Elevated box stands

Turkish

I have a spot on a well-used food plot that I intend to build a blind to get a closer shot for a young hunter. We try to baby this spot, as we can reliably see our best bucks in daylight. Up until now, we’ve observed this plot from a ladder stand about 100-150 yards away.

There is an old cattle catch pen with trees around it that would hide a stand somewhat. The blind will be elevated 4-6 feet off the ground — no real need to be very high.

I was thinking about building a wooden stand. Then I thought of the idea of just building the elevated platform and using a pop up blind on top. Would you have concern with the pop up blind, if it’s just put up during the season? Thoughts on the two options?

I would prefer the permanent blind myself. I’ve hunted from both, but popups are relegated to turkey hunting or bowhunting deer and antelope. Hunting on the go so to speak.

The permanent blind gives you so many more options that are conducive to a younger hunter’s success. Things like a comfortable chair of just the right height and a really good rest are very important in my opinion for youngsters. Also, the weather factor can’t be overlooked. In a 5x5 or 6x6 blind there’s room to spread out and have a heater when it’s needed. I hunt by myself 90% of the time, but all my blinds are two man blinds, my pack goes in the other chair and I have lots of room.

I don’t enjoy hunting out of a blind but I do agree about them being useful for young hunters or horrible weather conditions.

And in those two situations nothing beats a hard sided/top blind. It allows for more error of noise and movement along with being much warmer even if a heater isn’t being used.

In your situation, I'd definitely go with a hardsided blind, scent control could be better, with the right blind.

I don’t enjoy hunting out of a blind but I do agree about them being useful for young hunters or horrible weather conditions.

And in those two situations nothing beats a hard sided/top blind. It allows for more error of noise and movement along with being much warmer even if a heater isn’t being used.

When I was a young guy I sat on the ground, but I ain’t young anymore:) Now, when I coyote hunt I still sit on the ground but one leg is gonna go to sleep within 20 minutes. That’s how I know when I’ve called enough to move ! :D

That close of action especially on food plots don't care if you set it up with the wind in mind scent will be your enemy and no pop up will contain it.

Even a lot of my enclosed builds I'm foaming any gap to seal in best I can

I was always rain or shine hunter I'm in tree and that gets old i don't care how good the gear is. When it is sleeting and raining it is sure nice to be able to still be hunting and windows closed and can have heat on warming my toes. Especially with youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being familiar with either type of stand, I had not considered that scent control may be easier in one than the other. Thanks!

Now to find a good plan to us.

Obviously are commercially available products...all depends on what willing to spend....best blinds out there are in my opinion 360 Hunting Blind (2k-3k). I think the muddy bulls and redneck blinds are overrated and overpriced. Then have some of the lower ends, maybe some like lazyman blinds for 1k (https://mylazymanstands.com/stands.html).

Built a lot over the years and still build some from time to time. By time i add up materials, hardware, windows, etc. Its pretty easy to get to 1k not to mention the time. Not just going to be a one weekend project in my experience.

Obviously are commercially available products...all depends on what willing to spend....best blinds out there are in my opinion 360 Hunting Blind (2k-3k). I think the muddy bulls and redneck blinds are overrated and overpriced. Then have some of the lower ends, maybe some like lazyman blinds for 1k (https://mylazymanstands.com/stands.html).

Built a lot over the years and still build some from time to time. By time i add up materials, hardware, windows, etc. Its pretty easy to get to 1k not to mention the time. Not just going to be a one weekend project in my experience.

We have 3 360 blinds. The basic models, so it’s tough to shoot a bow or crossbow out of them. But for a rifle they are fantastic. They have plenty of window upgrades that would be very beneficial for anyone’s specific hunting needs.

Those are nice looking, but they don’t seem to be available within 500 miles of me. The Shanty model would be perfect for my needs.
Reach out to them directly...i only have one dealer by me, but in normal times where we actually have expos to go to this time of year they are number of deer/turkey shows around a lot of states and i know they are PA company and typically make it up my way to WI.

I have all the makings right now to build a platform and put my 2nd redneck gillie blind on it.My first one is on a hay trailer so I can move it.They are a really good blind and by slipping the cover off after season will last for years.Watch for their sales on the website

So one concern I had with the cheaper elevated ground blind option was putting up and taking down every year — I wondered if this would bother deer more than a year-round permanent blind/stand.

Last edited:
So one concern I had with the cheaper elevated ground blind option was putting up and taking down every year — I wondered if this would bother deer more than a year-round permanent blind/stand.
The less commotion the better for a deer hunting spot. To not go within 200-300 yards of your best hunting spot all year unless on a tractor doing work pays noticeable dividends.

Not to mention, especially those old does do not like the sudden appearance of ground blind all of a sudden. Permanent blinds have definate advantage where deer consider that just part of the landscape, espcecially if they have grown up with it always being there they don't associate it with hey that's one of those houses that humans sit in (unless you get busted!)

Turkish - We've had a Redneck Predator 360 out for 4 seasons now. As good today as it was the day we put it up. I notice you're in MS, so the issue you will face with a Redneck or similar made blind is the heat during early season. But come mid November and all the way thru the end of the season, it is pure pleasure to sit comfortably in a swivel office style chair with enough room to comfortably hunt 2 people. The glass windows are tinted and won't fade over time. And with the windows closed until game enters the plot, pretty much scent proof as all windows and door have a firm foam weather seal around them.

I don't like hunting in enclosed blinds at all anymore. I much prefer being in the open or on the ground but then I hunt just about everyday.

That said no question a quality box blind on a food plot is a deadly combination. Comfortable, quiet, concealed, good rest for a shot, great for two and you can have quiet conversations, and if the weather is foul certainly that the place to be.

Make sure the windows are sized and function effectively.

I used to hate enclosed blinds and vowed to never hunt out of one mainly because I only hunt with stick and string. But now that I have two young boys, one 3-1/2 and the other 1 years old, I’ll be buying an enclosed blind because it’s pretty much the only way most times I can get out hunting.

I’ve pretty much settled on getting a Muddy Bull blind with the 5’ platform mainly because I prefer how it is built and I like the options that they have. The only one I found that compared to the quality of the Muddy was the Redneck Blinds but I much prefer the looks and construction of the Muddy though.

Back