Buying land with a timber reservation

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at a cool property yesterday that I’m interested in buying, but there is one major hiccup - the timber company (that currently owns the land) wants to retain rights to perform the next thinning of the planted pines. There is probably 125 acres of 24 year old loblolly pine that is ready for thinning. This timber is worth $1800 per acre.

I’m not opposed to letting them thin. I’d actually prefer some of the pines gone and converted to fields/food plots. What I’m worried about is the mess the logging will leave. I’ve been through two logging operations on family land, and in both cases the proceeds from the timber sale was used to clean up the mess. In this case, I could be left with a huge mess without the benefit of the timber sale.

Anyone been through a land sale like this? The property is in a cool area with good neighbors, less than an hour from home, and offers great hunting opportunities (deer, turkeys, ducks). Cons - no power/water (other than a beautiful swamp), interior road system is rough, and the timber reservation.

Our property was in the middle of a harvest when we purchased it. It’s a mixed hardwood stand so not apples to apples but similar enough. There are several things I’d recommend you include in the contract.

1) a “no later than” harvest date. Make sure you and the timber company agree they own that next thinning until an agreed upon date.

2) clear language on what the timber company is responsible for post logging. It wouldn’t be a big deal to have a big logging company smooth out the roads, clean up the log decks etc.

Bottom line, the contract should be used to clean up any and all ambiguity.

This is and exciting opportunity. Let the loggers remove more timber than they would from a standard thinning and turn that place into a wildlife paradise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought my property from a timber company. They had timbered it 5 years before I bought it and it was pretty much left dormant during that time. I discovered it was pretty clean for the most part. I found where they had neatly piled up treetops and other debris. I did have to do interior road maintenance though, some roads were rough. If you know a forester that has worked with timber companies, I would get a copy of one of his contracts. Most of the things Weekender mentioned are in a timber contract. If they want to sell it, I assume it would be no big deal for them to put the same parameters in a land sales contract.

I looked at a cool property yesterday that I’m interested in buying, but there is one major hiccup - the timber company (that currently owns the land) wants to retain rights to perform the next thinning of the planted pines. There is probably 125 acres of 24 year old loblolly pine that is ready for thinning. This timber is worth $1800 per acre.

I’m not opposed to letting them thin. I’d actually prefer some of the pines gone and converted to fields/food plots. What I’m worried about is the mess the logging will leave. I’ve been through two logging operations on family land, and in both cases the proceeds from the timber sale was used to clean up the mess. In this case, I could be left with a huge mess without the benefit of the timber sale.

Anyone been through a land sale like this? The property is in a cool area with good neighbors, less than an hour from home, and offers great hunting opportunities (deer, turkeys, ducks). Cons - no power/water (other than a beautiful swamp), interior road system is rough, and the timber reservation.
It is all up to the contract. We hire a private forester to help with our timber sale. He took 8% and was more than worth it. We worked with him to include important things in the contract. We required the timber company to remove the top soil and save it in any area they create logging decks. They were required to decompress the deck, reapply the top soil, and then seed it with Winter Rye. It also requires them to return all logging roads back to the condition they were when they began logging. We ran down the logging roads before logging began with a video camera to document the original condition. They had to get permission from our forester for the location of each deck. We worked with our forester to put decks in locations that would work for loggers and for future food plots.

They did a reasonable job with the logging decks. They have not returned the roads to the original condition yet. There first attempt did not satisfy us. It is too wet at this time of year for them to fix them now. They said they will return when it dries out. Or forester is holding several thousand dollars of theirs in escrow. When it dries out, he will send them a letter and they will have 30 days to fix them or they lose the escrow to us. We can then fix them ourselves or use the money to hire it out.

The pine market is down. I think your estimate is high. Every place is different, but we just had a normal density 1st thinning on 115 acres of 25 year old pines and another 21 acres clear-cut for a total of 136 acres. We got just under $100K from that part of our timbering. We got about $720/ac for the first thinning. Maybe the $1800/ac is some kind of estimate of the total value of all the timber if you clearcut the entire thing. Even then, it seems high to me.

