Greenhouse Project

Wayne,have you ever heard about somebody keeping a greenhouse warm with a fire? Firewood would be a cheap alter ative and it would get warm in there.

Diamond Hunter,

Yes I have seen on YouTube where people build a firebox outside the greenhouse and pipe in the heat. I am setup that I could go that route if I wanted to as I have a gravel pad on the back of the greenhouse for parking my tractor. I have firewood available to me but if I was out of town my wife would not be able to operate that type of system.

I have been pleased with how well it has held temps at this point. It is going to be a learning process this year. If I create a small structure inside the greenhouse that is air tight I could emergency heat that with a small heater. I have an electrical outlet on my center pole for that purpose.

I have not decided which path I will take yet. A small structure inside would only have to be 4 feet high to handle my plants I currently have. Six 4 by 8 sheets of plywood would take care of the sides.

One thing I would add - the greenhouses that use wood heat are much larger in size and taller than mine. I am only 16 by 26 which gives me more options. My emergency fall back position would be to move all of my plants to my basement if we had horribly cold temperatures for four or five days consecutive.

Liquid propane looks like my first choice at this point.

You can get one of the those blue flame, ventless heaters for under $200 bucks and they run off propane. Plenty of heat for an insulated structure, not sure on the greenhouse though. Its all I heat my shop with and it is more than enough heat for that.

If I was looking on the internet, do you know who sells that specific product?

Thanks Turkey Creek.

Try Harbor Freight. My FIL has one in his shop, works great... I think that's where he got it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tractor Supply, Home Depot and Harbor Freight seem to be my options if I go that route. One consideration is a 20 lb tank setup or a 100 lb tank setup. Walmart sells some single and double burners that run off 20 lb tanks that are rated 18,000 and 30,000.

I do think 18,000 would handle the needs. Still scratching my heads.

Thanks Diamond Hunter, Turkey Creek and Catscratch for the help. It is appreciated. :)

Cold weather has arrived - it was 21 last night. I purchased a 20 pound propane tank from Tractor Supply and a one burner propane heater from Walmart. I already own a small buddy heater.

So I am using a small electric heater with a timer that has 48 decisions - 30 minute intervals for the 24 hour day.

I ran a buddy heater from 5:30 PM to 10 PM along with the electric heater. At 10:00 pm I retired the Buddy Heater and put the larger heater into use. It is rated 9,000 to 15,000 BTU. I set it on the lowest setting.

At 4:30 am, I checked the greenhouse in person, it was 50 degrees inside with 25 degrees outside. I turned off the propane heater and left the electric heater on with 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off.

At 7:30 AM we were still at 50 degrees. At 10:15 we were still at 50 degrees. The sun is out and it is a great aid at managing a heater differential. We don't have much wind at all this morning. At 10:30 AM the air temperature is 27 degrees outside.

Tonight will be a little colder than last night.

Live and learn. ;)

Early Sunday about 3 AM we got sleet and freezing rain. It hit rather hard and woke me up. I had set an electric heater on 30 minute on and 30 minute off settings with my timer. I looked at my front yard and my trees were glassed up and it was windy. The temperature was 28 degrees but my concern was bad tree limbs could cause a black out real quick.

Got dressed and headed to the greenhouse - the grass was crunchy and my pine tree had limbs almost touching the ground. I purchased a nice propane heater from Walmart rated 9,000 to 15,000 BTUs. I have to run it on low - at least with temperatures in the middle teens that is where I run it.

Here is a photo of my propane heater on low mounted on a 20 pound propane tank. It cost me $10.60 to fill the tank and I will be able to get four nights out of that tank.

Propane Heater to Stay Above 32 degrees.jpg

My goal is to stay above freezing with the emergency heat. The vinyl siding board is part of the corral I have around my plants to keep cold air off the pots. My greenhouse is 16' by 26' and the emergency heating needs have gone better than I feared. This is my first rodeo.

