As close to the dream property as I am going to get, at least for now

I forgot, I took the boy sightseeing and he got truck sick
Been a long time since I was a kid so I forgot how that feels
rbywt1.jpg

Back to the food plotting.
Well since I planted on the 10th we have only had two rain events. The first one was huge and on the very night that I planted 1.5 acres of brassicas. The rain that was forecast for the other days never materialized. We are now 24 days after planting with only two rain days, my hopes and dreams for giant turnips and radishes like my neighbor John (fellow member) are quickly fading.

Here is a 1/2 acre brassica plot in Field 3 right after planting on the 10th (heavy rain that night). I ran over every inch of it with the quad tires to press the seed in. The cultipacker frame is broken and I do not weld. If I only knew a welder.
2dhtrnd.jpg

Here is a brassica starting to sprout 14 days after planting. Come one little guy, grow!
1iju2v.jpg

Here is a 1/2 acre plot in Field 2 that I broke the tiller on last. I got Winter Rye with Clover down today after spending two days picking rocks. My fingers and hands are shot from picking rocks and my knees ache like an old man, which sadly I am not.
Half the plot was tilled, the other was not given the tiller broke. I just nuked it with Gly, spread the seed, and than ran over it with the quad while towing a small york rake to cover the seed as best I could.
1z5isr7.jpg

Here is a 1 acre brassica plot also in Field 2 planted on the 10th. This picture shows the slow growth. The shady area which is closer to me has much better growth than the rest of the field.
24n1q3k.jpg

Last edited:
Here is half of Field 1, about a 1/2 acre. I nuked it with Gly and put down Winter Rye today.
I may follow up with clover next week, but I ran out.
15wxix5.jpg

I did not have the camera on me at the moment, but when I was about half way through the seeding I was making a turn and hit a bump and the seeder flipped over. Yep, I dumped about 25lbs of seed on the ground. Nothing like trying to pick up 25lbs of tiny seeds, but it beats picking rocks.
Heck it could have been worse it, could have been clover seed :eek:

This is about half of the rock I pulled out of Field 2's 1 acre brassica plot. I left the other half in the plot as I was just so sick of picking rocks that week.
2mxkcj7.jpg

The worst plot for rock was the 1/2 acre Winter Rye and Clover plot in Field 2 that broke the tiller. I made 20 piles of rocks over two days in the plot. I took half away and dumped in the road where I had some wash outs. I left the other piles and will deal with them another day. When I ran the plot over with the quad and small York Rake more rocks appeared, there like little aliens peering up at you.

Last edited:
Thought I would do a "who knew" segment.
So the tiller fell off the 3 point hitch three times and sheared the retaining clip off. The first time it happened I had made less then a half a pass. Despite spending about an hour trying to get it back on I gave up. I got it on the next day with the help of a jack. It then fell off twice in Field 2. Each time it came off the one arm I had to take the entire tiller off and use a heavy iron bar to muscle it back in place.

Well I decided to turn to YouTube, and low and behold there was a guy who does vids for Kubota. He spoke of these things called cheater chains or turn buckles. He did not convey which way to turn them, but it was a mind blowing. Who knew the arms had to be tightened to keep the tiller from coming off. Remember people I am a first time tractor owner.

So I hit the "66" armed with this new info and set out to adjust the arms. I tried and tried to turn the buckles and they would not budge. I cussed a few times and wished I had a computer with internet access in the field to watch another tube vid. After a while I did what I dreaded and took the tiller off. I disconnected the cheater chains and loosened them. I muscled the tiller on only to discover I moved the cheater chains the wrong way. So off came the tiller again :mad: . I adjusted the chains again and mounted the tiller and it was like magic. I felt like Tom Hanks when he made fire while stranded on that deserted Island in the movie Cast-Away.

Of course my joy was short lived as the tiller shaft bolts sheared again.

Even though we do not break bread together, or hunt together we all share a common passion for the outdoors, so I just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys who are following the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of my adventures to tame some land.

