Triple C's Place

The seat on that stand looks really comfy. Is it easily removable? If we left a seat like that out in our woods it would be a one season deal because of the squirrels...

Grandkids are great! Got to spend some time with ours this weekend too. I had some more tractor work to do Sunday but after my near death experience Saturday I devoted the day to the grandsons...

Who's boots is your grandson wearing? Yours?

The seat on that stand looks really comfy. Is it easily removable? If we left a seat like that out in our woods it would be a one season deal because of the squirrels...

Grandkids are great! Got to spend some time with ours this weekend too. I had some more tractor work to do Sunday but after my near death experience Saturday I devoted the day to the grandsons...

Who's boots is your grandson wearing? Yours?
Great question on the seat. It's the Ol Man web style seat that they've used since they started making stands. Have 3 of their hang-ons that we left up from last year. Haven't checked them for squirrel damage. Brooks has an Ol Man climber that is at least 15 years old with the original style seat but they were probably made with better material back then. Seems most stands today are made in good ole China. As light as these stands are I'll probably take them down after the season. Only 45 lbs. As for the boots...Can't believe you noticed those. A buddy of mine bought those about 4 years ago and left them at the farm. They are a size 8.5 so none of us can wear them. They're about 2 sizes too big for Jaden but he'll grow into them.

After great luck with Ol Man climbing stands I tried an Ol Man ladder stand several years back.. I fully agree, they are great. But I am a believer in putting two tie straps on any ladder stand.

Thanks for the tip lak. Always put 2 straps on the hang-ons but never thought about it on ladder stands. Better safe than dead!

Absolutely agree on the Bowlite and Millennium stands! One's good for tight spots and the other for more open areas where the height is an advantage. They're pretty much all I run with.

Absolutely agree on the Bowlite and Millennium stands! One's good for tight spots and the other for more open areas where the height is an advantage. They're pretty much all I run with.

Keith...Did my 1st sit of the year Saturday afternoon on one of the Ol Man Bowlite ladder stands. Obviously not as comfortable as the Millennium but very easy to sit in with good size platform and easy to shoot out of. Had a great wind into my face and 5 deer in front of me that I just knew would bust me by looking at me but they never did. I felt like I was somewhat exposed at 15 ft. Interesting observation I had while on stand...I was wearing no face mask, gloves or camo. Shirt was one of those tan colored, thin fishing shirts. Of the 5 deer that fed underneath me, 2 of them were less than 5 yds from the ladder. Several times, they would do as deer do while feeding and look around. Several times I felt like they were staring right thru me. Many times in the past I've been blown out by deer simply seeing me in the stand. Only thing different about this sit is that I was wearing prescription sunglasses. The thought occurred to me that perhaps the deer not being able to establish eye contact had something to do with them not busting me. Prolly not the case but think I'll be wearing sunglasses again. Gave em all a pass and just decided to watch them. There will be plenty more opportunities but it is always thrilling to see deer on the stand. Here was my view from the stand. 2 large white oaks loaded with acorns just in front of me that brought the deer in close.
view from stand.jpg

Work on the expansion of our bean field plot continues. During our logging operation, I had the logger clearcut about an acre on the south end of our bean field along with removing a row of pines on each side of the field and small clear cuts on each side of the north end of the field with the goal to increase the size of this plot from 4 acres to 6 acres and allow areas for additional tree plantings. Last week the work began on stumping the clear cut areas and cleaning up the edges where much of the slash from logging was piled. In this aerial view, the green section of the field is where the clear cut occurred. It was full of 17 yr old pine stumps and needed stumping before we can begin the conversion to a food plot. The brown is where we sprayed gly 6 weeks ago.
Aerial bean field.jpg

Here is the equipment being used to remove all the stumps and debris along the edge of the field. That is one huge burn pile behind the excavator!
excavator.jpg

Here's the view from the lower end of the field looking north. This area was stumped last week and a dozer will come in later this week and clean up. Hard to see all the stumps in this pic but it is full of dug up stumps. After all stumps are removed, we will lime it and prolly just throw cereal rye out to serve as a cover crop in preparation of our 1st planting next Spring.
bean field looking north.jpg

A week ago today, we planted 4 of our plots. Thanks to reading so many threads over the years about planting methods, we've come up with a method that works so well for us. When I first purchased the property it was all about tillage with a disc harrow. Disc and disc and disc in the early years to get a nice looking "seed bed". Now...we spray in mid August to kill anything growing. We wait until the end of September and then plant. By waiting 6 weeks, the dead matter is completely matted down on top of the soil and is dead, dead!

We use a Plotmaster 600 tractor series to plant. It's one of those "advertised" one pass planters with 2 sets of disc harrows, a row pf spring plows which we removed, 2 seed boxes, a chain drag and a steel cults-packer that folds down when planting. I purchased this in 2011 when I bought the property. It weighs in the 1300 lb range and has proven to be a very useful piece of equipment. In the early years, we would disc repeatedly. Now, after waiting 6 or more weeks after spraying, this thing truly is a one pass planter. Here's a pic of the Plotmaster.
plotmaster.jpg

Here's a pic of the upper lower plot after one pass. We planted brassica, rye and a little clover added in. Just filled the seed bins with the seed and set the seed gauge to the proper seed drop rating. Electrical hooks to tractor batter with clamps that engages the augers in the bottom of seed box to disperse seed. Seed drops on metal shield and then onto ground. Discs set on light aggressive provides a nice furrow for seed to drop and cults-packer firms it up. If I didn't own this piece of equipment I would do the same thing - spray...wait 6 weeks, run over lightly with disc harrow and broadcast seed followed by a drag or culti-pak. I like the Plotmaster. Very durable, heavy construction. I expect it to last for many, many years and it does a great job planting, assuming you have a decent field to work with that is not full of roots, stumps, large boulders.
Upper lower.jpg

Took this pic Sunday morning of brassica and rye already germinating in the plot. Not discing prior to planting with the dead matter on top definitely helps conserve moisture. Plus, we got .25 inches of rain on Tuesday after planting that helped.
germination.jpg

We couldn't plant all of our plots like this. The ones that were used for logging decks have been subsoiled and disced to break up compaction. We won't plant the bean field until work is finished this week with removing stumps. Already sub-soiled it where it was needed.

