Chickasaw plum

We've got several nice Chickasaw plum thickets that were growing wild when we bought the place. Here, they drop around the middle of june.
Since they were wild obviously we didn't need tubes, but you may depending on your deer density. They suckered profusely so once they get a start they should do fine.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

We've got several nice Chickasaw plum thickets that were growing wild when we bought the place. Here, they drop around the middle of june.
Since they were wild obviously we didn't need tubes, but you may depending on your deer density. They suckered profusely so once they get a start they should do fine.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

If you didn't have them would you have planted them?

I ordered 100 bare root from Arborgen

I wanted them to produce thickets

At shipping date,was told they weren't available due to ''poor condition this year"

will try again next year

bill

I ordered 100 bare root from Arborgen

I wanted them to produce thickets

At shipping date,was told they weren't available due to ''poor condition this year"

will try again next year

bill

So if you hinge cut an area and pop some of these in to help make a thicket it could add bedding and food in summer. Seems like an attractive plan.

I have planted around 3000 sandhill plum is what we call them.Every animal I have on the farm uses these and they grow good in my sandy soil. I remember as a kid riding in the back of the pickup and stopping and picking plums for jelly.Most of them got sprayed out years ago.I like planting them in NWSG it's one of the islands of cover I always talk about.If fact just 3 days ago I was mowing some NWSG and when I drow by one of these plum patches i saw something move and it was a doe throwing her head around to look at me,there were 2 of them that took off.shrub plots 003.jpg shrub plots 003.jpg shrub plots 003.jpg

I planted several in clumps of five each about ten years ago. They have grown VERY slow, produced fruit only once (last year), and have never made any suckers. Very disappointed in them. They grow wild on places all around me and become almost a weed there--but not on my place. They are fine eating when ripe though, or at least the wild ones are.

Last edited:
Dont plant too close as they will fill in.On some of my WHIP plantings I had to use luminite and this keeps sucker from coming up.I also planted some by seed from sherrfields but haven't seed them come up yet.Here is a pic of new planting 2 years ago

Attachments

• sandhill.jpg
    sandhill.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
If you have decent soil I would check into fragrant sumac,It grows really good,feeds game birds.The deer will rub it but they bounce right back.The sumac has a more open effectfragrant sumac 17.jpg fragrant sumac 17.jpg

I planted some American and Chickasaw a few years back........they have lived and grown well. One thing I will say is that I don't believe they will suckers and spread for me (us) like they do in sandy soil. Just not sure they will do that in our clays. I will say that deer LOVE them and go out of their way to eat what they can reach, even on their hind legs to nip the tops of them out of ttee tubes!

I don't know if they sucker are they are from dropped seeds.I put a trail cam on a stake about a foot off the ground in a little opening in a plum patch and I think the only animals I didn't get pictures of eating plums was a bobcat and a skunk.Dang double pics I got it to stop doing it for awhile now seems to be starting up again

63eb118794c7ffa3b4027165b7a806d0.jpg

This photo is from May 15, 2016 of a LOADED 3 yr old Chickasaw plum on my farm in SW Mississippi. I have a planted several clumps of these together to fork thickets. They really like this spot. I planted these in 2014, seedlings from Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries.

They really do taste good if you can beat the birds to them.My lab has even figured that out and the patch is where she heads when they are ripe

Back