As close to the dream property as I am going to get, at least for now

Your thread always brings a smile to my face. And I know it was bad, but that tractor story in post 8 just cracks me up. I know the pain. Good to read again. Thanks.

I give you a huge thumbs up for your perseverance! As you get more experience, fewer things will break.....hang in there! Nice looking property!
I
We got an optimist in the house.
I'll bet you that I can prove you wrong and I will do it without even trying. :p;)

Last edited:
Good to see you made the move to this site--I'd be lonely without a fellow Catskill's rock farmer:)

Glad we have a place to share the good, the bad and the ugly.

FYI I am running a sale on rocks if you know anyone who might be interested. It is a ten for one deal, buy one and you get ten for free, and the best part is that I let you pick the ones you want.

Last edited:
Your thread always brings a smile to my face. And I know it was bad, but that tractor story in post 8 just cracks me up. I know the pain. Good to read again. Thanks.

I broke something else, but I am not saying yet. It took a metal detector to find it :oops:

Great save on your thread. I cracked up re-reading about your tractor misfortunes, I have my share of issues also! Fortunately my tractor has been solid other than a couple flat tires at the worst time or place.

While the plots did not grow like I had hoped, lack of rain and soil issues, I was however ecstatic to see some of these in both brassica plots. They are not huge like I have seen in other posts and there are not many, but they will do.
332cyn9.jpg

13yqkj4.jpg

There were some plants that looked like this.
294p004.jpg

Last edited:
I had some time to explore the property with a camera and one of my first spots was this area that I saw back in spring turkey season. This stone "thing" is a ways up the mountain and for the life of me I cannot figure out what it was. It is not a stone wall, and the few pictures I took really do not convey what it really looks like. My Uncle thought it might have been the foundation to a very small and I mean small cabin, but I have my doubts on that one. The stone structure predates the trees that have grown up in front of it.
23ii7bp.jpg

33z63qq.jpg

t6fkt4.jpg

This part is on the other side and it almost looks like narrow doorways.
There is no evidence of any old logs or framing material.
I am hoping that the previous owner may have some insight into what it was, but I know it predates their ownership.
117gpiv.jpg

Last edited:
About 100 feet away I found this. This one is just an "L" in shape. A spring originates between the two stone structures.
2w7mhax.jpg

2ec3hwx.jpg

Nothing beats the beauty of Fall.
If only I could work a camera and really capture what the eye is actually seeing.
2dgqd1s.jpg

28hj09j.jpg

2lnh3ww.jpg
25taqac.jpg

Last edited:
BBiondo

10-15-2015 02:05 AM
Beautiful property and great reading. Keep up the nice work.

broom_jm
10-15-2015 05:39 AM
Fantastic set of pictures that help tell a beautiful tale.

Your learning curve has certainly been steep, but your humor was never lost and your sense of accomplishment is well-deserved. It is part of the human condition that some men are compelled to build and grow; know that your motivation, perseverance and achievements are truly inspirational to some.

How fitting is it that "Evil Orange" is camouflaged by the grandeur of Fall's changing colors? Almost like some kind of salve, or perhaps a tacit apology from Nature, the source of much consternation is framed against almost unspeakable beauty, while the landscape it begrudgingly helped you sculpt provides a foreground so green it almost hurts the eye.

Thank you for conveying with painful honesty the genuine love you have for this notion of land stewardship. I suspect your toils will become lighter and your results more productive, in years to come. I sincerely hope you harvest a fat doe or majestic buck this fall, but if you don't, it is understood that your interest will not be diminished in the least.

I don't know that this thread will be made into a Sticky, but there could be no better testament to the travails and triumphs a new landowner will go through. I know I will read it again...and again. Thank you.

Jason

Triple C 10-15-2015 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM1 (Post 802952)
With temps plumeting into the 20's this weekend the growing season is over. Looking back it was a lot of work, the sore hands and fingers from picking rocks, the knees that ached at times from getting on and off the "Evil Orange" tractor, and let us not forget all of the break downs. It was a steep learning curve, but I can close the growing season with a sense of pride and accomplishment and it was all worth it.