As we all know a huge part of hunting has always been the commratary we share with like minded people, and I am glad this board can bring so many together. It is like having dozens of hunting buddies to share with.

I appreciate all of the tips, advice and support. I am also glad that we can find humor in our failures and our successes. Life should be filled with more laughter, and I for one have always been able to laugh at myself, sometimes the laughter comes after I kick myself, but it always comes.

Be well, and as the adventure continues I will enjoy sharing the ups and downs on the "66".

I planted this Rye/clover in field 2 on Sept 2 and am not happy with the growth so far.
The only place that I have germination is where I tilled. The mow, kill, throw and grow areas show zero growth. The mow, kill, throw and grow plot of Rye in field 1 also shows zero growth and we are at 14 days. I think I am done with anything throw and mow. I tried it last year at my house and saw zero growth as well.
2ir2elh.jpg

Update on the brassica plots. Also not happy with where they are at despite the rain and copious amounts of UREA put down.
This is a pic of field 2 from the tree stand I just got up, it is in an inside corner at the back of the plot.
I had a lot of bare spots so I over seeded a week ago. I also spread 50lbs of Rye into the brassica today.
346kpe8.jpg

2m7izdj.jpg

Stand tucked up in a huge oak that is dropping tons of acorns.
skunu0.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the brassicas in field 3 :(
Maybe I am expecting to much given the drought and the fact that we only got rain recently.
We are now 37 days after planting. I know I am lacking lime but even if I got it down it would not
have helped this year. Problem was by the time I found a bulk lime dealer the plots were already down,
they had to go down.
5x7dwj.jpg

I have seen a few deer while working but here is my first trail cam pic
nb2p7d.jpg

We had a visitor who left his/her calling card and just in time for the early bear season.
Not that I need another bear as I my taxidermist has a hitman looking for me as it is now.
2zpqr8h.jpg

We got buku movement in the Rye grass
1y1xrq.jpg

5wl0g.jpg

and on the stone walls
21o8mtx.jpg

Last edited:
Got my first trespasser :mad:
He is working up the road and rumor is that he is a thief.
I think I will print a pic and drop it on his windshield
along with a note.
33etzd1.jpg

In the mean time it was posts and cable time to put an end to this.
Perhaps a gate in the future.
x0ohkz.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a little yote control is in order, and thankfully it is one of my favorite things to do.
t884ea.jpg

4jak9h.jpg

These little egg thieves might be on the hit list
2e2htg9.jpg

Last edited:
I made a mock scrape and the old WildView cameras leave a lot to be desired when it comes to trigger speed,battery life and picture quality.
I am assuming it is a doe as I do not have a single picture of a buck yet.
I also do not see hocks like on a buck
2cprs3k.jpg

10rnu5y.jpg

I give you a huge thumbs up for your perseverance! As you get more experience, fewer things will break.....hang in there! Nice looking property!

Well I finally finished all of my backhoe work at my house and took the backhoe off. It took two hours because I had no clue what I was doing.

Now it was time to hook up the hog and drive the tractor the 14 miles over to the new property. Two of my neighbors offered to help. One drove my truck with a small trailer with the tiller on it and the other followed behind me. The first 9 miles was on rural main road, and the remaining 5 was on a back road. Never thought to take the camera on the tractor to take pictures of all the down state people who drove past me scratching their heads at what they were seeing. Farming is a dying thing near me so we do not see many tractors on the main roads.

We reached a top speed on 10mph but I swore it was 11. It took well over an hour to get to the property. Both of my neighbors were good sports for taking the time. They both do small plots and do not have tractors, so I can see some future tilling on my to do list for them as a thank you.

Right after arriving at the property. One of my neighbors who followed me in his van.

wwat8i.jpg

Here is a picture of the larger ~3.8A field (field 2) before I got into it.
fcs8km.jpg

Here it is after a few hours of hogging, and I am only about a third done.
2rw42th.jpg

Here is a before of field 3. Looking at the little tractor and the task at hand it seemed futile.
34i0qk4.jpg

Only 10mph but I swore it was 11! I can tell I'm going to enjoy following along on this thread! Nice place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back