Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Jewel Weed is one of our woods greatest deer plants here as well. It especially shines in the dry years in the wet spots found in the woods near large AG fields here. One particular jewel weed patch was my afternoon GO-TO bow/muzzle loader spot for years. Had a lot of great movement there in the 3 pm range. It is the most water filled plant going here when the woods are dry.

I agree with you 100% Native, THE WET SPOTS IS WHERE IT ALL HAPPENS.

Took a few pictures today.

My favorite spots are transition zones between food plots and forb areas - where the species blend together.

If you read on the Internet about Orange Jewelweed, the experts will tell you that it grows from 2 - 5 feet tall. That's a joke - it grows 6 or 7 feet tall in rich soil and a place that it likes. I spend 15 minutes a year keeping this going and the deer appreciate it.

Many people look at a ditch and see useless land. I look at a ditch and see a fertile spot where there is a lot of moisture. The perfect place for a weed food plot. When I started managing my land for deer this ditch was a mess of sycamores and other useless junk. Now it has nothing but species I promote for deer - mostly jewelweed and honeysuckle. Once again, very little time to keep this going and so easy.

Candy fell from Heaven this week.

This is what Jap Beetles has done to a lot of chestnuts, but it won't kill them.

The Native Hunter Fall Tree Jungle. Hard to believe this was mowed in the spring. That's the plan - maintain in the spring and let it grow up for the fall and winter.

One of these days someone is going to ask me what the heck these are, but I'm not telling until they ask.:D

I posted this in another thread but wanted to save it in this one for future reference. Below is growth of a pear I planted this spring up to today. Looks like 9 feet of growth to me.

That's about it folks. Happy Hunting.

Jewel Weed is one of our woods greatest deer plants here as well. It especially shines in the dry years in the wet spots found in the woods near large AG fields here. One particular jewel weed patch was my afternoon GO-TO bow/muzzle loader spot for years. Had a lot of great movement there in the 3 pm range. It is the most water filled plant going here when the woods are dry.

I agree with you 100% Native, THE WET SPOTS IS WHERE IT ALL HAPPENS.

Yep jewelweed is a jewel. :D

Warren does require a pollinator, and most any European pear that blooms nears the same time is a good choice.

I've never grown the other 2 you mentioned, but have heard of Shinseiki. It is supposed to be a good pear.
NH, I've got Shinseki, but this is only it's second year so no pears yet. It and one I grew from a seed are my only Asian pears so far.

that tall tree is loaded. What do have anchoring the rope?

I've got it tied off to another pear tree that has more pears than that one.:D

But, the other tree is one that came back from a rootstock and not a good one. Next spring I'm going to graft it so it can't be my anchor anymore. But hopefully that leaning tree will stiffen up with some growth and won't need a rope next year. I've seen this happen with pears before, and given enough time they will mature enough to handle the load.

I thought I would update with a few pics even though not that much new to share.

The first pic below shows where my existing Durana Clover plot joins a narrow strip of the new plot I put in recently. The established Durana is between the camera and the deer. The light green between the deer and the NWSG field is the new plot.

This new plot could use some rain. It has only had a light rain or two since planting. The morning dew keeps it alive but it is just in a stalled mode. We have a 60% chance tomorrow but almost nothing after that.

PS: I mowed the existing Durana high the same day I put in the new plot.

I have no new deer coming in and none leaving - same bunch all year long. That might change when the leaves fall. Generally I gain a few more and hardly ever lose one at that time.

This is the edge of a little no till clover plot I put in this year. It needs rain too.

I'm getting more and more impressed every day with the look of these Senator Clark Pears.

This Kieffer and several others about like it are going to drop a lot of fruit this year.

If anyone wants a strain of Perilla that gets as tall as a truck tail gate, I can send you some seed.:D

Last edited:
This is me checking a young pear tree at the edge of a new plot where it joins part of the tree planting. You have to look close near my feet to see any green at all. This is on higher, dry ground. The tiny amount of green you do see here is wheat. The other stuff hasn't even germinated. It will take some good rains to get this to take off.

Last edited:
That's about it for today. Thankful for the heavy morning dews but looking for a good rain to see my new plots take off.

