Lake effect snow

You have that right Jeremy; we are dead center in the snow band now. Visibility is so low I don't dare to even attempt to plow a breakthrough lane down the driveway. The snow is really piling up now. The ever rising snowbank is just a foot away from the sliding glass doors so we can only see outside past the snowbank if we are close to the door and standing (Good thing we have the two ft. overhang on our roof). Sitting down all we see is the snowbank. Our freezers and pantry are well stocked so we are comfortable; As to the deer, the woods here are full of browse at least and there are standing beans and 30 acres of rye and triticale but a thaw will be needed so they can get to it all.

Update--tried to plow around 4pm. Plow pushed snow ahead and to the side but between the blowing snow, the falling snow and the snow curling off the plow it was not possible to see where I was. Went forward about 150 feet, couldn't see. Backed up where I had plowed by holding the door open and following my tracks back to the barn. Barely made it back, dropped plow and re-shoveled out the door and jumped into the barn. Yikes! Becoming a snowbird sounds better every year. The deer must all be buried, at least they will have a warm night under the snow.

Last edited:
Back