Tree Sourcing

Long Cut

I lurk on here on and off, but plan to become more regular as our Farm is undergoing the “scalpel” so-to speak right now.

We own a family farm of 64 acres in Central GA. Unfortunately our pines were decimated by beetles, and we are having most of the farm clear cut, aside from large oak trees I’ve flagged off.

The Property will be put into approximately 33 acres of Long Leaf Pines, 2 acres wetlands, 4 acres food plots, 10 acres hardwoods with roughly 12 acres of CRP.
The overall goal of this property is wildlife and recreation.

My goal is to plant Chestnut, Persimmon, Sawtooth, Pear and various other oak trees within the property to replace what is being harvested. Specifically in the 4 acres of food plots and 10 acres of hardwoods.

With all that being said, what varieties of Chestnut specifically would y’all recommend? Zone 8 mainly upland sites, Soil PH 5.4-5.7 range

Pictures;
White: Long Leaf Pines
Yellow: CRP
Green: Food Plots
Brown: Hardwoods
Blue: WetlandIMG_0228.jpegIMG_6483.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0229.png
    IMG_0229.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Do yourself a favor and make 90% of your chestnuts just plain, seedling Chinese trees. If you want to do some experimenting with a few specialty types on the other 10%, that's fine. Everyone needs to play around and experiment a little, and doing that can add some fun to your work.

With that said, if I were going to plant any specialty varieties, I would talk with Ryan at Blue Hill Nursery. He has some interesting varieties, and I have confidence in his knowledge and what he says. Also, check with @wbpdeer on this forum. If I remember correctly he is now selling Chinese seedlings, and I know that he grows seedlings from superior individual trees within the Chinese variety - and he is a chestnut icon!

Good Luck

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and make 90% of your chestnuts just plain, seedling Chinese trees. If you want to do some experimenting with a few specialty types on the other 10%, that's fine. Everyone needs to play around and experiment a little, and doing that can add some fun to your work.

With that said, if I were going to plant any specialty varieties, I would talk with Ryan at Blue Hill Nursery. He has some interesting varieties, and I have confidence in his knowledge and what he says. Also, check with @wbpdeer on this forum. If I remember correctly he is now selling Chinese seedlings, and I know that he grows seedlings from superior individual trees within the Chinese variety - and he is a chestnut icon!

Good Luck

Thank you, Native. I was hoping you’d chime in.

I looked at Blue Hill, always sold out. I’ll. Try grabbing some of his Persimmons next year to tie into some food plots. My main goal is getting the hardwoods started out after the first burn this Spring. The hardwoods should be on a 3-5 year burn interval, so most trees should be large enough to survive the 2027-2028 burn.

I’ll reach out to WBP on here as well for some of his chestnuts.

Thanks again Native

You're a little late to look for chestnuts for planting, but perfect circle farm likely still has some seed nuts. For wildlife, you don't have to be too picky on variety.

If you have a chinese chestnut seedling ready to plant, now is a good time as it dormant. Plant now or in January and then in the spring the roots are already established and it will get going when the ground warms up. If you plant now, you have to protect the seedling the day that you plant it. Otherwise, the family doe groups will browse them to death in a night or two.

Ask me how I know this? Too many good seedlings get killed this way.

I’m near Athens and will have some sawtooth seedlings this fall. I usually get $1 each for bareroot. They are from trees I have been growing since 1998. Take my advice and don’t plant ANYTHING without tree tubes or cages.

Last edited:
Thank you, Native. I was hoping you’d chime in.

I looked at Blue Hill, always sold out. I’ll. Try grabbing some of his Persimmons next year to tie into some food plots. My main goal is getting the hardwoods started out after the first burn this Spring. The hardwoods should be on a 3-5 year burn interval, so most trees should be large enough to survive the 2027-2028 burn.

I’ll reach out to WBP on here as well for some of his chestnuts.

Thanks again Native
Long Cut,

How did your loggers do for you? I am assuming they have finished up their work.

Hope all is well down your way.

wbpdeer

Back