Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

I know photos can sometimes mislead us but the Normal Buck has a tank body. Makes his rack look thin when it might score better than I think on that tank body.

Your ability to show the farm thru photos is outstanding. All of us sure enjoy your updates. Thanks for sharing.

Well Native, my wife and I are in Massanutten, Va with four other couples celebrating our year anniversary since New England cruise last year. On the way up we stopped in Lexington, Va to check out Robert E Lee tomb at Washington and Lee and then we strolled through Stonewall Jackson cemetery. We walk upon a tree that is loaded with these

kousa.JPG

My friends were impressed that I could whip out my trusty android, look up Native Hunter's property thread, and tell them exactly what we had found!!

Abby Normal is a very unique buck. I hope you guys get him this year. Activity definitely picked up around here this past week. Still, cool air and moisture are much needed.
I'd be interested in a scion swap if you have any to spare from the pear and persimmon posted. ;) They look like small trees so you may not want to do surgery on them yet.

I know photos can sometimes mislead us but the Normal Buck has a tank body. Makes his rack look thin when it might score better than I think on that tank body.

Your ability to show the farm thru photos is outstanding. All of us sure enjoy your updates. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Wayne. He is a heavy weight for sure. His body is right up there with any we have ever seen around here. Probably would be a good idea to get the tractor to load him if we make the harvest.

Well Native, my wife and I are in Massanutten, Va with four other couples celebrating our year anniversary since New England cruise last year. On the way up we stopped in Lexington, Va to check out Robert E Lee tomb at Washington and Lee and then we strolled through Stonewall Jackson cemetery. We walk upon a tree that is loaded with these

View attachment 4275

My friends were impressed that I could whip out my trusty android, look up Native Hunter's property thread, and tell them exactly what we had found!!

That's too cool Lak. You could have had some fun with them and said it was brought back in the space shuttle.;)

Abby Normal is a very unique buck. I hope you guys get him this year. Activity definitely picked up around here this past week. Still, cool air and moisture are much needed.
I'd be interested in a scion swap if you have any to spare from the pear and persimmon posted. ;) They look like small trees so you may not want to do surgery on them yet.

Fish, I may have some pear, but that persimmon is really tiny with almost no limbs. But, when we do get some limbs, I will fix you up with some. You may also want to try that crab, but I need some time with it to see if its a good one.

I love this thread! Thanks for continuing to inspire with all of your pics and knowledge.

Thanks Cedar Ridge, and I'm glad you enjoy the thread. From time to time I do some work down in Western KY, and always admire the great mixture of cover and food in that area. Best wishes with your hunting this year!

Last edited:
Just catching up Native. Good stuff as always. Love Abby Normal and hope to see harvest pics!

Thanks TC, and good to hear from you. I've got to take some time to catch up myself soon. I'm pretty busy and just kind of skimming through everything as I get time. Take Care friend...................

Son shot this Tuesday morning. Not a drop of blood and we thought a clean miss. We combed the entire area the best we could and saw no indication of a hit. He went back to hunting later and eventually took another deer. Buzzards led me to this one today. I just went ahead and used my tag so no one could call any fowl play. I thought it was the right thing to do, so I'm finished hunting. Breaks my heart to lost this meat, but felt we did all we could. Never had anything like this to happen before and hope it never does again.

%5BURL=http://s219.photobucket.com/user/Steve_Conover/media/1 - Deer Pictures 2015 - 2016/E0C2C2E6-D0A7-4632-8564-CDA14669644F_zpsn7nqxjyn.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Can't see the picture Steve.

Johnny, I think I have got it showing now. Not sure what was happening with the pic.

I did a quick rough taping and came up with 150.25 inches. Had 12 points.
Edit: I took my time and came up with 146.75.

I feel bad about not finding that deer. It really didn't go far but was in a jungle of thick grass. Never found a single drop of blood, and the deer just raised his tail and took off walking fast when he shot. He shot it in one of my mowed lanes, but when it turned the corner where my lane curved we lost sight of it. After it turned the corner and was out of our sight it left the lane and went off in the tall grass and I didn't have a clue..... I combed and combed the area and never even saw as much as a hair.

Last edited:
Dang! Hate when that happens but it
happens. You familiar with the buck you tagged Steve? How was the other buck your boy shot?
My dad shot at a big 8 on my place this week. No blood.. I may have to go listen for some buzzards myself. Gonna hunt behind the house this ev. Mommas 40wks pregnant so figured I better stay close to home with cell service:)

Last edited:
Dang! Hate when that happens but it
happens. You familiar with the buck you tagged Steve? How was the other buck your boy shot?
My dad shot at a big 8 on my place this week. I may have to go listen for some buzzards myself. Gonna hunt behind the house this ev. Mommas 40wks pregnant so figured I better stay close to home with cell service:)

Jordan, I am fairly certain that this is the same buck which has been coming to my farm during the second rut in December for the last two years. I need to pull out some old trail cam pics and see if I can tell for sure. I do know that the buck hasn't been on my cameras this year for sure. The December buck has been a 10 point and this one is 12, but he could have added the other points this year. The shape of the rack makes me think its him.

The other buck my son took was just an average 3 year old. He had to go back to work and wasn't going to get to hunt anymore. He needed a deer to eat, so with the good crop of 3 year olds we had, we didn't think it would hurt anything to take one of them.

Yes, you need to hunt close and keep mamma on the line. Wishing you the absolute best on the birth of your next one. There is no greater blessing in this life than the joy from those little guys!!!!!!

Back