Triple C's Place

Thx guys! Gator...I love a good woodpile fire. Imagine those pine stumps with all the resin in them going up and got 3 of them to burn. May raise the avg. temps throughout the county for a day or two.

You let me know when you light them. That'd be a great time for you, me, and Tenured Student to get together!!!

Hope you get the rain you need 3C. Place is looking great, love the aerial shots. Stew looks great! I've got some venison defrosting to turn into tasso ham in the smoker. Picked up a bad addiction to gumbo while living in Texas for two years. Can't find any proper gumbo up here so I learned to make it myself. Guys at work fight over the leftovers I take in.

No rain in sight for the next 20 days. How's that possible 3C? I gotta get out of the Deep South.

No rain in sight for the next 20 days. How's that possible 3C? I gotta get out of the Deep South.

It's crazy. I haven't had a measurable rain on my place in heard county since August 15. And only .25" on my place in upside since Labor Day.

Never seen an October this dry

I really feel badly for the folks going through these droughts...I know exactly what you are going through! Hope you guys get some relief soon!

Thx guys! Pyro Party will occur around mid-January! Here it is late October and we still haven't planted our 2 biggest plots. It's just a dust bowl down here with still no rain in sight. But...nothing we can do about the weather other than complain. Decided to plant plots this weekend and just wait for rain.

Last weekend's progress...
We did get some work done last weekend. Ordered a Redneck Predator blind this past April and it's been sitting under the shed since then. Brooks brought his loader down last Friday and between him, Dustin and me, we got it up in about 2 hours. I'll have to give a shout out to Redneck for designing and engineering a great product. We purchased the 10 ft base and had to assemble. It was easy and painless. All bolts and nuts were the same size and the instructions were easy to follow. Really impressed with the quality of the blind. This thing should last for a very, very long time.
Redneck on trailer.jpg

Base assembled.jpg

Loader placing blind.jpg

Bolting blind to base.jpg

South Dakota Pheasant Hunt
This is the kind of business trip one loves...entertaining business associates on a pheasant hunt at Broken Arrow Farms in Pierre, SD. We've hunted with the guys at Broken Arrow Farms for more than a decade. I'd highly recommend them. Family run operation with great property and outstanding dogs.
IMG_2178 (1).jpg

Pretty sure you need to cater to my business on that duck hunt. Hope you get some rain. I'm on the SE coast for the moment and some of these areas still look like lakes from Mathew. Extremes. Like the Redneck.

That is a VERY nice looking blind...I am sure it will get LOTS of use...

Looks extremely dry where you are. We have been going through a dry spell of our own through July/August/ and September but October has been a little kind to us with about 2" of rain total on Home 10 and about 2.5" on Whitetail Hollow. Seed that laid in the ground since planting August 21st germinated and other than being way behind where it should be is looking good. Once it rains where you are that seed will germinate so plant away!

Always wanted to Pheasant hunt...Bucket list deal I guess...

Ok, Triple C, no way is it fair with all the equipment you have access to. Brooks is da Man! Redneck blind looks great, but with all jobs, even with good equipment looks like the guys had to be very careful to get it into place. Hope you get to enjoy a nice hunt in the blind with the rain coming down. I have gotten some good naps in rainy day shooting house sits.

Ok, Triple C, no way is it fair with all the equipment you have access to. Brooks is da Man! Redneck blind looks great, but with all jobs, even with good equipment looks like the guys had to be very careful to get it into place. Hope you get to enjoy a nice hunt in the blind with the rain coming down. I have gotten some good naps in rainy day shooting house sits.

Great looking blind setup Triple C. You sure got it up quickly. It takes me about six hours just to level the ground to put the stand on. Your field looks like it was fully level to start with. I have put up four and pulled them up each time and found that very easy and safe to do. You'll enjoy many hours resting in there.

Thx guys! As for the blind assembly, the instructions called for the blind to be bolted to the base at the beginning. But, with the skid steer, we decided to assemble the base and then slide the blind onto the base from the pallet that it was delivered on. Also had an impact wrench that made assembly of the base a breeze with the bolts and nuts all being the same size. No leveling required. Just a couple of shovels of dirt removed from underneath 2 legs and it was level. Put it up in the bean filed which now runs about 900 feet from north to south. Hopefully, with a little rain, the look will be very different in 3 to4 weeks.