I hear ya on the rain. I was very fortunate to get an inch yesterday but dad was out there today and said you can't even tell it rain. Ground was so dry it just sucked it up in a hurry. It was a pop up storm that dropped the inch real quick then the sun comes back out. We really need a good 2 to 3 days of a slow soaker.

I love that buck with all the junk on top. Very unique antlers. Is he on the hit list?

Those pears look awesome
todd

I hear ya on the rain. I was very fortunate to get an inch yesterday but dad was out there today and said you can't even tell it rain. Ground was so dry it just sucked it up in a hurry. It was a pop up storm that dropped the inch real quick then the sun comes back out. We really need a good 2 to 3 days of a slow soaker.

I love that buck with all the junk on top. Very unique antlers. Is he on the hit list?

Those pears look awesome
todd

Thanks Todd.

I hope you get some rain. We have it all around us tonight but not at us. I watched the radar a while ago and it looked like a fairly nice storm went right over my farm. I got excited and called my dad to ask him how much it was. He said none. It just clouded up and he heard a lot of thunder, but he said the patio wasn't even wet.

With any luck you and I both will get something significant soon. I don't think my new plots are in danger (yet) because of the morning dew, but they need something better to take off.

That buck is 5 years old and I have history on him, so I think it's time we hunted him. Two years ago as a 3 year old he was the first deer that walked out on opening morning of gun season, and we let him go. He was also here last year. I agree that those are the most unique antlers I have ever seen. We will be after him this time, because at 5 YO I can't imagine him changing much in another year.

I propose a toast to you and me both getting a good drenching rain...:D

Thanks Todd.

I hope you get some rain. We have it all around us tonight but not at us. I watched the radar a while ago and it looked like a fairly nice storm went right over my farm. I got excited and called my dad to ask him how much it was. He said none. It just clouded up and he heard a lot of thunder, but he said the patio wasn't even wet.

With any luck you and I both will get something significant soon. I don't think my new plots are in danger (yet) because of the morning dew, but they need something better to take off.

That buck is 5 years old and I have history on him, so I think it's time we hunted him. Two years ago as a 3 year old he was the first deer that walked out on opening morning of gun season, and we let him go. He was also here last year. I agree that those are the most unique antlers I have ever seen. We will be after him this time, because at 5 YO I can't imagine him changing much in another year.

I propose a toast to you and me both getting a good drenching rain...:D
Hey add me to that toast...haven't had rain in a long time...

Th plots I put in last wknd haven't even remotely began germination but that is to be expected with absolutely no moisture...

You have some great bucks to hunt this fall!

Hey add me to that toast...haven't had rain in a long time...

Th plots I put in last wknd haven't even remotely began germination but that is to be expected with absolutely no moisture...

You have some great bucks to hunt this fall!

Johnny, I will add you to the toast list. I'm drinking Gatorade...:D

The first thing to pop up was the wheat and peas. We got just enough rain that some of the other stuff on the low ground did germinate too. As you know, wheat will just about grow in the bed of a pickup truck.

I always enjoy the hunting regardless of what we see on camera, but it is always more exciting to have a couple of old one hanging around.

No rain is my fault. We had plenty from May till July. The day I planted brassica it stopped and they have done only moderately good. Probably will overseed with rye next week when I finish my plantings. No rain in 2 wk forecast so no chance to throw some more urea on the brassica to help them. Would the southerners mind if we had just a mild tropical storm come up the coast??? Thats the years my brassica do best.

No rain is my fault. We had plenty from May till July. The day I planted brassica it stopped and they have done only moderately good. Probably will overseed with rye next week when I finish my plantings. No rain in 2 wk forecast so no chance to throw some more urea on the brassica to help them. Would the southerners mind if we had just a mild tropical storm come up the coast??? Thats the years my brassica do best.

It takes a big man to admit that he is the cause for our rain stopping. Since you have fessed up we can surely forgive you.:D

If I do any overseeding with grains, it will have to be wheat or oats. None of the feed stores around here have "rye grain." They act like they done even know what it is. But, they have plenty of "rye grass."

Of course, I am liking wheat better and better since I noticed a lot of mature heads being eaten by the deer.

Thanks Guys.

Well the dogghr rain curse has been broken here. We finally got one that is significant and looks like a slow drizzle for quite a while longer.

I think it was because I forgave him for planting those brassicas...:D

Back