Commercial Food Plot...

OkieKubota

Staff member
As many of you know I commercially do brushhogging and every year for the past 4 years I have a customer who has me Brushhog around his camper and all of his roads and his open area which is about 2 acres on top of a ridge with a little slope to it. The area is just covered in sericia lespediza and sumac. 2 years ago I took 1/2 bag of WR and threw it out before I brushhogged to see if anything would grow but the hard rocky ground with not enough thatch and no rain made for a total failure.

He called me up to get it brushhogged again and in the conversation he asked me what we should do to start getting that field ready to plant. I told him I needed to Brushhog it and then wait a few days and spray it with GLY to work on killing it off. He told me he was not interested in planting this fall but would be next year. I told him we needed to Brushhog and spray twice next summer, lime and then I would till it up next Labor Day and plant it. He said that sounded fine...I brushhogged it and waited a week and went back with my 4 wheeler and sprayer and he was there working. He asked me when I was going to plant? I was somewhat confused and I said I guess next Labor Day weekend and he told me he wanted 2 plots this fall. A small 1/8 acre near his camper and this 2 acre field...had to totally regroup! He also wanted me to provide the seed...the area I am planting is a flint rock ridge and is typical for our area. I plant this same type of ground here at home so I am familiar with it. I told him I would find rocks he never imagined with my chisel plow and I work from the tractor seat so picking rocks would be his job or he could do like I do and let the plot just grow up with rocks in it...he said he would pick the rocks out himself. It has not rained for a week but my window to plant is 1 day and that day is tomorrow. We have almost no chances of rain until the 14th but I won’t be available to do it then. I bought 100 lbs WR grain, 50 lbs oats, 50 WW, 5 groundhog radishes, 5 red clover, 5 ladino white clover. He purchased some pellet lime and left it at the site. I have no idea how much because I told him we would need at least 2000 lbs acre on that upper field because it is poor reclaimed forest ground and would be very acidic and to just buy what he can afford. Due to distance and time I am only using my chisel plow, 3 point spreader, and the tractor itself to pack it in. I will get pictures tomorrow...looking forward to doing it because every time I Brushhog that field all I can picture is a green plot there...

Have ground. Will plant. That has always captured me in gardening.
Sounds like you have that same addiction. Good luck. This guy certainly will get more than his money's worth.

Good luck. I know you will do a good job. Make sure that he knows Mother Nature will determine the success of the plot, not you or him.

Good luck Okie! Maybe the landowner has an old hunk of fence you could drag around to cover the seeds while waiting for rain. It will be interesting to see how the rock picking went. Looking forward to hearing the stories.

Good luck. Sounds like some tough conditions/circumstances. The small seed will help, but you still gotta get rain for germination and even more to keep the plants alive. Hope all goes well for you and you have a resounding success.

They do have rock buckets that should work for the picking rocks from the areas to be planted. Hopefully he understands it is never a guarantee that the plot will be magazine cover worthy.

Well, I was all loaded up last night and I got there just after sunrise. I had brushhogged this area 2 weeks ago and it was loaded in sumac. I sprayed it with GLY last Sunday and this is what it looked like when I started.
73ab7b4e05d2ea8ba8cb34f436dbb92a.jpg

And this is what it looked like after over 3 hours of chisel plowing and piling up mounds of sumac roots in various areas.

efdc421cf8311fd9ab81cf0d19efafd1.jpg

After I took this picture I went and did his camper plot and then changed implements to my spin spreader and came back and put the very clumpy 400 lbs of lime on the big plot he provided me with and then I spread the seed and packed the plot with my tractor tires...I think it’s gonna turn out great!

Last edited:
Man that looks good. And I love long narrow plots.
It turned out better than I hoped really. At the far end of that field about 10 yards into the woods is the property line. I don’t know if his neighbor back behind him hunts but if he does a stand might appear in there. This place is pretty remote...I have to drive across 2 other of his neighbors properties to get back to his. Both of those do not hunt and are actually tree huggers...

It turned out better than I hoped really. At the far end of that field about 10 yards into the woods is the property line. I don’t know if his neighbor back behind him hunts but if he does a stand might appear in there. This place is pretty remote...I have to drive across 2 other of his neighbors properties to get back to his. Both of those do not hunt and are actually tree huggers...

It looks dang good. That seed bed is ripe for sewing and a good rain.

Yessir...I have a pretty good handle on the tractor work market...been doing it as a side gig for 5 years now and now it is the semi in my semi retired ;)

Yeah but I thought you just bush hogged commercially up until this food plot. I would charge a hell of a lot more for what you did today than I would for bush hogging. 3 hours chisel plowing makes me tired just thinking about it.

Back