Came across this disturbing photo.. How often does this happen?

Chipdasqrrl

Just saw this picture (not mine) and it makes me want to go out and hunt every last coyote. I know they’ll attack weak or young deer, but a fully grown buck?IMG_4802.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That is an awful sight for sure; we shoot the coyotes whenever a legal opportunity presents itself and we give permission to a skilled coyote caller to hunt the coyote here throughout the winter months. I have seen here where coyotes killed a deer in the Am and by the next morning every single bit of that deer was gone/disappeared like it never happened. It occurs here and likely elsewhere more than we know.

It is common here - and that picture is enough to make you sick. Our fawn to doe ratio is .5 fawns per doe and the average adult doe carries 1.7 fetuses. Something is killing a lot of fawns - and there are a lot of current studies in the south proving it is coyotes. They are probably killing hundreds of thousands statewide. If we shoot a deer and dont find it within a few hours - it will be nothing but a skeleton when we do find it. We have had a number of times when coyotes ate the ham off a deer within 30 min of shooting it

Number 1 killer of deer is hunters, number 2 is cars. The third and on options are often slow and ugly. An old deer in the wild still doesn't live half as long as our dogs.

That buck probably had an injury they were capitalizing on, but then again maybe not.

Nature is not looking for a quick, clean kill. It is looking for survival.

I would tend to agree that more than likely the deer suffered some sort of issue that weakened him. The yotes are simply seizing an opportunity. I hate to see it as well, but it's natures way. That said....it won't keep me from killing every yote I can legally shoot! I think yotes have a far greater impact on fawn recruitment than on killing older class deer, but I am sure they get enough of those as well. I bet many a yote gets fed from deer that had hunters make poor shots or from deer that where hit by cars and not killed but injured all the same.

I have seen a small buck that was almost that bad they had almost hamstrung him.I tried to end his misery but he didn't offer a shot.In the last study I read 50% of fawns in the midwest are killed by yotes.I bet coons kill a fair amount of fawns also

Anyone have any beginner tips for hunting them? Perhaps a good way to bait them in? Also how is night hunting done?
One option I’ve considered is setting up a light on the edge of the woods behind the house, with some sort of bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I'm holding off till the first of the year when i'm for sure done deer hunting and then I have a tikka .223 and electric call gonna try my luck at it for the first time, i bet i see atleast a dozen every time i sit anymore

I'm having a hard time buying the picture as authentic.
Thank you. Why is there not a drop of blood on that white snow? And that deer face is way too relaxed to be fighting for his life. Wasn't going to say anything, but since you opened that door.

Exactly. Blood everywhere except on the white snow. I think I've seen the picture in another context somewhere. Also, it looks like there's a man standing in the upper left of the picture. Five snarling coywolves bloodying a docile, massive deer while an audience stands and watches. What did P.T. Barnum say?

The buck that came by me had a big chunk out of his hip and The area where you would hand a deer from by the hamstring was ripped open and you could see right through the area.Blood up and down both legs half the hide was ripped off that one leg.never found him dead but haven't seen him since

His mouth is gaped wide open even in the first pic. Looks pretty legit to me.

Me too. Look at the coyote's bloody mouth in the top pic of the two above. Gotta remember where it is. It could be below zero and the blood is frozen before it drains off the deer's legs.

Me too. Look at the coyote's bloody mouth in the top pic of the two above. Gotta remember where it is. It could be below zero and the blood is frozen before it drains off the deer's legs.

Yes, very cold. Per the data on the pictures it's minus 2.2 degrees Fahrenheit ( minus19 Celsius).

Sure, any pic can be faked, but I see no reason not to believe it. I looked and found the source of the pictures. They came from the Canadian Whitetail Facebook page.

That deer is obviously old and very heavy bodied. Considering his age and size, he isn't going to have the endurance to outdistance a pack of coyotes, and certainly wouldn't have the agility once depleted of his energy to defend his flank.

Whether it's real or not we may never know, but you can rest assured that this is something that could easily happen. My father once witnessed a single coyote pursuing a 3 year old buck in the summer on his farm. 99% of the time he would have had a rifle, but on this occasion he didn't. He said the deer's tongue was literally hanging out. The deer came within a few feet of where he was cutting wood, and he stepped between the deer and yote, which was about 100 yards behind it. When the yote saw him, it took off in the opposite direction at full throttle, and the chase ended.

I got a daylight picture this fall of the only old buck I had being chased by a single coyote (at least one coyote was all I got on camera). The coyote was about 15 seconds behind the buck, and both were running hard.

Also this fall, I had a picture of two does feeding in a small food plot in daylight. Last pic I had of them, they were bolting away, and 5 seconds later I got a single big coyote pursuing them.

Man is a predator, and coyotes are predators. Their prey overlaps in some instances - whitetail deer.

Coyotes kill foxes because the coyote is the superior predator and because foxes compete with them for food. I kill every coyote I can for the same reason - I'm the superior predator over them, and they are competing with me. So for any predator lovers out there, you should really love me a lot. I'm a cold blooded killer of coyotes..............................

Last edited:
Ive seen coyotes chasing deer while i was deer hunting on 3 occasions. Two of those occasions the animals were separated by less than ten yards.

Back