Our contract specifies a price per ton for sawlogs, pole timber, and pulp for pines and mixed hardwoods. This is a planted loblolly pine plantation, but there are always some hardwoods that grow in them.

There will be lots of debris in the pines after the logging. We got into a USDA program for firebreaks and controlled burns. So, we flagged future firebreaks and had them remove all the trees in these. USDA will pay for us to have a dozer come in and push the stumps for firebreaks and for us to conduct controlled burns. You usually have to wait for 2-3 years after the thinning to conduct a burn in the pines. The fuel load is usually too high for the first couple years.

You can talk to the local power company about getting power in to give you an idea of cost. In our area, the power company will give you 1/4 mile of wire for free if you put in a "dwelling". We finished 500 sq ft of a barn and it counts as a dwelling in our county. The question becomes how far your property is from the nearest transformer and whether the power company can get the necessary easements. If you want water and power, I'd factor this in.

I don't know what your objectives are with this place. Our objective was a balance between timber income and wildlife management. So, we divided our pines into management units. We rotate our timbering between management units so we have different age classes of succession for wildlife. This may not be practical with smaller tracts. The cost of moving logging equipment in and out is significant. Often loggers don't want to mess with small harvests. If you decide to buy it, you will want to think about how you plan to manage it.

I think everyone has some good points, especially spelling everything out in a well thought out contract. Good luck cut !

Thanks. The timber company is very inflexible in what they want to do, and I’m worried about what they will leave behind. If I make an offer, it will be for less than they want for it.

I would think it would already be way less than normal at timber worth 1800.00 an acre.Do you get to read the contract?

Thanks. The timber company is very inflexible in what they want to do, and I’m worried about what they will leave behind. If I make an offer, it will be for less than they want for it.
When do they want to timber it?

They intend to leave it at 40 basal area when they are done, and the plan is to start as soon as the ground is dry enough. The contract will give them a 1 year window with 6 month wet weather clause.

A friend went out to cruise the timber and estimated that it would be worth about $2k per acre if clear cut.

My forrester is going to look at it tomorrow to see what he thinks. My inclination is to offer about $4k per acre rather than the $5600 an acre they want for it and if they won’t meet somewhere in the middle I’ll walk away.

That all sounds high to me. A normal 1st thinning would be in the ball park of 60-90. We just had a heavy second thinning done in one of our management areas. USDA paid us to thin it heavily to 50-60 basal.

Land prices vary greatly by location. We are not talking about prime farm land for a pine farm. When we bought our pine farm back in 2006 we paid $2500/ac. We thought the land had some long-term commercial development potential maybe 20+ years down the road. It has a pipeline going through it and a railroad bordering it as well as highway access. It is located about 80 miles or less from 3 major population centers.

We bought at the top of the market. Our land assessment was at $2500 for a few years and then began dropping to a low of $1775/ac at the low point. A first thinning of about 100 acres of pines and a 20 acre clear-cut of hardwoods only netted about $50 K back in 2015. Some of our owners wanted out but did not want to lose money. When the market bounced back recently. we had it on the market for about a year at $3700/ac with no offers. We pulled it from the market when we signed the solar contract.

Timber prices have been down. In our recent thinning, the logging company that purchased our timber almost walked away from our second thinning part because they could not get enough quotas from mills for logs even though they had no trouble selling the pulp from the first thinning that spring. We had to extend the contract to get them to do the second thinning.

Most big timber companies that own land have a full time group that constantly assess whether to hold or sell land. They are projecting timber prices down the road as well as diesel prices and distances to the mills from the land. They are not like other sellers of land. They have a break-even point where they believe it is more profitable to own the land and where it is better to buy standing timber from other land owners. We bought from Westvaco (at the time). They were bought by Mead and then Mead was bought out. Your description of the timber company being ridged exactly describes our experience with buying land from them. They had their own sales contract that absolved them of all liabilities and it was either sign it or we won't sell the land to you. They are not anxious sellers. For them it is purely a business decision based on their models.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Probably the same company, Jack.
Well if Westvaco was doing this and ridged when I bought, I'm sure the company that eventually bought out Mead-Westvaco is probably even more sophisticated in their analysis.

