2024 tree and shrub planting

Jsteinke5188

I'm looking what trees and shrubs I can get ordered up and plant this spring... hopefully bareroot. I've been planting both for about 3 years now. My 10 acres has nothing but big pines on the ridge, and a swamp full of dead spruce. The only tree worth a damn is the oak right next to the house!

I've went heavy with the white oaks, swamp whites, and burs. Should I get some red oak going? 🤔 diversify? Better growth with a red?

Also, with shrubs, I've planted silky and red osier dogwoods. Serviceberry, ninebark, hazelnut, plums. I'm using the shrubs mostly for a screen for my food plot. The road is 200 yds away but you can see right to my food plot so I want cover and a nice thick screen to keep the neighbors eyes from wandering. Possibly mix in pines of some sort along my screen?
My main goal is to improve the property for mice all the way to deer bear and wolves. Plant things that both my family and the wildlife can benefit from. And close off that wide open food plot! In total I've planted about 100 trees n bushes, got about 70 left. I cage everything, water when I can[ I live 5 hours south], and try to fertilize a bit. Also added about 15 apple pear and plum trees.

So... fast growing shrubs? switch up to red oaks? Also, I'm in zone 4a, northern WI. Right on the border of the Yoopers!

Thanks!

You definitely want to add a few red oaks too. Northern Red should do well in your area. Reds keep feeding the deer in late winter and into early spring after the whites are gone.

I don't have a lot of other advice for you. You said you were caging everything, which tells me you are doing things right and not a novice at this type of thing. Just choose species that will thrive in your northern climate and meet your goals.

I will say that you live in an area that is known for being a great place to grow apples and crabapples. You might check with Blue Hill on some of his varieties. However, bears can be a real threat to fruit trees, so that is something to consider.

Good luck.

Native, thank you! With all the research I've done, I wrote off red oaks because of the tannins. But it seems that their growth is much better compared to the white oaks. I'm playing the long game with my nut trees, I can only hope to one day see acorns!

Blue hill has a great selection and reasonably priced! I think it's time to add in some crabs, they seem to be better suited for the cold too!

Native, thank you! With all the research I've done, I wrote off red oaks because of the tannins. But it seems that their growth is much better compared to the white oaks. I'm playing the long game with my nut trees, I can only hope to one day see acorns!

Blue hill has a great selection and reasonably priced! I think it's time to add in some crabs, they seem to be better suited for the cold too!

The tannins don't deter the deer from eating them once the better tasting acorns are gone, and the tannins are what keep the red oak acorns from rotting quickly. In terms of growth - yes - they definitely grow faster than any of my trees in the white oak family.

I think you are too far north for Swamp Chestnut Oak, but it has become one of my favorites for a lot of reasons. In fact, I can eat them myself straight off the tree with no leaching, but I wouldn't say they taste as good as a chestnut.

Last edited:
I'd say your correct about me being too far north. My property is also in a VERY low lying area and I get some very late freezes all the way into June as of late. But thanks again, just found 25 bareroot red oaks for 25$ through my county tree sale! I'm very interested to see the growth rates between the red and white.

I'd say your correct about me being too far north. My property is also in a VERY low lying area and I get some very late freezes all the way into June as of late. But thanks again, just found 25 bareroot red oaks for 25$ through my county tree sale! I'm very interested to see the growth rates between the red and white.

You probably already know about red osier dogwood, but that would be a great deer shrub for your area in those low lying areas with a lot of moisture. It is a high quality deer browse.

Man.... bought 25 bareroot red osier last year to add to my property. Then the drought hit and I think I counted maybe 7 or 8 that were still alive this past fall. Nervous for spring though as always. Check for mice damage and hope my big fenced in areas are still standing haha the deer have jumped my 8ft fences already!

None of my ROD lived through the drought so I am buying some more bareroot from Kansas this year

I hadn’t seen them on the Kansas site. I’ll have to look again. Pretty plants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t write off those red oaks. They’re good insurance and will often produce in years the NWO’s don’t. It’s very common to watch the deer vacuuming up red oak acorns as soon as they hit the ground on our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also! My PH is low, about 5.5. Pretty sandy too.
A fist full or two (one pound per 4' square) of Waukesha lime from the Tractor Supply scattered around each tree would go a long way to get you into the strike zone. Should be able to find it at any Tractor Supply you pass on your way up there. That kind is good for sandy soil. I like the coarse for some extended release and forgiveness if you get a little hot on the rate.

1707897106059.png

Last edited:
A fist full or two (one pound per 4' square) of Waukesha lime from the Tractor Supply scattered around each tree would go a long way to get you into the strike zone. Should be able to find it at any Tractor Supply you pass on your way up there. That kind is good for sandy soil. I like the coarse for some extended release and forgiveness if you get a little hot on the rate.

View attachment 27368
It's crazy what you don't think of lol I've been putting lime on my food plot for years... not realizing my trees are growing in that same soil. I'll have to add some at planting and maybe get a rotation going for all my other trees to improve that soil too.

I might try getting some manure compost 40lb bags and spread those around my trees... too late to mix it in but it's got to help in the long run?

Back