J-birds place

Do you have chipmunks around the house. The cage may not stop them but a rat trap or pellet gun will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I smacked the crap out of my yard with some crossbow/crossroad over the weekend and in the process hit some JBH and mulberry with it as well......just to see what happens. 2% rate was what I used (1 gallon of chemical to 50 gallons of water). I figure that should smoke the clover and dandelions and all the other stuff in the yard......I may not have much of a yard left when it's all over, but what will be left will be grass!

I did go up and check the water hole. It's still got water in it but we didn't get much rain for me to tell if it is filling or if it is just holding at the current level. I hope it just fills at this point.

Planting season is starting up in my area. Lots of farmers getting corn and beans into the ground. Sounds like the deer will have plenty of summer forage again in my area as most farmers are planting beans this year because the price of corn is down because of the national surplus.

Well I went out today...between rain storms just to see how things where progressing.

North waterhole......with all the rain has filled nicely and I now can see where the low spot is and where the "overflow" needs to be. IF it holds this water level I may not need the liner. Turns out the access path that leads to it channels water directly into it as well.
water hole 1.jpg

I also checked up on some of my sawtooth oak acorns I planted. The ones in the woods have not done, much. Those on the back porch don't seem to be doing much either. I did find some that where in the plot and caged that had sprouted a radical.
sawtooth wakeup.jpg

The north annual food plot that was planted to brassica and clover has exploded! The brassica is showing sings of producing seed and the clover has exploded to over knee high as well. Lots of deer food.
north plot 1.jpg
north plot 2.jpg
My chestnuts are also looking good. I think they are showing signs of what I hope will be the catkins as well.
chestnut 1.jpg

Perennial plots was also doing well........ Ladino clover and chicory seem to be exploding as well.
north perennial plot.jpg

Now for the bad news.....I "think" this is my first sign of CAR on one of my young cedar trees. Anyone know if CAR can grow on pines? I saw something VERY similar to this on a pine as well....not sure if that is even possible....
CAR.jpg

Wrapped up the day with a steak birthday dinner off my new grill (birthday gift) and yes the bottle opener works too!
new grill.jpg

I'm no expert but I believe that is CAR. I see them all over the cedar at my dad's place. They "bloom" when it rains. And since I know you are not far from me, I'm sure you have seen a lot of rain in the last 24 hours.

I
I'm no expert but I believe that is CAR. I see them all over the cedar at my dad's place. They "bloom" when it rains. And since I know you are not far from me, I'm sure you have seen a lot of rain in the last 24 hours.

I'm pretty sure its CAR. I saw something that looked like this on a pine tree as well.....I am not sure if it is common on pines.

And yes - Yesterday evening and night we have had some significant storms and rainfall move thru......and it appears we are not done yet either.

I've never seen it on a pine. I can't say I've spent much time looking for it on pines. He doesn't have many on his place and most of what he has are quite large with no low branches.

I have also not seen it on pines but will look carefully after the next rain. Good luck with the new grill;the pictures of the steaks on your new grill have got me ready for grill season. Will be putting the grills out at camp within the week.

I'll take pics next time I'm out of what I think is CAR on the pine I saw. It was on the very ends.....I thought it may be some sort of bloom that I just had never noticed before......but it looked very similar to the CAR I saw on the cedar posted above.

And yes chainsaw.....come summer time my grill gets a work out......that built in bottle opener will get a work out too!!!!

thought I would post a little update on the sawtooth (catscratch) oaks.

Well as of Yesterday I have some mixed results depending on application:

The worst application where I direct seeded acorns into the woods without any protection - I am finding zero germination at this time, but I also have not found sign of the acorns being eaten either, so maybe just the cooler ground temperatures is affecting them. My concern is that the woods here have greened up and IF they do germinate I am not sure they will have the ability to get the sunlight they need to stay alive long. But maybe that is what I get for planting trees in the woods!

The better application is where I planted the acorns in some of my clover plots and put small cages on them - In the one plot I checked yesterday I seem to be running about a 50% success rate at the moment. I am concerned that I may need to make bigger cages (you will see why in a minute).
sawtooth3.jpg

My best application is where they are planted in containers (2 liter plastic bottles with a hole for excess water to drain in potting soil) on the back deck - these have done VERY well. I have 11 of 12 all germinated and some at 8 or 9 inches tall already.
sawtooth1.jpg

Here you can see the two that are doing the best and the one "dud" so far in this group.
sawtooth2.jpg

Based on what I have seen thus far I think soil temperature has a HUGE impact on when the acorns germinate and thus how much growth they can put on in their first year. Obviously as the summer goes on and the stress of the heat mounts those in the actual ground should fair better than these in containers. My intent is to transplant these in containers once they go dormant. I will simply cut the container with a sharp knife and plant the entire "plug" so to speak.

Just some pics from my walk today.