Thanks again to all for the tips, support, and laughing along with me and not at me.

Spent the last 40 minutes with coffee in hand. What a journey for year one! Yes indeed...the growing season is done but the sense of pride in accomplishment will last for years, inspire of "Evil Orange"! Thanks for sharing. Great read and beautiful piece of property.

There has to be some known history with the rock walls. Hope you uncover the history and share with us. Happy plotting!

Last edited:
johnl48

10-15-2015 07:12 AM
Now all this thread needs is a picture of you behind your buck :D

Elkaddict
10-15-2015 07:36 AM
CTM, I've really enjoyed your journal and am pleased you've been able to experience the satisfaction of your labors. I too look forward to photos of your harvest. Keep the habitat journal/photos coming, so we can continue to enjoy the journey together.

I've got some interesting rock structures on our place I need to post up--6' high mounds meticulously put together for no apparent reason. I'll post as soon as I can find them.

dogghr 10-16-2015 03:30 PM
Great place as usual. I've got rock foundations on places I hunt like that. Seem to be just cool storage for taters and salted smacked meats I think. Cool pics

flyfixer 10-16-2015 08:30 PM
Great update, what a beautiful property! The rock walls are very cool, makes a person wonder about the previous inhabitants and the primitive life and hardships they had living off the land.

Native Hunter
10-16-2015 09:42 PM
By the looks of that place I think the dream has come true. Very nice.

I think the barrier around the spring was to keep farm animals poop out of the water they used to drink. This is a common practice with old springs.

My best guess on the other stones is perhaps what is left of a pig pen. These were common in olden days as well. I think the openings had wooden gates of some description which are now rotted away or perhaps moved to a different place where they were needed for something else.

Last edited:
On_Point

10-18-2015 03:35 PM
Glad to see your property moving along nicely after your rough start.

How has your issues with your Kubota come out? I used to have an old Kubota L2500 DT 4wd and that tractor was a workhorse. I never had a single issue with the tractor. Mine would run hot sometimes as well but pulling off the front screen and then using a backpack blower to blow out the fins on the radiator would get it operating back at normal temps again. It's definitely something to keep an eye on because once airflow gets restricted they start to heat up pretty quick.

For running a tiller in that rocky soil I have have to say you guts. All those rocks in there would scare me to death in getting a rock jammed in the tiller and snapping shears. I know a lot of guys don't like running plows but on virgin dirt they sure do a great job of finding all the things that can create costly repairs like large rocks, stumps and barbed wire.

keep the pics coming. The place is really shaping up.

cmorris1 10-18-2015 07:39 PM
Thank you very much for documenting your journey. I have enjoyed reading about your highs and lows, laughing out loud so much my wife had to read it also. As a recent land purchaser (106 in KY) I can totally relate to your "fun." One of my favorite photos is over your growing field withe Hog still on its side as if you just said "screw it" and walked away!!
Thank you for all the efforts and humor - man can i relate!
chris

cmorris1 10-18-2015 07:59 PM
Also one side note for those darn thorns, pick up some of this;
http://www.quadboss.com/tire_sealant.html
I have it in all of our atv/utvs and the front tires of my "Orange Beast"

Last edited:
CTM1

10-23-2015 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broom_jm (Post 802962)
Fantastic set of pictures that help tell a beautiful tale.

Your learning curve has certainly been steep, but your humor was never lost and your sense of accomplishment is well-deserved. It is part of the human condition that some men are compelled to build and grow; know that your motivation, perseverance and achievements are truly inspirational to some.

How fitting is it that "Evil Orange" is camouflaged by the grandeur of Fall's changing colors? Almost like some kind of salve, or perhaps a tacit apology from Nature, the source of much consternation is framed against almost unspeakable beauty, while the landscape it begrudgingly helped you sculpt provides a foreground so green it almost hurts the eye.

Thank you for conveying with painful honesty the genuine love you have for this notion of land stewardship. I suspect your toils will become lighter and your results more productive, in years to come. I sincerely hope you harvest a fat doe or majestic buck this fall, but if you don't, it is understood that your interest will not be diminished in the least.