Don't get me wrong. While I didn't know at the time that we purchased at the top of the market, I only invested as though it was recreational land. So, unlike some of the other owners, I was not dismayed with the property value dropped. Our return was $50K in timber sales in 2015 and $160k in 2023. The land still has timber value. If the solar farm comes to fruition it will have been a great investment even though we bought at the top of the market at the time. I've had many years of enjoyment both in hunting and wildlife management on it over the years. I can't assign a value to that. If the solar farm falls through, we will still get some money over the next couple years and we will still own the property and have the standing timber value.

In hindsight, I'm glad we bought it when we did. Some of the other owners were upset recently that their financial expectations were not met, but signing the solar contract changed their tune. Time will tell....

Last edited:
They intend to leave it at 40 basal area when they are done, and the plan is to start as soon as the ground is dry enough. The contract will give them a 1 year window with 6 month wet weather clause.

A friend went out to cruise the timber and estimated that it would be worth about $2k per acre if clear cut.

My forrester is going to look at it tomorrow to see what he thinks. My inclination is to offer about $4k per acre rather than the $5600 an acre they want for it and if they won’t meet somewhere in the middle I’ll walk away.

Recreational properties have sky rocketed over the past four years, seems reasonable to me but I’d definitely make a lower offer. We paid $1800/acre for timbered mountain property in 2017. Now the Low end is $7k/acre and some are getting $20k +.

Land is out of sight around me. I paid $650 an acre about thirty years ago for my place and now land around me is going for $5,000 and up, some of it way up. It‘s ridiculous IMO, because you can only get your money back by selling it, you sure aren’t going to make it back with cattle or timber.

Land is out of sight around me. I paid $650 an acre about thirty years ago for my place and now land around me is going for $5,000 and up, some of it way up. It‘s ridiculous IMO, because you can only get your money back by selling it, you sure aren’t going to make it back with cattle or timber.

Exactly. Recreation is driving the price and has been for years in most areas.

I looked at a couple in Ohio - both were clearcut and left rough (though I still regret being neither). Sit on it 5 years, go in with a mulcher and you will have the ugliest, but most productive, deer property around on the cheap. Just me though

My place had been cut pretty thoroughly a few years before I bought it. I was surprised by how few years it took to morph into a nice property. I cut pines on it twice, mostly to fulfill my tax obligations, (yes, we have property taxes in the great State of Texas so you never truly own your land here😠), but now I’m on wildlife exemption which helps some on taxes. I decided to cut the pines on a 12” stump the last time because there is zero benefit to deer from pine trees, and very little benefit to me.

My biggest concern, esp with some of the midwest versus the northeast, would be the resulting effort needed to deal with invasive and cut (with subsequent weather) related damages.

I think if it was me, I'd simply wait them out. Why buy a pig-in-the-poke unless it is a rally good deal. I'd just wait until they timber it and then you can evaluate the result and have more knowns in your decision making.

Cutman, what is the current basal area of the stand?

One thing to think about and talk to your forester about is the likelihood of wind or ice damage following a cutting back to that low of a basal area. Lots of these loblolly stands around SC that get cut back that heavy on a first / second thinning will end up with significant loss within the first couple years following the thinning. Getting a stand down that low is usually best done by taking it down around 70, then coming back 3-5 years later and getting it down in the 40-50sq. ft. range. Gives the remaining trees time to develop root and crown structure to be more resilient. If they take a 24 y/o stand from 100-125 BA back to 40, they may as well take it all.

Bid on the raw land and stipulate that 40% be thinned to 70 BA and the remainder clearcut, or work out the math to the effect that they get the volume they want, but leave you with enough of a stand thinned properly to make it marketable in the future, but also gives you an opportunity to plant back the way you want it.

Back