding.

Chummer, you should get a real break the next 10 days or so.
Exactly what the deer need to help against coyotes. Rapid snow melt. I am sure a few will get picked off this week but should be in the clear after that. The sun felt pretty hot today!

It was 80 here today. Bradford pears are starting to bloom.

You ever catch any penguins on that trail cam?:p

Years ago I had a dream to live in Alaska or way up in the mountains but as I get older I realize how much I actually HATE snow. I can't stand dragging it into the house, my vehicles, etc and the mucky mess it leaves for days/weeks after it melts is just an absolute pita... I guess I am where I need to be already where if we get a 2" snow the state shuts down and everything is greening up and blooming in February (this year)...Only bad things I can say about our area is drought, earthquakes, tornado's and hail!

With highs of 55ish degrees the snow is disappearing quickly but not everywhere. On the western end of the property there is almost zero snow throughout. Two miles up the road on the other end the snow is a solid one ft. deep even in the open. This is truly the line of lake effect/no lake effect. I've heard that your area still has four feet plus, is that so?

With highs of 55ish degrees the snow is disappearing quickly but not everywhere. On the western end of the property there is almost zero snow throughout. Two miles up the road on the other end the snow is a solid one ft. deep even in the open. This is truly the line of lake effect/no lake effect. I've heard that your area still has four feet plus, is that so?
Probably in the woods. It is down to two feet in the open. The web cam ruler lost a foot of snow in the last two days!

Back