What to do with this crazy food plot I planted in mid June?

John D

I planted this mix of Bucks Banquet, a mix from a local seed place along with Oats in mid June. The mix has the following-
20% Orion XL Ladino Clover 20% Rapeseed 15% Purple Top Turnips 15% Tillage Radish® 10% Intermediate White Clover 10% Radium XL Alsike Clover 10% Chicory
I planted this in a half acre area that we installed our septic leach fields in. I imported a bunch of topsoil and did minimal prep with no soil test. Just put all the seed in with some starter fertilizer and dragged it in.

It's growing well but it looks like there's a lot of weed seed that came in with the soil. I'm not even sure what most of this stuff is. The oats are not quite mature yet. The dear are just starting to use the plot now. Clover in the plot is very small and not doing much yet.

I'm wondering what I should do with this plot? Should I try spraying it to kill some of the weeds or just wait till it goes dormant. I needed to get something going quick with this plot and it wasn't done at the best time of year. Not sure I should mow it. Some picks of the vegetation are included. If anyone identifies any of the weeds, let me know.

IMG_1252.jpg IMG_1250.jpg IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1254.jpg

You planted a mix of grasses and broadleaf. Spraying is not part of your equation now unless you spray for one or the other and sacrifice part of what you planted.

What is the intent for the plot? Going for the clovers or just something this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the reason why I planted this mix as it was planted in June, when I didn't think I was going to get anything to grow well. I figured with the mix plus oats I had my best shot at getting something going. The area is growing well but not sure if it's the weeds or the seed growing.

I've got areas around this that I'm planting with white clovers so I'm thinking of planting this area with something a little special that the dear will be more attracted to than the clover and will benefit them more. I'd probably like to keep a base of clover and frost seed every year with something. The soil is going to be the best I have since most of it is imported topsoil. This is not an area that I want to be tilling every season for a new crop nor an area I want to mow.

Most I really can do with this area is a throw and mow, frost seed, and spray for maintenance. Amending the soil with fertilizer and lime is also something I will do after a soil test. Thoughts?

Guess it all comes down to weed pressure. We each have our own threshold for what we consider too many weeds and depending on the type of weeds, they can be many or few, to reach that threshold.

The photos show several different things going on and carry from a good mix of clover and brassica to areas with grass headed out to areas which what I consider sparse numbers of weeds.

Honestly if I were to do anything it would be to mow just above the brassica height. Likely I would let it be and see what happens unless the grass started to take over them hit it with Cleth.

Let it go till spring. Then spray to kill grasses if u want. Mow the rest.
As for the weeds this year prob most are summer growth and will die off in fall. I’ve got similar mix and except it being ugly the deer haven’t minded at all.

if I were to do anything it would be to mow just above the brassica height. Likely I would let it be and see what happens unless the grass started to take over them hit it with Clethodim

This. If you can't mow, a weed whacker will work. Maybe toss in some cereal rye of the oats die off from mowing or spraying.

The deer are definitely starting to use it. I'm not sure I want to mow it yet as the oats aren't quite ready yet. I'm thinking about doing a mow and throw right at September 15 with this plot. I figure the oats should be about done at that time and maybe I can add some brascias and winter rye. In the late spring I can kill of the stuff I don't want and get something else going. Probably only thing that will be left is the chicory and clover.

The deer are definitely starting to use it. I'm not sure I want to mow it yet as the oats aren't quite ready yet. I'm thinking about doing a mow and throw right at September 15 with this plot. I figure the oats should be about done at that time and maybe I can add some brascias and winter rye. In the late spring I can kill of the stuff I don't want and get something else going. Probably only thing that will be left is the chicory and clover.
That's probably too late for brassicas. Oats are mostly palatable when they're young.

Back