Clover plot question

coolbrze0

My clover plots are coming in well, going into year 2 on 2 of them & year 1 on 2 of them. Do y'all lightly overseed your clover plots (w/ clover) each year or just wait until they die out to redo the plot entirely? It would seem like adding a little clover every Fall would keep the plot thick forever. Would the new seeds not germinate due to lack of sufficient sunlight?

Never had to thicken up a clover plot, except when very shady. They usually fill in on their own. If you put down enough P & K at planting, control grasses and broadleaf weeds, mow weeds off before they flower .... a white clover plot can be maintained indefinitely.

Never had to thicken up a clover plot, except when very shady. They usually fill in on their own. If you put down enough P & K at planting, control grasses and broadleaf weeds, mow weeds off before they flower .... a white clover plot can be maintained indefinitely.

Second this.

My clover plots are coming in well, going into year 2 on 2 of them & year 1 on 2 of them. Do y'all lightly overseed your clover plots (w/ clover) each year or just wait until they die out to redo the plot entirely? It would seem like adding a little clover every Fall would keep the plot thick forever. Would the new seeds not germinate due to lack of sufficient sunlight?
What variety of clover? What planting method? What is weed situation? What are your goals? Nearby ag and what kind? And about a dozen other questions.

What variety of clover? What planting method? What is weed situation? What are your goals? Nearby ag and what kind? And about a dozen other questions.

Nutrients are good (I've been fertilizing a lot since we purchased a few years ago) & pH is 6.3. If a white clover plot can be maintained indefinitely, why do I always hear they only last 4-5 years? Shade would be my main drawback, a few portions of my plots receive only moderate sunlight are not as thick as the portions that are moderate + to full sunlight.

I've got Durana, WI white clover, & Will Ladino clover. Mountain property, I raked my plots, broadcasted seed w/ a hand spreader, & lightly raked the seed in w/ a drag. Weeds are minimal suprisingly. Goals are to feed deer & turkey and keep erosion to a minimum. Nearby ag is over 1.5 miles away - corn, beans & winter rye/wheat. Not sure what all these questions are for to answer my question...

Nutrients are good (I've been fertilizing a lot since we purchased a few years ago) & pH is 6.3. If a white clover plot can be maintained indefinitely, why do I always hear they only last 4-5 years?

Nutrient drawdown. Monocultures only last as long as their fertility advantage in the soil. Once they exhaust their conditions, a new champion will emerge for the next condition. I don't think you can fertilize your way to clover perpetuity. You have to grow something out there with it to keep pumping high fiber (carbon) into the soil to feed the clover.

Not prob necessary but yes I over seed my WC perennial plots each fall with light seed of WC and 25#/ac of WR. WC spreads by seed of course but mainly by its stolons just like the grasses of your yard does to fill in bare spots. If WC never produced seed in a plot it would do pretty well just by this intrinsic property of self propagation. The grain helps use up some of the surplus N that clovers can produce and help control weeds and grasses. I add 0-20-20 fert spring or fall and of course keep ph 6+. If you feel the need you can spray grasses each May w Cleth and mow occasionally to control weeds.
You already taught yourself a valuable lesson as you have few weeds because you didn’t do much disturbing the soil and its weed seed banks. As you know however, many weeds are deer and turkey attractive at times thru the year.
As for a clover plot diminishing after 4-5 years, its hogwash, promoted by who knows who. I’ve got some 10 years old and I bet they have another 10 in them. Just don’t worry the weed and grass and go plant some fruit trees. Good luck.

Nutrients are good (I've been fertilizing a lot since we purchased a few years ago) & pH is 6.3. If a white clover plot can be maintained indefinitely, why do I always hear they only last 4-5 years? Shade would be my main drawback, a few portions of my plots receive only moderate sunlight are not as thick as the portions that are moderate + to full sunlight.

I've got Durana, WI white clover, & Will Ladino clover. Mountain property, I raked my plots, broadcasted seed w/ a hand spreader, & lightly raked the seed in w/ a drag. Weeds are minimal suprisingly. Goals are to feed deer & turkey and keep erosion to a minimum. Nearby ag is over 1.5 miles away - corn, beans & winter rye/wheat. Not sure what all these questions are for to answer my question...
Goals should always be the 1st question we consider. The answers to that lead to a whole cascade of other question and decisions, which include varieties we choose to plant. Different varieties have different life spans and herbicide needs. Different weeds create different approaches.
Not ripping on you, but sometimes we plotters ask questions and expect simple answers. I think we all do it.
I really try (and sometimes fail) not to jump in with broad brush answers. Asking questions helps for better answers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks again guys! Dogghr - what is this Cleth you speak of? Got some weeds popping up here in the last 10 days & it if I can spray my clover plots w/ something that will kill the weeds & not the clover, I think I should...

I ain't Dogghr, but cleth (clethodim) kills grasses, not weeds. Butyrac (2-4BD) will kill weeds in your clover and not harm any clovers I'm familiar with. I usually controll my weeds by mowing about 8"/10" high after the clover blooms and before it gets too hot.

As it is with any plant, clover will produce it's own seeds, adding to the naturally available seed bank. I'm not shy about helping maintain the seed bank by throwing a little more clover seed in existing clover. It's insurance. Like with most (but not all) insurances, it's probably a waste of money. However, I enjoy supporting the seed industry,

Well shoot - looks like I need a license in VA to buy 24DB, cleth, or Imox so I'll be going the diluted Gly mix rate w/ water in my sprayer. I've heard different suggestions, anyone have any personal recommendations as to gly / water mix rate that won't kill my white clover? Should I spray a few days before rain or wait till the Fall?

Well shoot - looks like I need a license in VA to buy 24DB, cleth, or Imox so I'll be going the diluted Gly mix rate w/ water in my sprayer. I've heard different suggestions, anyone have any personal recommendations as to gly / water mix rate that won't kill my white clover? Should I spray a few days before rain or wait till the Fall?

Get your cleth from Rural King. No need for a license. For the rest of your list you will need to get the license.

Please don’t do this. It’s a completely irresponsible use of glyphosate, and it’s a good example of why herbicides require a licensed.

What kind of license. I don't have a license (now).

You can get Arrest Max from Southern States or just order Cleth from Amazon. I believe a license is only required if you are spraying for compensation (ie business).

I goofed - it's VI (Virgin Islands) not Virginia. Was wondering why they had the wrong abbreviation for VA until I did more research on it...

Back