Triple C,

Were you in Pierre this past weekend for the pheasant opener? My group and I were there Thur - Monday hunting and catching walleye on Lake Sharpe. Stayed at the Clubhouse Hotel & Suites. This is my 14th yr for the opening weekend but our first time staying the whole time in Pierre. We normally come in and fish in Pierre on Friday and then head to Winner, SD to stay for hunting. We hunt in Hamill on the Larson Ranch.

Triple C,

Were you in Pierre this past weekend for the pheasant opener? My group and I were there Thur - Monday hunting and catching walleye on Lake Sharpe. Stayed at the Clubhouse Hotel & Suites. This is my 14th yr for the opening weekend but our first time staying the whole time in Pierre. We normally come in and fish in Pierre on Friday and then head to Winner, SD to stay for hunting. We hunt in Hamill on the Larson Ranch.
CR...We were there this week from Tuesday - Thursday. Stayed at the Ramkota next door to the Clubhouse Hotel & Suites. Been staying at the Ramkota for so many years we just continue to stay there I guess at of nostalgia more than anything. Same little old lady bartender every year since we started going back in 2004. She wasn't there this week and when we asked, was told she had a fall and was scheduled to be back at work the same day we left. Pierre is such a cool place. Miles and miles for as far as you can see of prairie grass and gently rolling hills with farms scattered about. Every trip out I think of what it must have been like for the Lewis and Clark expedition as they came thru the exact location. Ate at Cattleman's Steakhouse both nights as we always do. Perhaps the best bone-in ribeye I have ever eaten. Usually have it both nights but mixed it up this year and ordered 24 oz prime rib the 2nd night. Pretty cool we were there within 24 hours of each other. If you go next year and think about it, shoot me a pm and I'll do the same to see if we happen to be there at the same time.

walleye.jpg IMG_4468.PNG IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4466.JPG Apparently, the phrase "it's a small world" isn't just part of a disturbing Disney World song. : ) I've eaten at the Cattleman's Steakhouse a time or two before and it's always great. The guy that puts our trip on each year now has a +/-30 ft enclosed trailer (pics attached) that he brings and we eat, drink, and get merry out of that thing. It's kind of spoiled us. We caught a ton of walleye on Friday and fried them fresh Friday night and it was amazing. I know a great fishing guide out there that we've used a handful of times and we always catch a ton of walleye and sometimes even smallmouth. I would be glad to share his info with you if you guys ever want to add another element to your trip. Here's a couple of pics showing some of our catches from this past trip and one previous trip. The one with the smallmouth shows 4 fish that we caught at the exact same time. For the day, we caught and released about 50 just like them.

I would love it if we could run into each other up there have the chance to discuss our properties and what all we have going on face to face. I've thoroughly enjoyed following your thread since I originally found it on the site that shall no longer be named and I was happy to find it again on here. I bought my +/-235 acres here in Kentucky last year and have spent every weekend, holiday, and vacation day the last 8 months or so converting my 30x70 ft metal building from a taxidermy shop (it's previous life) into a 3 bed / 2 bath hunting cabin that has some similarities to yours. I've just about finished it so my focus will turn to beginning to improve the farm as soon as this deer season is over. I would like to think I would do as good of a job as you and many of the others here do at documenting my progress but that's a pretty tall order to fill. You guys have completely changed the way I look at land ownership and I plan to "steal" as many ideas as possible as I begin my journey. Looking forward to continuing to follow along.

Hope to see you in SD one day.

Wow! May need to add walleye fishing to the next trip! One of the guys we had along for the 1st time was telling me how good the walleye fishing is around there. I just had no idea since all we've ever done is pheasant hunt. Great pics! How much better can it get than birds n fish on the same trip.

Tee up your land thread so we can follow along. Would love to see pics of the progress on your cabin.

Do you anchor the platform to the ground?
Yes. Each leg has about a 2 ft long piece of rebar that you drive in the ground. An auger style anchor then goes in the ground under the center of the blind and attaches by steel cable to the top of the base. The blind is bolted to the base on each corner. Can't imagine what kind of wind it would take to knock one of these over if it's anchored properly. Here's a pic of Dustin getting the auger style anchor turned down to ground level. Glad he was there!
IMG_2129.jpg

Back