Not sure I've ever posted a pic of this area of our property. Our west boundary is bordered by our neighbor cattle farmer. We maintain a firebreak trail that runs for most of the length of our property. It meanders thru a couple of hardwood sections in addition to pine sections. With the dry weather we've had the leaves are beginning to fall. Always like the looks of this trail when it is covered in leaves in the hardwoods section.
West property line trail.jpg

Days gone by...Remember the old Trebark camo pattern? It was my favorite pattern. After getting back into hunting around 1990, I bought a Trebark camo chamois shirt and cotton pants. The pants faded relatively quickly but the shirt just seemed to never fade. I had this shirt for years and somewhere during one of our moves, I lost it or misplaced it. At any rate, this pic was from around 1994 or so. Wish I still had the shirt. Any of you guys ever wear the original Trebark camo?
trebark camo.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0
Good read Triple. Really liked the leaf covered road pic. And yes I had a Treebark coverall. One of the best camafloges I think I've owned. Problem with newer patterns is too much dark and not enough light patches. I still have mine but pretty sure my fat ass not gonna squeeze back into them. I wore the hat till mice got a hold of it one day in the barn and chewed it up. I notice Sitka has much similar with treebark in their digital pattern, and at only 600$ for a jacket!!! :eek: And nice buck. We sure have gotten spoiled. Kinda miss just shooting at first decent buck days. I bet new plot will be awesome. Photo shot from your drone?

Good read Triple. Really liked the leaf covered road pic. And yes I had a Treebark coverall. One of the best camafloges I think I've owned. Problem with newer patterns is too much dark and not enough light patches. I still have mine but pretty sure my fat ass not gonna squeeze back into them. I wore the hat till mice got a hold of it one day in the barn and chewed it up. I notice Sitka has much similar with treebark in their digital pattern, and at only 600$ for a jacket!!! :eek: And nice buck. We sure have gotten spoiled. Kinda miss just shooting at first decent buck days. I bet new plot will be awesome. Photo shot from your drone?
Yes - Aerial was from drone. Back in the day an arrow got turned loose if it was legal.

Yes - Aerial was from drone. Back in the day an arrow got turned loose if it was legal.
I remember those days...great update TripleC...

My first hunting camo was the old treebark. Before that it was old camo from the army navy surplus store. Love the old pic!

Gonna have a nice size bean plot and love the work the plotmaster does. If I did larger plots it would be a must.

Enjoyed the update with great pics. As I have said before, you have some beautiful land. Very blessed my friend.

todd

I wore Bill Jordan's tree bark camo too. I remember a pair of light weight coveralls that I ordered from BassPro. There was only the one store then it was where the HQ is now in Missouri

T C I read your drive to the place where you came through Watkinsville. I work there near the courthouse. Is your place off hy 78 or hwy 77?

I love the Treebark camo, still have two Cabelas shirts in the original Treebark that I bought in the mid 80's. Also have a set of insulated overalls and a jacket, seems as though the overalls have shrunk over the years as they have gotten a little tight around the belly:eek: Plots are looking good, hope you get some rain. All of my plots are a dust bowl. no rain in the last three weeks and none in the forecast for the next 15 days.

3C, I am in the "always read, seldom post" category, but want to say thanks for the thread! I love your emphasis on family; there are many things in life that we can do a pretty passable job of "faking". Good family relationships aren't one of them IMO. So many times I've seen updates from you and the family pics you post bring a big smile to my face. Case in point is that pic of you and your best friend in front of the lockers. Good stuff!!

Thx guys! Seems everyone that wore Trebark loved it...maybe because we can't buy it anymore. The pattern was one of the best in my opinion. Must be some licensing / copyright dispute or it would still be manufactured.

Podad - We lived in Watkinsville for 22 yrs. Youngest son and daughter live there now. Our farm in off of Hwy 77N from Lexington.

ng270 - Thanks! When I purchased the property I really didn't visualize it would become gathering central for the family. But it has and I'm very happy that it's turned out that way. Grandkids will hopefully look back years from now with a lot of "remember when" memories and hopefully, still enjoying the property and experience of being outdoors.

The new plot is coming along nice. I heard food things and the Plotmaster series.

I had some old Trebark camo years ago but over time it has fallen apart :(

That Plotmaster looks like it does a great job in your soil and could be a great time saver for sure. Good Job!

How long before the rut in your area?

ebay carries old school Trebark but hardly ever in XL. Mostly small and medium. Last couple of years I just put on a pair of earth tone pants and shirt. Kind of a weird thing...when you're hunting with trad bow equipment you tend to dress in something other than traditional camo. Not sure why but I seldom wear full camo when hunting with recurve.

Okie...Rut in our area comes in full swing from Nov. 5th - 15th. Crazy good time to be in woods. Also like last week of October to catch bucks cruising.

Back