Commercial Food Plot...

Yeah but I thought you just bush hogged commercially up until this food plot. I would charge a hell of a lot more for what you did today than I would for bush hogging. 3 hours chisel plowing makes me tired just thinking about it.
It wasn’t bad...brushhogging is worse because of all the unknowns and I only have a 6 foot hog...I have made a few plots in my day and I do a lot of gravel work on driveways...

And this is Oklahoma ;)

Looks great!!

A buddy and I put in over 9 acres of plots last summer for an out of state fella. It was a tough go, very similar conditions to what you describe. I’ll never forget pulling 9,000 lbs of pellet lime in a cart with my 62 horse tractor up a narrow, steep timber “road”; we had to chain my buddies 34 horse coyote in front of me. Got a little hairy for a second! No matter how hard we tried, we couldn’t talk him into waiting for fall and planting something that would actually grow. Regardless, he paid us well and didn’t complain when it didn’t turn out good at all. Some people will simply never understand or experience the joy of winter rye and clover planted in the fall...

Looks great!!

A buddy and I put in over 9 acres of plots last summer for an out of state fella. It was a tough go, very similar conditions to what you describe. I’ll never forget pulling 9,000 lbs of pellet lime in a cart with my 62 horse tractor up a narrow, steep timber “road”; we had to chain my buddies 34 horse coyote in front of me. Got a little hairy for a second! No matter how hard we tried, we couldn’t talk him into waiting for fall and planting something that would actually grow. Regardless, he paid us well and didn’t complain when it didn’t turn out good at all. Some people will simply never understand or experience the joy of winter rye and clover planted in the fall...
My summer plots are always the fall planted clover that is being protected by the winter rye grain. Summertime planted plots are a ton of work and I have better things to do lol. Too bad he didn’t listen to you the next time and let you do it right for him. My guy gave me the say on what was planted...I hope he realizes how nice this deal actually turned out....I am going back over in about 3 weeks to get some after moisture pictures.

An fyi for next season. I can tell you from experience that gly will not kill your Sericea Lespedeza but Pasturegaurd will. It's pricey but it kills it deader than a door nail. Plots look good. You do a nice job. I wish you were closer to me!

An fyi for next season. I can tell you from experience that gly will not kill your Sericea Lespedeza but Pasturegaurd will. It's pricey but it kills it deader than a door nail. Plots look good. You do a nice job. I wish you were closer to me!
Jeff, I wish I was where I can take a picture of some mature sericia lespedeza I killed dead with Gly...the secret is not to skimp on the spray. I hit that field hard! Thanks!

Okie, I’ve thought about doing a little bush hogging for folks but what you mention, (the fear of the unknown), makes me leary of it. A piece of pipe, a stump, or large chunk of cement, etc. in waist high weeds could cause lots of damage. Do you try to walk an area out to avoid this, or ?

I don’t think I’d have time to plot for anyone else since I do that on three different places now, but I’ve thought about that too.

If it’s handy, a picture of your tractor and chisel plow would be nice too !:)

My experience with spraying sericia with gly is that it comes back from root after drying down. Triclopyr/dicamba is what I try to spray it with. Regardless of what I use there seems to be a never ending supply of it.

Okie, I’ve thought about doing a little bush hogging for folks but what you mention, (the fear of the unknown), makes me leary of it. A piece of pipe, a stump, or large chunk of cement, etc. in waist high weeds could cause lots of damage. Do you try to walk an area out to avoid this, or ?

I don’t think I’d have time to plot for anyone else since I do that on three different places now, but I’ve thought about that too.

I am driving but I will get 1 up later

My experience with spraying sericia with gly is that it comes back from root after drying down. Triclopyr/dicamba is what I try to spray it with. Regardless of what I use there seems to be a never ending supply of it.
This was my experience as well my first time dealing with it. It's my understanding that Gly can be used effectively from June to seed set but you must use a heavy dose. I chose Pasturegaurd as it is target specific and the amount required is very small.

This was my experience as well my first time dealing with it. It's my understanding that Gly can be used effectively from June to seed set but you must use a heavy dose. I chose Pasturegaurd as it is target specific and the amount required is very small.
K-State says late season burning is the ticket. I saved a pasture this spring in hopes of an September burn but haven't made arrangements to do it yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

K-State says late season burning is the ticket. I saved a pasture this spring in hopes of an September burn but haven't made arrangements to do it yet.

That's interesting Cat, the KSU extension agent told me burning is the worst thing you can do with sericia, but maybe the time of year makes the difference. He told me a round of remedy during the August bloom period is very effective and from my experience, he was right.

They say August burns take seed count down from several hundred per plant to something like 7, Sept burns take it down to zero. Can probably find the study on line...

Jeff, I wish I was where I can take a picture of some mature sericia lespedeza I killed dead with Gly...the secret is not to skimp on the spray. I hit that field hard! Thanks!
I’d be careful advertising such on the web, what with laws and such.

16038865f0c216537499d545ae29e86f.jpg

I walk it out and I keep that bucket low, low, low! I have run over some pretty rough stuff with the worst being a small block Chevy block and gotten into wire many times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16038865f0c216537499d545ae29e86f.jpg

I walk it out and I keep that bucket low, low, low! I have run over some pretty rough stuff with the worst being a small block Chevy block and gotten into wire many times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pic. Nice tractor, the right color too !:D I have a chisel plow almost exactly like that one that I got in a trade but I’ve never used it. Probably be good in a new plot to get roots to the top.

Back