Alligator !

Drycreek

Putting this under predator control, but I’m not gonna try to control this dinosaur ! I’ve been on this place for 24 years, about a mile from a creek that I know holds a population of gators, but I never dreamed one would come to visit. My pond is only about an acre and a half, so he’s pretty well gonna be the boss here. He (or she ?) is not very timid, I got numerous cell phone pics and vids from 40’/50’ away. He wouldn’t come closer than that. Looks to me to be about 9’ long, I got a good broadside look at him a couple times. Anyway, thought it might interest y’all, I think it’s kinda cool to have a gator ! I don’t name wildlife as a rule, but I’m calling him George:D9A016AE0-49FA-4557-B7A4-D682C7E3A5DE.jpeg126CA7AC-7715-4BDC-9391-6AB3C17613CB.jpeg9A56C803-BE22-4339-A254-5BF83FA6BF8C.jpeg

Shoot him now if you like your pets.

Cut, I only have the one dog, and we have so many coyotes I’ve never let him roam on his own. He’s a Jack Russell, so he follows his nose. He’s either in my buggy or on a leash when he’s out of our fenced in yard area. I have a hog proof fence around my five acres where the house is to keep the sorry suckers from rooting my yard. I think our only concern is to just be vigilant when we are around the pond. I’m already on point there looking for cottonmouths so I’ll probably see him if he’s there. Honestly, I doubt he stays around that long. There are no big fish in that pond, all fingerlings or maybe some 3/4 lb. catfish. When he cleans the turtles out I expect him to leave. Just for the record, it’s illegal to shoot a gator here without a tag.

Cut, I only have the one dog, and we have so many coyotes I’ve never let him roam on his own. He’s a Jack Russell, so he follows his nose. He’s either in my buggy or on a leash when he’s out of our fenced in yard area. I have a hog proof fence around my five acres where the house is to keep the sorry suckers from rooting my yard. I think our only concern is to just be vigilant when we are around the pond. I’m already on point there looking for cottonmouths so I’ll probably see him if he’s there. Honestly, I doubt he stays around that long. There are no big fish in that pond, all fingerlings or maybe some 3/4 lb. catfish. When he cleans the turtles out I expect him to leave. Just for the record, it’s illegal to shoot a gator here without a tag.

SSS

Sounds like you have everything under control though. A 9 footer is nothing to mess with.

Well, I hope so. If he decides I’m his best buddy that hog wire fence ain’t gonna mean squat ! I’ve had trouble in the past with river otters, (they will eat every fish in a pond this size), and that’s why I’m hoping he’ll hang around.

The thing to think about is what is in the creek a mile away that is big enough to drive a 9 footer away. Gators are not scared to go for a hike. I have seen one that was road kill about half a mile away from the nearest water.

That is pretty cool and I'm honored that you named him after me. I saw yesterday that a Lady was at some one's home doing haircuts in South Carolina when she went out to pet an alligator out in their back yard. The gator took her by the leg and dragged her into the water, then it rolled and took her under where she drowned.

G

Alligators are "cool" - until they live around your place. I live on a hill 250 feet above the river bottoms. They come and go in my ponds. You always have to really pay attention. Cant just go throw a dummy for the dog thinking you haven't seen a gator in there for 3 months - one may have got in there last night. I have had them in my yard. Lake I live on has always had a few. Thirty years ago, we would see one or two a year - but we had beavers and nutria everywhere and no floating vegetation. Now, we might see fifteen gators in a day - and we have no more beavers and nutria and floating vegetation is blocking a lot of the waterway.

Alligators are "cool" - until they live around your place. I live on a hill 250 feet above the river bottoms. They come and go in my ponds. You always have to really pay attention. Cant just go throw a dummy for the dog thinking you haven't seen a gator in there for 3 months - one may have got in there last night. I have had them in my yard. Lake I live on has always had a few. Thirty years ago, we would see one or two a year - but we had beavers and nutria everywhere and no floating vegetation. Now, we might see fifteen gators in a day - and we have no more beavers and nutria and floating vegetation is blocking a lot of the waterway.

Never had any nutria rats in the pond, but I ain’t seen a turtle since he showed up. Nor a heron. I saw him again today when I baited my hog trap. I sure wish some of them would go get them a drink and a short wallow in the edge of the water........

Never had any nutria rats in the pond, but I ain’t seen a turtle since he showed up. Nor a heron. I saw him again today when I baited my hog trap. I sure wish some of them would go get them a drink and a short wallow in the edge of the water........

we have a creek that connects to a large lake that has a lot of alligators. Always a gator or two in the creek. I killed a 100 lb hog one day and decided to tie it to a cypress tree in the creek and put a game cam on it. Got several pics of gators swimming up to it - but a gator never fed on it. Turtles ended up eating it. I have no doubt a pig swimming in the water would be in danger, though.

How about you get the permit and you got yourself a pair of snazzy boots to go with them nice revolvers?
cd306e71733189ba8fcf62bb8ceaf506.jpg

Back