Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Thanks Guys.

Well the dogghr rain curse has been broken here. We finally got one that is significant and looks like a slow drizzle for quite a while longer.

I think it was because I forgave him for planting those brassicas...:D

Good deal on the rain.

Forgiveness is good medicine.

Thanks Guys.

Well the dogghr rain curse has been broken here. We finally got one that is significant and looks like a slow drizzle for quite a while longer.

I think it was because I forgave him for planting those brassicas...:D
Thankyou for the forgiveness. I promise I won't do it again...till next year. Wouldve been nice to have sent some rain my way. Brassica slow coming on with only 2 showers since planting and the deer eating new sprouts like candy. I'm sure you have plenty for the deer even without your brassica.

Congrats on the rain...I guess we can live vicariously through you :)

We can't buy one on our properties...

Pop up showers daily that for some reason hit town daily but can't seem to hit our properties at all. They get close sometimes within a mile or so but to actually rain on our ground - not happening :(

Thankyou for the forgiveness. I promise I won't do it again...till next year. Wouldve been nice to have sent some rain my way. Brassica slow coming on with only 2 showers since planting and the deer eating new sprouts like candy. I'm sure you have plenty for the deer even without your brassica.

Well, my yard at home is littered this morning with little round green things, which probably means my woods at the farm are as well. Will probably work like a big exclusion cage around the whole plot.

Congrats on the rain...I guess we can live vicariously through you :)

We can't buy one on our properties...

Pop up showers daily that for some reason hit town daily but can't seem to hit our properties at all. They get close sometimes within a mile or so but to actually rain on our ground - not happening :(

Send a tribute check to dogghr....:D

We may need to start a new foundation - Dogghr Brassica Tribute Foundation. I get half the money for inventing it...:D

Well, I decided to burn a vacation day today and make it a long weekend. I wanted to check plots planted 19 days ago and had a rifle scope that needed replacing.

Our last rain was not as good as I thought it was. The ground is still very dry - you can jerk up a perilla plant and the dust boils. My best plot was where I thought it would be - on low ground at the head of a ditch. The other places were OK but not nearly what it was here.

This is 19 days after planting with minimal rain. I wish it all looked this good. Where you plant is probably more important than what you plant when it is very dry.

I had the pleasure of my Dad coming and joining me for a walk. He did the disking on the plots, and I wanted him to see our work. We had a great time just out walking around.

He also helped me when I got ready to change the scope on the rifle. He already had a target up and sandbags laying out for me to use on the shooting bench. This old Redfield scope was from back in the early 80s and finally went bad. I put a new scope on it and bore sighted the gun with my eyes. The first shot was 2 inches from where I wanted it to be. It lined in quickly.

Rifle sighted in with new scope.

We have fruit growing on pine trees this year. Some of you will figure this out quickly. If it was fruit from Mars, I would be worried.

My fruit harvesting trail I keep mowed with a lawn mower. I get what falls in this path - the critters get what falls in the weeds.

One of the dandy female persimmon seedling trees I set a few years ago. I was lucky and got a good percentage of females.

Not entirely certain what this little pear is but it is sweet as sugar. First crop this year.

That's about it guys - fun day and a nice one to remember for years to come.......

I swear I love this thread. My dad passed away in 1994 when I was 36. Can't imagine how much joy I would get if he had lived long enough to see what me and the boys are doing on our place now. Enjoy each moment you get to spend with your dad. Precious times! And...your dad looks like he could hang with you all day long.

I swear I love this thread. My dad passed away in 1994 when I was 36. Can't imagine how much joy I would get if he had lived long enough to see what me and the boys are doing on our place now. Enjoy each moment you get to spend with your dad. Precious times! And...your dad looks like he could hang with you all day long.

TC, I realize what a blessing it has been to have my dad all these years. I'm sure your dad is looking down from above and proud of you and the boys. Dad is 81 and has his down times like we would expect, but he is holding up really well. He can hang in there with me for sure.

Last edited:
I always love spending time with pops at the farm. He likes to come look at my plots--doesn't hunt but always wants an update.

I was fortunate to get 1" of rain over the last 2 days. My low land plot (boggy bottom plot) looks so much better when compared to the plots on higher ground.

todd

Good stuff as always, NH. Your place is beautiful and you are quite the caretaker. Fruit looks good. You are so right about planting in the right place. But, I obviously need to throw some hats in my plots when I plant. Seems the plots do so much better for folks that have a hat or boots in the field!

Thanks dogdoc and Lak.

Lak, the secret on the hat is to find a tiny one to make the plots look bigger. Or when I can't find a tiny hat, I dig a hole and put the hat in it....:D

Plots looking good Native, dang you on the dad pics tho. Looked at those last night and brought tear to my eye. I can tell he was a beast of a man at one time and it is hard to see age give such a beating. That generation lived thru times that we today have no right to complain of our circumstances. Glad he does good, and I'm sure you had a good time with him. I know the feeling. Enjoy your holiday.

Plots looking good Native, dang you on the dad pics tho. Looked at those last night and brought tear to my eye. I can tell he was a beast of a man at one time and it is hard to see age give such a beating. That generation lived thru times that we today have no right to complain of our circumstances. Glad he does good, and I'm sure you had a good time with him. I know the feeling. Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks dogghr. Yes, a special man and special generation that is taking something with them which is so hard to find today. He loved farming more than anyone I have ever known. He still loves helping with anything I have to do, including the spring mowing, which is more than welcome when he comes out with that big bat wing hog!!!.

Last edited:
I'm taking a little vacation this week and thought I would update this thread.

First pic is red clover and chicory put in last year. This was mowed high recently. The orange weeds in the background at the edge of the plot is jewelweed in a low wet spot.

I'm standing almost in the spot my deer was standing when I harvested him last year. You can see my stand in the distance near the center of the pic..

This is wheat and clover put in 8-13-16. There has been so little rain, the clover has hardly germinated. Got about 1/4 inch right after planting and another 1/4 over the last 3 weeks.

Next two pics are where I added some radishes to the mix. They sure don't care if it rains or not.

I posted these pics of the Indian Grass in another thread - thought I would post them here too. I don't smoke grass, but I do get high when I look at this.

Pistol Scope on an over and under shotgun - yea, I do think out of the box every once in a while.

That's all folks - hope you enjoy....

In spite of very little rain your plots look great. Gotta love red clover during drought. Those long tap roots just have the ability to find moisture.

enjoyed the update.
todd

Indian grass looks great! I have some of what I thought was Indian grass volunteer last year, but I'm not sure now. I'll get a pic of it when I go up next week.
I'm gonna try and finish up our winter plots ahead of this rain.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Back