I don't know that this thread will be made into a Sticky, but there could be no better testament to the travails and triumphs a new landowner will go through. I know I will read it again...and again. Thank you.

Jason

You have a way with words Sir, very nice. Thanks

Assuming life does not throw me any curve balls, the one thing I know is that next year I will get jump start on creating the cycle of life a little earlier.
CTM1 10-23-2015 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple C (Post 802963)
Spent the last 40 minutes with coffee in hand. What a journey for year one! Yes indeed...the growing season is done but the sense of pride in accomplishment will last for years, inspire of "Evil Orange"! Thanks for sharing. Great read and beautiful piece of property.

There has to be some known history with the rock walls. Hope you uncover the history and share with us. Happy plotting!

Glad you enjoyed the adventures of 2015.

A few days ago I had to kick start the wood stove as we dropped int the low 20's, and yesterday I was out in shorts. It seems that the weather is much like the world we are living in, crazy.

As far as the rocks walls go, I am confident that someone will have an answer.

CTM1

10-23-2015 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaddict (Post 802967)
CTM, I've really enjoyed your journal and am pleased you've been able to experience the satisfaction of your labors. I too look forward to photos of your harvest. Keep the habitat journal/photos coming, so we can continue to enjoy the journey together.

I've got some interesting rock structures on our place I need to post up--6' high mounds meticulously put together for no apparent reason. I'll post as soon as I can find them.

Farmers back in the day might have had more time on their hands then we all thought, thus they were able to make these walls and other creations.

Will do on the updates.
CTM1 10-23-2015 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogghr (Post 803309)
Great place as usual. I've got rock foundations on places I hunt like that. Seem to be just cool storage for taters and salted smacked meats I think. Cool pics

I have trouble keeping my crawl space rodent free where there is no food source, so I cannot imagine how they would have kept the vermin at bay in such a structure.

My Great Grandmother had a farm in CT, and I remember going into the old root cellar as a kid. Then we saw a copperhead in the stone foundation in the basement, it was then and there that I decided to never venture into the root cellar again, or the basement for that matter. My Grandfather sharpened his snake killing tool and made quick work of the cooperhead.
CTM1 10-23-2015 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Hunter (Post 803349)
By the looks of that place I think the dream has come true. Very nice.

I think the barrier around the spring was to keep farm animals poop out of the water they used to drink. This is a common practice with old springs.

My best guess on the other stones is perhaps what is left of a pig pen. These were common in olden days as well. I think the openings had wooden gates of some description which are now rotted away or perhaps moved to a different place where they were needed for something else.

Wow, that has to be the best potential explantion I have heard to date. It certainly gets me pointed in a direction. Thanks

CTM1

10-23-2015 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by On_Point (Post 803608)
Glad to see your property moving along nicely after your rough start.

How has your issues with your Kubota come out? I used to have an old Kubota L2500 DT 4wd and that tractor was a workhorse. I never had a single issue with the tractor. Mine would run hot sometimes as well but pulling off the front screen and then using a backpack blower to blow out the fins on the radiator would get it operating back at normal temps again. It's definitely something to keep an eye on because once airflow gets restricted they start to heat up pretty quick.

For running a tiller in that rocky soil I have have to say you guts. All those rocks in there would scare me to death in getting a rock jammed in the tiller and snapping shears. I know a lot of guys don't like running plows but on virgin dirt they sure do a great job of finding all the things that can create costly repairs like large rocks, stumps and barbed wire.

keep the pics coming. The place is really shaping up.

