Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

NH- Next time you come to Edgefield,SC let me know. That's where my parents live and not far from Clemson,SC (< 2 hours), which where I currently live.

I will sure do that. It will likely be next year before I'm back down there, but if I'm in the area for any other reason before that, I will shoot you a PM. It's a beautiful old town, and I always enjoy the trip.

This is a young Gallaway Pear planted in the spring of 2014. All pears are still hanging tight. Looks like it will perform as advertised with mostly dropping in November. About 1/2 or more of Kieffer pears have fallen off the trees in the last few days. This is typical of Kieffer in my area. They will all be on the ground within a few more days.

This is an apple grafted this spring. Just incredible growth in one season. Both grafts lived and have almost closed in the space.

I'm not sure how this plot has done so well. It has had very little rain, and we have nothing forecasted for the next 15 days. The most deer activity is in the old plot from last year close to the barn. They are literally wearing out the chicory in that area. So far they are not eating these radishes but cherry picking the wheat, clover and emerging chicory coming up with the radishes.

67F62286-AB57-47D1-87E9-B3558E91EF7F_zps4cbbc5jq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We will be doing out first hunting next weekend on our 2 day muzzleloader season. Early ML is generally not that great here, but I have had some recent pics of our two mature bucks just before dark in the plots. Also, my tree planting is literally littered with chestnuts and pears right now - so lots of food available if that means anything.

Wishing everyone good luck.

Last edited:
Thx for info on the Galloway pears. Seems frost keeps getting our Kieffer and Orient pears. Had a few Kieffers this year with some still on the tree. Not a single Orient pear. Said it many times but worth saying again...your place always looks amazing! So many pics in your thread are frame worthy.

I am amazed at the growth you get on your radishes. Drought Monitor shows a few counties being "abnormally dry" but all in all Kentucky looks to be doing pretty well as of last Thursday...Do you fertilize your plots or use chicken litter?

8d52ce77d8d99f120a65cbb0775796bc.jpg

I am amazed at the growth you get on your radishes. Drought Monitor shows a few counties being "abnormally dry" but all in all Kentucky looks to be doing pretty well as of last Thursday...Do you fertilize your plots or use chicken litter?

8d52ce77d8d99f120a65cbb0775796bc.jpg

Johnny,

I'm very near the west edge of the abnormally dry area shown on that map, and it goes well past what the map shows at many locations. With the spotty rains, there are also lots of places that are much more than just abnormally dry.

I don't use any fertilize of any kind on those plots. The ground is somewhat rocky but very fertile in my plot areas. Also the plots in the pictures are on fairly low ground where the moisture retention is better too. I feel very blessed to be able to grow productive plots without any soil improvements being done. It saves a lot of money!

Thanks - Steve

Last edited:
10-29-16 Update:
I haven't done an update for a while and not much has changed. Things going on right now:

• Pretty much the same deer as I started the year with. Two mature bucks, several young bucks, and several does.
  • Deer wearing out food plots despite loads of acorns on the ground. They are eating plots like no tomorrow, and everything in them - including radishes.
  • Chasing very strong right now - even the mature bucks. What I see tells me that by November 12 (gun season) we will be well past peak rut - just like it was last year.
  • A few pics:
This deer is obviously old. Been a few days since a daylight pic. I named him Normal.

This is Abby Normal. He has chased does through the plots in daylight several time over the last week.

This is a very nice looking young buck that needs more time:

Does wearing the plots out:

I could only dream of a November 12th rifle opener in Oklahoma. Big bucks would be stacked like cord wood...

Good luck!

A tiny crabapple I planted this spring already with fruit. Supposed to be a November dropper. I will report as time goes on:

Morris Burton planted this spring. Yellow but still hard. Looks like it will be a November persimmon:

Nothing left but burs:

Dry but healthy no till clover, planted this year. Low ground plots look much better.

I could only dream of a November 12th rifle opener in Oklahoma. Big bucks would be stacked like cord wood...

Good luck!

Thanks Johnny. They will be post rut here by then. The 6.5 year old I killed last year was grazing in a plot at 2 in the afternoon. Only time we saw him in 6 days of hunting. Leading up to the opener he was visible in daylight nearly every day. When I killed him he was loading up on groceries recouping from the rut.

Thanks Johnny. They will be post rut here by then. The 6.5 year old I killed last year was grazing in a plot at 2 in the afternoon. Only time we saw him in 6 days of hunting. Leading up to the opener he was visible in daylight nearly every day. When I killed him he was loading up on groceries recouping from the rut.

Weird...around here that would be ground zero...I am excited our rifle season starts the 19th of November this year and that is real early for us...

About time Native. Are those the browe tines on the too tall buck? Crazy cool rack. I have a buck/doe gene that gives similar tall and narrow rack on my place. Always fun to watch them progress. My 4 yo with that rack this year has a busted leg, so don't know if he will progress like his great great granddaddy/grandma. Clover looks great for our drought this year.

About time Native. Are those the browe tines on the too tall buck? Crazy cool rack. I have a buck/doe gene that gives similar tall and narrow rack on my place. Always fun to watch them progress. My 4 yo with that rack this year has a busted leg, so don't know if he will progress like his great great granddaddy/grandma. Clover looks great for our drought this year.

Thanks dogghr. Yes, it does appear to be brow tines on that buck. He showed up here 2 years ago, and I have him aged at 5 this year, so we are hunting him. He has the bluff on the others and is dominant.

We see both tall/narrow and wide, but somewhere in between is the norm. I (nor anyone else) has ever seen one as strange as Abby Normal around here - although Herman Munster that I shot last year wasn't far off. Two years in a row for me that my dominant deer is freaky. I'm ready for something more normal next year.

Good luck with your hunting my friend!!

Great pictures NH. Love the way you get different angles of that barn in the pics. I have had some bucks around the Bull Pen that look like your tall rack guy. Thanks for the update. Always enjoy

Great pictures NH. Love the way you get different angles of that barn in the pics. I have had some bucks around the Bull Pen that look like your tall rack guy. Thanks for the update. Always enjoy

I tricked you this time lak - that is the old corn crib next to the barn.:)

Good to hear from you and hope you are doing well!!!

Back