How much rain needed to wash in fertilizer?

CedarSwamp

I asked this same question on QDMA. It rained 0.3 inches of rain right after I fertilized the plots that had been sprayed with gly a week ago and I plan to broadcast and roll next weekend with brassicas. I won't be doing any tillage.

I took a couple pis of the plot too cause I have never done broadcasting seeds and fertilizer without tillage. Do the pics look like a good candidate for spray and roll like I am planning to do?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 14
I think at least 0.5" minimum is what people shoot for from a nitrogen point of view. The P and K will be fine with any amount but the N needs that rain because of how volatile it is.

I think if you get that amount of rain in the first 72 hours you will be fine, so you only need a little more.

If we don't get anymore rain so then 0.3" will all be that fell on it then did I lose basically all the nitrogen or would some of it have washed in still?

Want to figure out if I should just seed next week and broadcast Urea later before a rain or if I should just use the tiller next week and till in some urea the same day I plant.

The amount of biomass being used for thatch is less than you normally would want to use. I'd go ahead with what you are doing but just keep that in mind with this initial planting. As things improve you should see more biomass accumulation.

Back