My Chestnuts are waking up for their 3rd year...I think. I got catkins last year, but no spurs last year. We will see how things go this year.
View attachment 6696

A walk in the timber looking for sheds and morels.....none of either, but the timber flowers and may apples where there.
View attachment 6697
View attachment 6698

Also found some perfect examples of life from a dead tree.....here is a standing dead tree that wood peckers have just beat the crap out of.
View attachment 6699

I didn't find any morel's but I did find some other mushrooms and fungus. I found some of these....I have no idea what they are....but some where the size of dinner plates!
View attachment 6700
Hey J-Bird, catching up on your thread and it looks like you've been busy as usual! Spring is my busy time so I haven't been on here much. These look like they could be older turkey tail mushrooms (Trametes Versicolor). Turkey Tails are very common anywhere there's decaying wood. I would highly recommend anyone who has a loved one going through cancer treatment to read the literature on turkey tail mushrooms. The PSP and PSK extracts from this mushroom have been recognized cancer drugs in Japan since the mid-70's. They're used in conjunction with typical cancer treatments, i.e. radiation and chemotherapy. They're a potent immune therapy that's been used for 1000's of years in Asia and can strengthen normal and compromised immune systems. We have personal experience with this in my family with respect to breast cancer. As with all things, don't take my word on it but if you're interested check out the work of Bastyr University and University of Minnesota along with the large body of work done in Japan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3369477/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890100/

The one in clover patch looks great. When i direct seeded i thought they would n3ver come up
I was concerned at first, but once again patience was needed (which I tend to lack) and once they woke up - they have done fairly well. I also liked the idea of being able to try them in different manners to see what seems to work best and what conditions can help. Obviously those on the deck that get full sun and watered frequently have done well. But I wasn't going to grow 100 trees that way! Those on the deck are more of a "ideal control" more than anything.....but they will be put to good use when the time comes as well.

Hey J-Bird, catching up on your thread and it looks like you've been busy as usual! Spring is my busy time so I haven't been on here much. These look like they could be older turkey tail mushrooms (Trametes Versicolor). Turkey Tails are very common anywhere there's decaying wood. I would highly recommend anyone who has a loved one going through cancer treatment to read the literature on turkey tail mushrooms. The PSP and PSK extracts from this mushroom have been recognized cancer drugs in Japan since the mid-70's. They're used in conjunction with typical cancer treatments, i.e. radiation and chemotherapy. They're a potent immune therapy that's been used for 1000's of years in Asia and can strengthen normal and compromised immune systems. We have personal experience with this in my family with respect to breast cancer. As with all things, don't take my word on it but if you're interested check out the work of Bastyr University and University of Minnesota along with the large body of work done in Japan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3369477/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4890100/
Interesting info. I have lots of turkey tail shrooms, but typically much, much smaller, like quarter size but many of them. Those I took a picture of where just some I found on a walk one day. It's funny all the things we walk past and never see and then one day something for some reason catches our attention.....and with a little luck we learn something!

J- If you want more seeds next yr give me a holler mid to late summer. I collected enough from two outings this yr that I'm currently throwing away the one's that I didn't get planted. No reason for you to be stingy with your experiments and plantings!

J- If you want more seeds next yr give me a holler mid to late summer. I collected enough from two outings this yr that I'm currently throwing away the one's that I didn't get planted. No reason for you to be stingy with your experiments and plantings!
If I need more, I know where to get "Catscratch oaks" from!:D

SO - Memorial Day weekend is a big deal here in Indiana because of the Indy 500 race......if your into racing great....I'm not. However this weekend is typically the weekend I plant my summer annual plots and this weekend wasn't any different.

So I wanted to do something this year I have never done. I wanted to broadcast my beans just to see how things would go. I have a row planter and have played with different things with it, but I wanted to try something different. So I borrowed the tiller and headed for the plots. Plots have been mowed to chop up remaining corn stalks from last year and to keep weeds to a reasonable height.

This is my SW plot - this is what it looked like when I started. Using a tiller is slow going, but my only other option is a old school plow and disc. With scattered rain in the forecast I prefer to do it in one pass if possible.
SW plot before.jpg

As part of my little experiment I tried to collect some info. I was able to obtain roughly 70 lbs of fresh soybean seed (for free) and then mixed in roughly 30 lbs of some old corn seed - the ratio may sound steep, but I don;t look for much of the corn seed to germinate because of it's age (it's at least 2 years old). I then had an acre total to cover so I pulled out 25 lbs to apply to this plot (as it's only about a 1/4 acre). I simply broadcast the mixed seed and then packed the seed in with the tractor tires.
SW plot after.jpg

Speaking of broadcasting seed......if you even get a conical broadcaster - get a poly one if you plan to broadcast fertilizer. Fertilizer is very hard on metal and I had to do a bit of red-neck fix'n. I'll fix it properly here at some point, but I was in a hurry!!!! That is duct tape , backed up with gorilla tape.....it worked.....for the time being!
fix it with duct tape.jpg

We got some good rain Sunday night so all should be well. I will follow up with an application of gly once the weeds start to challenge my plot plants, but typically I only need one application and that is it.

I also tried to monitor my apples.....which was disappointing. Of my 5 trees only one shows any signs of actual apples this year.
S apple update memorial day 2017.jpg

I'll throw 200 lbs of a balanced fertilizer and 50 lbs of urea over the plots yet this week and we should be good to go. If for some reason these don;t turn out I will simply adapt and make the plots fall annual plots come late summer. Being surrounded by ag crops allows me to try different things and know my deer are not going to starve at least thru the summer months!

With work done (we even cleaned the house for Mom that morning) , Monday was a day for family..... I took my kids out to my folks pond to do a little fishing and it must have been a good idea, because my dad and my brother and his little girls where there as well. I like getting especially my girls outside. They seem to enjoy the slower pace of fishing and the weather was great....... even caught some fish. In this pond.....you can't help but catch fish!

My middle daughter Jenna and my niece where putting there feet into the water.....I told them their stinky feet would chase the fish away!
Jenna Lainey.jpg

My youngest caught some fish and we had a little lesson on removing her own fish from the hook......she wasn't real keen on that idea. She kept commenting on how they don;t stay still!
emma.jpg

To boost her confidence, my niece showed her how it was done! But she prefers to hold them by the moth.....because "they are icky"!
Lainey.jpg

There was also 4-wheeler rides and feeding the fish as well. It was a nice day well spent fishing in the shade and enjoying some time outside with the kids.

Back