Geo in Co

Thanks guys.

Getting pretty close to elk season now...looking forward to the ride! Get 3m figured out and I will give you some company in a year or so... ;)

By the time that I start getting work out the door again it will be elk season and it looks like I will be learning on the job. I did get a cow call the other day but I sound more like a jay bird than a cow.

Morning walk.

DSC06341 (1200 x 900).jpg

My friend Richard drove out from Michigan yesterday he's going to screw my roof back down on to my house. No trout for the pan yesterday.

DSC06345 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06347 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06348 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Geo,

They moved all of the farm and land threads to this one section. We have a great group of these. I realized I had missed seeing your pictures of that wonderful country you call home.

Home each day is an adventure - sort of think it is. Hope the cow call is improving.

Looking forward to another update.

Last edited:
Never used an elk call - surely not any harder then a turkey or duck call? You'll get it sounding good in no time. I bet there are tons of good How To videos on YouTube.

Never used an elk call - surely not any harder then a turkey or duck call? You'll get it sounding good in no time. I bet there are tons of good How To videos on YouTube.

Funny you say this. I'm fine on a turkey call but I can't blow a duck call to save my life and I love to duck hunt, I'm just a quiet duck hunter....

It takes lots of energy and endurance to hike in the mountains, which keeps poachers, road hunters and out of shape hunters out. You can go where others can't follow, and there are honey holes to be discovered. Love the wilderness pics!

Seeing all those pics gets me pumped for my trip to Pagosa Springs in 3 weeks. We stay in a condo for week and take day trips. We will head down to Navajo Dam a couple times and fish the San Juan. One of the best trout fisheries in the country. Williams creek Res is a beautiful place up there. Driving those roads and looking for elk is a blast.

Geo,

They moved all of the farm and land threads to this one section. We have a great group of these. I realized I had missed seeing your pictures of that wonderful country you call home.

Home each day is an adventure - sort of think it is. Hope the cow call is improving.

Looking forward to another update.

Funny you say this. I'm fine on a turkey call but I can't blow a duck call to save my life and I love to duck hunt, I'm just a quiet duck hunter....

I figured the call out, bite pressure, blow, release pressure = a cow mew.

It takes lots of energy and endurance to hike in the mountains, which keeps poachers, road hunters and out of shape hunters out. You can go where others can't follow, and there are honey holes to be discovered. Love the wilderness pics!

Thanks Brad, I'm still not sure that I have what it takes.

The Primos "Hoochie Mama" isn't bad, and anybody can use it.

Ya, I bought a cowgirl.

Seeing all those pics gets me pumped for my trip to Pagosa Springs in 3 weeks. We stay in a condo for week and take day trips. We will head down to Navajo Dam a couple times and fish the San Juan. One of the best trout fisheries in the country. Williams creek Res is a beautiful place up there. Driving those roads and looking for elk is a blast.

I'll get down there some day if I ever become a fly fisherman. For now I'm eating them out of both ends of WCR.

The Middle Fork of the Piedra.

middle fork piedra (1200 x 784).jpg DSC06400 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06352 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06362 (1200 x 900).jpg

Hank has no problem getting across the river when there is a squirrel waiting on the other side.

DSC06361 (1200 x 900).jpg

It's a different story when there is too much time to think about it.

DSC06383 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC06389 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Wow, what a beautiful place to live! The fish in the frying pan have salmon color meat, indicating that they're natural reproduction. Pretty fish and good eating.

wow Geo - you really have some great places there. I have some family out in Colorado Springs area and we have yet to get out there to see them. I tell my wife it's a bad idea, because I may never want to come back. She just laughs, but she knows there is a serious tone to it. Colorado offers so much diversity it's great.....especially for a big game hunter. Obviously the views and fishing are dynamite as well. I look forward to seeing more.

I figured the call out, bite pressure, blow, release pressure = a cow mew.

Thanks Brad, I'm still not sure that I have what it takes.

Ya, I bought a cowgirl.

I'll get down there some day if I ever become a fly fisherman. For now I'm eating them out of both ends of WCR.

The Middle Fork of the Piedra.

View attachment 1963 View attachment 1964

View attachment 1965

View attachment 1966

Hank has no problem getting across the river when there is a squirrel waiting on the other side.

View attachment 1970

It's a different story when there is too much time to think about it.

View attachment 1971

View attachment 1969

G

I have fished the Piedra just below Williams resevouir and did quite well. Such a beautiful little stream. The fish are not big but they are plentiful.

Native brook trout, are little jewels. Rolled in flower I eat the fins and cheek meat. That's some good eat'n right there!

I can only imagine how good those trout must taste. The thing I found out about eating the Rainbows they stock here is that the smaller they are the better they taste.

PS: If you keep posting photos of that beautiful country I'm going to have to tie myself down to keep from jumping in the truck and joining you. Can't happen but I can dream I guess.

Back