Greenhouse Project

Close up of back wall louvers looking at from inside the house.

Vent in Back Wall.JPG

It is installed at the top of the door in the center of the back wall.

What a great thread! I love it!!!
Thanks Johnny,

I should call it Chestnut Central. Ha Ha I am excited to be this far along. I would have built my doors by now but I have an tooth that has set me down until Dentist gets it under control. I have spent too much time on the keyboard and not enough outside since Friday afternoon.
I loved your coyote harvest. Your bucks are looking great. I am hunting the wrong state.

Last edited:
What??? Are you building another Greenhouse?
Nope I got the cover on it and then have hit a delay. I have got to build my doors next.

My dentist is about to make some $$ at my expense. Lak I am just bringing this thread along slowly. Those guys that shut us down at the last place 'caused too much make up work.

Front Wall with Gray Top Coat

Gray Finish Coat.JPG

This photo has no wiggle wire channel around the arch. You can see the wide front door - my 4 wheeler will be in and out this door in order to move plants efficiently.

Thanks for reading this thread. You got questions - please let us know.

Back wall shown with sheeting in place, gray top coat of paint and wiggle wire installed prepped for shade cover.

Wiggle Wire Top of Back Wall.JPG

The photo has two red arrows pointing to the end of the wiggle wire. The hip boards will be used to raise the plastic covers up to facilitate ventilation down the side. This will help manage temperatures and protect plants. Raising the cover to the hip board height is why the wiggle wire channel stops where it does.

The back door is not as wide as the front door. The tractor pad begins at the back wall baseboard. My tractor needed to be stored on site 'cause it was not safe at the farm. It is what it is.

Front wall with wiggle channel installed.

Wiggle Wire on Front Wall.jpg

The sun is shining off the top center section of wiggle wire channel.

Still say that's going to be the best greenhouse ever!
Gosh that is high praise. I have been lucky thus far. I spent many hours on YouTube watching what others did and listened to what they did it. Right now I am grounded due to an infected tooth. Dental appointment at 10:30 AM Thursday morning. I have cabin fever.

Thank you for the very kind words. :D

If you just raise the covers on the long sides cats, dogs, and who knows what else just stroll right into your seedlings / plants. That will not work - no sir.

My hip boards are 24 inches above the baseboard. I frame them in and covered them with welded wire. The framing and the welded wire are placed on the inside of the hip board and baseboard. The covers are on the outside of the hip board and baseboard. The distance between these makes things safe for the shade cloth and the plastic covers.

Framing Example.jpg

The photo below is darker than we like but it shows the wiggle wire on the hip board and the welded wire installed down the south side long wall. It felt good the day I got it installed. Specific job involved some low down work - bending over is less fun that 20 years ago.
South Hip Board Screened.jpg

I want to show the straps I used on the hoops. Five straps on each hoop: one at each baseboard (2), one at each hip board (2) and one at ridge support (1).
Gravel Level Strap.JPG

Strap at Hip Rail.JPG

Here is a photo of the cover installed. A great deal of effort involved to get to this point.

Cover Installed.jpg

I have a issue that prevents me from working at the current time. Otherwise I would have the doors constructed and plants in the house.

I will wait instead of hire it done. Just not how I approached this project. $$ saved goes to deer hunting efforts for the 2016 season. :rolleyes:

Wow you have done a great job with the pics and descriptions. Like being right there with the build. Looks really cool. Thanks for showing.

Wow you have done a great job with the pics and descriptions. Like being right there with the build. Looks really cool. Thanks for showing.
Thank you for the kind words. :D I built on a large scale for a backyard greenhouse but anyone can do the same thing with a smaller footprint. Showing it is far more effective than writing about it. YouTube is a great resource if anyone thinks about building a greenhouse. There are many styles that can be used - not just this style I selected.

Electrician spent some time on the greenhouse today. I will have more updates soon.

This is the motor for the motorized louvers over the back door. It is roughed in but not wired just yet.

Motor 4 Louvers.jpg

With a two stage thermostat - these louvers will open 3 seconds before the exhaust fan on the opposite end turns
on to pull air thru the greenhouse.

First class. For my small greenhouse the fan blows the louvers open as it turns on. Good job to go higher tech with the size of your greenhouse.

Thanks Lak. :)
I hope they can finish tomorrow. They roughed in a plug, 3 different lights, two switches, and a thermostat in a short period of time.

I got bumped by another service call - but that is okay.

We now have motorized louvers above the back door. The motor, springs, and chain are installed.

Motor on Louvers.jpg

The thermostat is installed but we have to troubleshoot a wiring issue. The fan operates at low temps and turns off at high temps. A minor adjustment. Hope to get that solved on Monday or Tuesday.

Thermostat Installed.jpg

Back