Ever since I cleaned out the screen and air filter it has ben running great, no issues whatsoever, well all but for the broken stuff. ;)

After all of the issues with the tiller this year I think it will be retired. Well at least until this giant rock called earth stops pushing up all of these smaller rocks. I have been on the hunt for good disc harrow. Missed out on an old heavy one in PA two weeks ago.
CTM1 10-23-2015 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorris1 (Post 803628)
Thank you very much for documenting your journey. I have enjoyed reading about your highs and lows, laughing out loud so much my wife had to read it also. As a recent land purchaser (106 in KY) I can totally relate to your "fun." One of my favorite photos is over your growing field withe Hog still on its side as if you just said "screw it" and walked away!!
Thank you for all the efforts and humor - man can i relate!
chris

Speaking of documenting this journey, I wish I had been one of those people to carry a camera more often, like back in the college days (FYI cell phones had not yet been invented). Sadly, many of those memories live only in my mind, but I saw this as an oppurtunity to try and document some more of the contructive things in life, thus I try to bring it with me on every trip. Oh, depite the fact that the cellphone/smartphone seems to play a role in everyones daily life, I never carry one on my person, and the one I have is a flip phone. :eek:

As far as the Hog goes, you are pretty much spot on. In fact it has sat in that exact same spot until just the other day when I finally took it home for the winter and some much needed repairs.

Just as it began, its ends, with another 15 mile drive to take the "Evil Orange" Kubota home. Before we departed I checked the fluids, topped off the tank, and added a little air into the left front. Now we were off and running.
34tebys.jpg

and just like before my neighbor was there to lend a much needed hand by following me on the excursion.
iderfo.jpg

As we turned out onto the dirt town road it felt like little tractor that could was moving faster, perhaps 15mph, but after that first seven miles of dirt we hit the real roads. Once on the pavement your sense of speed changes and you say to yourself, damn, am I really going this slow. My neighbor confirmed that just like the first time we hit a high of 10.
dciso.jpg

As the miles dragged on the cold started to set in as it was in the low 40's this morning. I should have added a pair of longjohns under my pants.
Obviously the scenery was beautiful, sadly I missed snapping a pic of the 40+ cows that were laying out in the sun with not a care in the world as we drove by.
9a9ri8.jpg

Last edited:
The Ford was low on the go juice so we made a pit stop once we made it into town. Still funny how many people stare at you for parking a tractor on main street. Perhaps because it is orange and not green, or just maybe they too detect the evil within her. Oh, my town is a one light town.
25jd2f4.jpg

Outside of going around blind curves and hoping not to get creamed from the rear by a log truck, this long up hill run to the top of the dam was the most nerve racking. Talk about slow motion, this was it. Even had a NYS Trooper blow past me.
106mzjb.jpg

Well we finally made it to the top of the damn and our desire to pose for pictures against the backdrop of the reservoir and the beauty of fall was dashed when others were occupying the area, damn tourists :)
I developed a new skill, driving a tractor while taking pictures.
2dqvtz6.jpg

Just several more cold miles to go
2ce3zo2.jpg
2epr2c5.jpg

Just checking on my side kick. He was laughing because he had the heat on.
2it4w7o.jpg

At last the "Evil Orange" Kubota is home. Time for a hot shower to warm the bones and then some lunch.
14wyvwk.jpg

Another neighbor said "why the heck don't you just hire someone to pick it up". My response to him was that it is all part of the adventure, plus I am to cheap. The $120 saved is another another $120 for food plotting. He knows nothing of what we go through and the sacrifices we are willing to make.

Last edited:
broom_jm

10-24-2015 08:14 AM
Nicely done! :)

Only someone who doesn't get the term "seat time" would ask why you didn't pay to have your tractor hauled home. Are you going to build an equipment shed on the property so you can secure stuff on-site, in the future?

johnl48 10-25-2015 03:30 PM
Hmmmmmm, 15 miles, towards Downsville with pic's. So thats where that property is :D

dogghr 10-25-2015 08:13 PM
As always, great story and pics. As for the stares in town, my guess is Orange envy from those who have not ( even if I do ride Green ). Thanks for showing, great country.

bhh 10-26-2015 05:29 PM
I love it. I've got to do one of these tractor "walkabouts" one of these days. Furthest I've driven mine is about 1.5 miles to a "neighbor's" house to help out with some chores but I'd love to take it into town for lunch or something. Have a nice winter.

Last edited:
Back