Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Merle, I am 85% sure that what you have there are native phragmites. Most of the phragmites that folks have seen are the invasive ones that were introduced, but we have native varieties that are not invasive, and the coloring in your stalks and leaves are almost a sure bet that this is what you have. If I could see a seed head I could be more sure.

I can't say that they are a bunchgrass, but I have seen them growing in clumps that definitely resemble a bunchgrass. I have seen these on hillsides in Eastern KY. Below are some links that compare the native to the introduced. You should be able to find enough information to make a positive ID.

http://greatlakesphragmites.net/blog/native-vs-invasive-phragmites/

http://www.watershedcouncil.org/phragmites.html

http://www.kgnaturephotography.com/...australis-~-common-reed-~-native-variety.html
Thanks NH, I'll look closer next week and see if I need to keep it or roundup this stuff before it gets out of hand.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Thanks NH, I'll look closer next week and see if I need to keep it or roundup this stuff before it gets out of hand.

If I'm right and it is the native phragmites they likely won't spread very quickly or even become a problem. Native phragmites are not known for forming monocultures like the invasive stuff. They are generally found in mixed plant communities and only take a significant amount of ground in areas that are just perfect for their growth.

Of course, you may not want it even if it is what I think, so you may want to nuke it anyway.

If it's native, I can live with it and it may be. It spread this year, but scattered out from the parent clump. More like from the seed blowing away than runners.

My son just closed a deal to add 12 more acres to the farm. It is separated from my place by a county road that deadends at my gate just a short distance past the land.

This is 12 acres of flat, cleared land with a barn, a pond and two mobile homes. He will likely sell the mobile homes but we could also keep one of them. Our plans are to rent it out for soybeans, and he will likely build a house here at some point in the future. The red is my existing place and the blue is the new land. My new tree planting is directly across the county road from his new place.

I'm happy for him to get this. He really wanted it and I feel like he got a great deal. The entire road is now just family, except for a little at at the beginning. My cousin owns the land that joins me and my son south of me. Very happy about this.

Last edited:
Congrats! Thats fantastic news. Surrounding habitat looks fantastic also!

Thanks Sam. I forgot to mention that there is a small woods on the north tip of that land that has several nice white oaks that would bring some good dollars. I think everyone overlooked those trees. I need to examine closer but I see several that are over 16 inches DBH or around that size.

Strange, Clear, Liquid Substance Falling from the Sky - 9/17/16

Today a strange, clear liquid substance started falling from the sky. It was in droplets and fell, and fell, and fell and is still falling.

I know I have seen something like this before but has been so long I don't recall much about it. It has completely saturated the ground.

Strange, Clear, Liquid Substance Falling from the Sky - 9/17/16

Today a strange, clear liquid substance started falling from the sky. It was in droplets and fell, and fell, and fell and is still falling.

I know I have seen something like this before but has been so long I don't recall much about it. It has completely saturated the ground.

Hard to believe we were getting dry after all the rain we've had this year but I was very thankful for that rain also!!

Great news on the land addition .

Strange clear liquid would be good...

That wedge shaped piece between your main property and this addition - owned by family?

Strange clear liquid would be good...

That wedge shaped piece between your main property and this addition - owned by family?

No, that is the only place on the whole road not owned by family now. The part south of the main property and east of the new property is family and we can hunt it. I like to turkey hunt that place.

Things look great native....cool recent blessings too! I know what your dad was thinking while standing on the porch overlooking the NWSG....."I wonder how the cows would handle this stuff?"

Things look great native....cool recent blessings too! I know what your dad was thinking while standing on the porch overlooking the NWSG....."I wonder how the cows would handle this stuff?"

Doug, he has definitely become a fan of the NWSGs, and he frequently mentions how much more feed they would make compared to how the fields used to be. He loves that place as much as I do, and I'm glad he feels it is being taken care of. I'm not embarrassed to say that even at my age, his approval of the land management is very important to me - even more than ever before.

I also envy you on time spent with good ole dad on the hunting grounds. Thanks for posting the pics of him.
What better thing can a man do but work the land to meet his goals? Your property continues to impress.
Rains have been sporadic up here. Sstill waiting for a deluge on the Home 10.

You had me with the little green fruit.

Beautiful, and I love the story of your place.

I have a similar sized tract that has been in my family since 1950 and now I own it. The open portions were fescue for the last 60+ years and also had cows, so the hard pan as well as killing the fescue has been a challenge, but I make progress every year.

I will follow this thread with great interest. Thank you for sharing

Native - Catching up on your thread and thrilled to see that your son was able to purchase adjoining property! Great accomplishment for him and nice to have adjoining land in the family. Bout time to post of pic of 3 generations together on the place.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.

TC, I agree that we need that picture. I need to figure out a way to get that soon.

Back