Triple C's Place

Expansion of bean field plot finished!
I arrived at the farm Friday afternoon about 1:45 to the sounds of heavy equipment working. The excavator operator was stumping the cabin field and the dozer was doing the final clean-up in the bean field following the stumping work done by the excavator. Brooks trades work with the owner of the heavy equipment. He use Brooks for smaller stuff more appropriate for skid loader and compact excavator and Brooks uses him on jobs that require heavy equipment. I really enjoy watching guys on heavy equipment work. They are like surgeons in their own way. The bean field looks simply amazing. Last week, stumps were laying all over the south end of the bean field and by Friday, you could hardly find a piece of wood in the entire field. All the stumps were piled for burning but not before they had been thoroughly shaken to remove the dirt. The dozer feathered the left over slash into the edge of the woods and the rest was piled for burning. Here's the same pic I posted last week of the stumps that the excavator had removed from the south end of the field.
Bean Field looking north before cleanup.jpg

Here's what it looked like Friday from the same location! All it needs now is rain and lime.
Bean field looking north after cleanup.jpg

Here's a pic of the stumps piled for burning. Hardly any dirt left on these stumps.
Stump Pile.jpg

An aerial pic of the bean field plot after all the work was done.
Aerial looking north.jpg

Aerial of same field looking south.
Aerial looking south.jpg

Saturday, with a steady wind from Matthew blowing all day I decided not to hunt. The forecast last Wednesday called for 70% chance of rain on Friday and 50% chance of Saturday. We got NOTHING!!! Zilch. Just a few sprinkles Friday afternoon. I went for a walk on Saturday through a few of the hardwood draws checking on the mast crop. We have remnants of 1/2 dozen old wooden ladder stands scattered throughout the hardwoods from days gone by. I ran across one and decided to take a pic. I remember making these back in the late 80s and early 90s and the boys helping tote them into the woods. Lots of work went into making them and lots of memories hunting from them. As I came upon this stand, my mind wondered to the story behind it. My guess is that many a good hunt took place from it and hopefully many memories made.
IMG_2062.jpg

We desperately need rain. We planted 2 weeks ago tomorrow with 1/4 inch rain the following day after planting. Decent gemination in the lower elevation food plots. Nothing in the forecast for the next two weeks but praying for a miracle.
Upper Lower.jpg

Close up of rye and brassica coming up. Notice thatch surrounding plants. Kind of a hybrid of throw n mow. We spray with gly, wait at least 6 weeks until it's dead and matted and then plant into it without discing prior.
close up.jpg

Ashli and her crew and Brooks came down for dinner. I thawed venison stew meat from last November and prepared a crock pot of venison stew with cornbread and slaw. One of our favorite meals.
Stew Plated.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite time of day...I'm early to bed and as I get older...too early to rise. I was up this morning long before daylight. Made a pot of coffee and awaited on dawn to arrive. As the eastern sky began to wake up, I sat out on the front porch with a cup of coffee and watched the day awaken. I could hear the neighbors rooster crowing in the distance. The sky was clear as a bell with a host of stars still above before the light faded them. It's a wonderful time for reflection and giving thanks for blessings beyond what we deserve. Staring up at the stars I'm always reminded of how insignificant I feel on my little spot of earth in relations to the universe. Enjoyed my coffee watching our little piece of earth wake up...
Morning Awakening.jpg

My favorite time of day...I'm early to bed and as I get older...too early to rise. I was up this morning long before daylight. Made a pot of coffee and awaited on dawn to arrive. As the eastern sky began to wake up, I sat out on the front porch with a cup of coffee and watched the day awaken. I could hear the neighbors rooster crowing in the distance. The sky was clear as a bell with a host of stars still above before the light faded them. It's a wonderful time for reflection and giving thanks for blessings beyond what we deserve. Staring up at the stars I'm always reminded of how insignificant I feel on my little spot of earth in relations to the universe. Enjoyed my coffee watching our little piece of earth wake up...
View attachment 3782

Great plot, that was an amazing transformation. Hope you get rains. I've got few of those old stands on my place, I'm sure sat in by guys that enjoyed the morning hunts just like us. Food…mmmm. But this last pic made my day. Always love your stuff.

;yea, I'd love to be there when you light it up-just something cool about watching a fire outside.

you bean plot does look awesome. you might have mentioned before but what is the total size now of the new bean plot?

Thanks for sharing...that's a lot of history.

Improvements look awesome, I didn't appreciate the work involved until I bought my ranch.

Venison roast stew...yum! Had a big pot yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

The before and after of your plot expansion is pretty sweet - who ever did it sure seems to know what they are doing. That is great that they where able to try to salvage as much top soil for you as possible. Loos like your gonna have a dandy bon-fire as well.

That plot looks great! I really like reclaimed forest plots ;) Hope you guys as well as everyone else (us included) get the rains needed!

"We desperately need rain"

No crap. I hate living in the South. If I could I'd move north tomorrow. The further you get from the ocean, the less likely of a drought.

Thx guys! dogdoc...Plot size is 5.8 acres. Hopefully big enough to grow beans without fencing. We'll see next spring. We'll use some of the corners to plant a few trees. We've yet to grow an apple on our place. Not a one. I've got B118 rootstock growing in pots that LLC is going to graft next spring from a few of his Arkansas Black and Yates trees. He's about 30 miles north and has apple trees that look like their on steroids. Also have a dozen or so bare root chestnut and sawtooth from him and a few of wpdeer's chestnuts that we've been nursing along since last winter that will be planted but not all in the bean field.

View attachment 3782

Great post! I do the same thing often.
Love the new plot. It's going be full of deer before you know it.

Just catching up on your tour;everything is looking wonderful there. What a terrific job on clearing the field and saving the top soil your guys did. That will pay off in a large way. Enjoyed all of the pictures--excellent post.

fire6.JPG

I couldn't get within, shoot I don't know, 60 yards of this pile once she got going good from the heat!

Thx guys! Gator...I love a good woodpile fire. Imagine those pine stumps with all the resin in them going up and got 3 of them to burn. May raise the avg. temps throughout the county for a day or two.

Thx guys! Gator...I love a good woodpile fire. Imagine those pine stumps with all the resin in them going up and got 3 of them to burn. May raise the avg. temps throughout the county for a day or two.

I had 6 piles, the one pictured was the 5th and by far the largest but after that one, I couldn't light the last one. It's still there!

Back