Best clover and cereal seed choices for new partial shade plot.

Shufigo

Guys,
I'm getting the first applications of lime down now on my new "pine clear cut' plots. My question this time refers to the sections of the plot which will be in partial shade. The shade comes from mature pines, so some sunlight will be filtering through. Do you know if there are some clover varieties which are more shade tolerant than others? Also, I'm going in the direction of adding oats into my initial spring clover planting. Do you have any words about if that would be the best choice for a cereal mix? So, which clovers and which cereals to mix?

Guys,
I'm getting the first applications of lime down now on my new "pine clear cut' plots. My question this time refers to the sections of the plot which will be in partial shade. The shade comes from mature pines, so some sunlight will be filtering through. Do you know if there are some clover varieties which are more shade tolerant than others? Also, I'm going in the direction of adding oats into my initial spring clover planting. Do you have any words about if that would be the best choice for a cereal mix? So, which clovers and which cereals to mix?
I have a clover strip 50 yards wide and 150 yards long in the middle of pines, and the clover does the best in the afternoon shade of the pines because clover is a plant that likes some shade from the heat of the sun to begin with. I'd plant a clover mix and see what takes over.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve always had good luck with Whitetail Institute clover or the clover and chicory mix. It’s the only BoB seed I buy, but it has never disappointed. It does really well partially shaded as MM described.

Hmmm. I've kind of avoided the BOB concept as a result of being a follower of our "parent" , discontinued web site - which preached it's more cost effective to use the individual components of the BOB mix. But, other than the $$, why argue with success? Does anyone on here know the dominant varieties in WI? I think I'll try looking up the on-bag component listing.

Hmmm. I've kind of avoided the BOB concept as a result of being a follower of our "parent" , discontinued web site - which preached it's more cost effective to use the individual components of the BOB mix. But, other than the $$, why argue with success? Does anyone on here know the dominant varieties in WI? I think I'll try looking up the on-bag component listing.

I can’t remember other than it contains three varieties of white clover. I just know it has always worked for me in the right soil AND the right ph. Gotta get that ph right !

Back