Dr. Harper's new book on food plots and early successional plants

BenAllgood

I just received this email from Dr. Harper:

"Ben,

The revised edition of Wildlife Food Plots and Early Successional Plants finally shipped last week and copies are now available at https://nocsopublishing.com/. The revised edition has been in process for almost 2 years. I revised all 15 chapters, rewrote a couple of them, included some new mixtures that we have been working on, included some hunting strategies throughout, updated and revised all appendices, including the herbicide appendices, added many new plants to the Plant ID Guide in the back, bringing the total to more than 300 species, which includes descriptive information for each, multiple color photos for each, information on whether the plant is good for wildlife or not, and if so, how, and if not, how to get rid of it. It should be very useful for any serious land manager who is using food plots in a management plan or is managing early successional communities. I appreciate your interest!

Craig"

I've not owned one of the previous books but want one of these. However, the link at the web site doesn't work for me. Tried to buy one and nothing happened.......anyone else..?

I've not owned one of the previous books but want one of these. However, the link at the web site doesn't work for me. Tried to buy one and nothing happened.......anyone else..?

It just worked for me. Browsers are sometime incompatible or setting get in the way. I use Chrome (not an endorsement, just what I'm using).

It just worked for me. Browsers are sometime incompatible or setting get in the way. I use Chrome (not an endorsement, just what I'm using).

LOL, I was using Chrome and it wasn't working. Just tried it on Internet Explorer and it went right through....

Thanks for posting this. Got my copy on the way too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you guys get delivery please post on here or PM me regarding the geographic scope of the early succession sections. I'm interested to purchase the book if it covers native plants in the north. Thanks.

Wow 50+$ ??? I’ll wait for the paperback version. Plus I can sponge off you guys, I’ve done that for years. Maybe that certain QDM.org is requiring a chunk of royalty!

^^^^ Well then if anyone is confused on what to get me for Christmas....just sayin.

I am almost done reading the new book that just came out. I really enjoyed it... talk about really amping up the data related to chemicals and application... very impressed. Definitely worth the buy... no way one person could remember the volume of data that's included.

Wow 50+$ ??? I’ll wait for the paperback version. Plus I can sponge off you guys, I’ve done that for years. Maybe that certain QDM.org is requiring a chunk of royalty!

its more of a field guide I believe hence its paperback binding

The real question is how long it will take to arrive...

I received it today. I had major issues with the publisher and ended up having to contact them directly. I then received a message from Craig's wife who indicated they had major problems with the distributor and many people were not receiving the book. She then had to take over shipment.

Anyways, she sent me a signed copy the next day and now that I have it, I understand the price point. I can't wait to dive in. I am not expecting to gain anything groundbreaking at this point, but you always hope for a tidbit here and there. Will be great reading for my post hunt boredom while I wait on spring turks.

I can finally follow up on this, as I have now read the book thanks to being stuck away from my properties right now.

Here I guess is my short review:

It has a ton of good information, but nothing that changed my life or management. A lot of the principals outlined are something you could learn elsewhere. If you have no food plot experience, it's a great read as a place to get off the ground for food plots. The early successional habitat information is much more limited.

My biggest issue with the book is that it's based primarily on southern climates, with a bit of "if you're in the north it will be different" thrown in to say it's not a one size fits all. If I lived in Tennessee it would be a much better resource than Minnesota.

I learn a lot from this forum, and generally the information is easier to extract via the search function.

If you have the means, it's worth the read. I probably won't dig too deep into it again, aside from the reference sections at the back in regards to fertilizer/herbicide/insecticide.

I can finally follow up on this, as I have now read the book thanks to being stuck away from my properties right now.

Here I guess is my short review:

It has a ton of good information, but nothing that changed my life or management. A lot of the principals outlined are something you could learn elsewhere. If you have no food plot experience, it's a great read as a place to get off the ground for food plots. The early successional habitat information is much more limited.

My biggest issue with the book is that it's based primarily on southern climates, with a bit of "if you're in the north it will be different" thrown in to say it's not a one size fits all. If I lived in Tennessee it would be a much better resource than Minnesota.

I learn a lot from this forum, and generally the information is easier to extract via the search function.

If you have the means, it's worth the read. I probably won't dig too deep into it again, aside from the reference sections at the back in regards to fertilizer/herbicide/insecticide.

Interesting perspective

Dr Harper is a southern Paul Knox in my view

A lot of my favorite authors( Bartylla,etc) require some "if you're in the south it will be different"!!!! view when reading their recs

I enjoy reading them all, but still learn the most from the arena of ideas that is this forum

bill

Back