Thanks for reading this thread.

It is touch and go when those temps drop so quickly. Just being inside the greenhouse will help, and hopefully the heater can keep them warm enough. Good to have a backup too. Electricity can go in a blink.

Lakngulf

When I use the electric and add the propane heater on low by daylight I am generally 25 to 27 degrees above outside temperature. I can control my electrical with a timer but my propane is manually controlled by me. If I had a more expensive propane system I could have a thermostat control the time the propane heat works.

I am pleased at this point. I already own the heater and electrical timer. My propane tank I purchased at Tractor Supply for $37 bucks and change. Filling the tank is under $11 bucks and my son loaned his tank for free.

These are the facts & process I have learned thus far. :rolleyes:

Wayne, I really have enjoyed following this thread. Have been busy and just now catching up. Your greenhouse turned out great! I know you will enjoy it for years to come!

Thanks T Student

I wish all of my projects turned out as well as the greenhouse. Right now I am getting an education on maintaining temperatures in cold weather but it is going well.

I do appreciate your kind words. Hope this holiday season is good to you and yours.

Wayne

Today is going to bring us out of the deep freeze we have seen that begin on Thursday. The best night time temp was 14 degrees with 9 degrees one night and 7 degrees Saturday night. I cancelled a trip to Ohio for their Muzzle loader to care for my greenhouse. In has been three years since we have seen temps this low.

I learned a great deal about how to provide emergency heat under extremely circumstances. I use a 1500 watt electric heater with a 30 minute timer for the 24 hour day and a propane heater rated 9,000 to 15,000. What I learned is when it gets below 15 degrees I will need to add a small buddy heater that will boast the heat for about an additional 5 hours.

If I had been hunting in Ohio I would had to rely on someone else and that just would not turn out well. If I had thought a 20 pound propane tank would have lasted I have risked losing a majority of my seedlings.

The greenhouse is still in good shape. My son and grandson did go to Ohio and had a fun trip. ;)

There will be future hunting days in Ohio, the Lord willing.

Wayne

Outlook: The weather man says we will not be below freezing for the next 8 days. That will be nice for my situation.

Horrible day with 40 mile an hour wind gusts. I added two more ropes over the plastic cover and tighten up two other ropes.

On Wednesday if the winds are more reasonable I will add one more rope down the top. Today was a day I would have gotten up that high on a step ladder. Live and learn.

At this time I have 6 ropes over the plastic cover - two down the long way and four over the hoops.

Wayne

Thats probably the major factor in me building a hoop house. 40 mph winds are pretty common here and gusts much higher during storms. With that being said hoop houses are subjected to pretty strong winds in various locations and are apparently able to withstand them.

Keeping gh warm enough for plants at 9 degrees will be tough. Do you have natural gas at your house? I have a 100 lb propane but it runs out eventually. I have a tank for house but have not run line yet.
Good luck

Lakngulf

My greenhouse is tight enough and small enough that I can handle 9 degrees. I have to add a second propane heater so that I have one in each end and my electric heater in the center. Anytime where the temp is below 15 degrees I eliminate the cycles where the electric heater is off. Other times I have the electric 30 minutes on followed by 30 minutes off.

I use a propane heater rated 9,000 to 15,000 BTUs. My buddy heater was in Ohio with my son and grandson on their Muzzle Loader hunt. The small propane canister will last about 5 to 6 hours and would have made all of the differences in the world if I ran it night as the extra propane heater.

Because I was concerned about a hard freeze if my propane ran out I didn't run my main propane heater on medium or high. I purchased a 30 pound tank and have two 20 pound tanks now. Our freeze spell is the lowest temps we have had in three years. I learned the things that I need to know.

The difficulty is when they harsh temps last all day long and you get no increase in daytime temps.

My goal for next winter is to add a thermostat to the greenhouse and be able to cycle a propane heater on and off. Right now I will baby sit it while I learn what is what. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Back