Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Fragile, over night, Fedx would cost about $130, I'm not saying that it would be cost prohibitive, but no.

You will have to can you own, your pears, as I'm sure you know are about a month from being ready to can.

I do have 20lbs of frozen pears that I brought with me for some more pear juice.

G

Fragile, over night, Fedx would cost about $130, I'm not saying that it would be cost prohibitive, but no.

You will have to can you own, your pears, as I'm sure you know are about a month from being ready to can.

I do have 20lbs of frozen pears that I brought with me for some more pear juice.

G

Pears, Trout, Elk and Mule Deer - you are set for the winter....

You and I think much alike , Native and not sure that is a compliment for you. Your pic of your ditch/drainage and your thinking on it mirrors the same I have kept for each of my drainages. In some ways I think I have spent more time cultivating natural flora in my creek bed than any where else on the farm. Love the pics as usual, and as usual the barn pic always brings a smile. Thanks.

It's one sold by WG.

Supposedly found growing at an old home place where Allen hunted and produced loads of fruit every year. He rated it average for FB resistance and said despite some signs of FB in bad years, it was always a heavy producer and stayed healthy.

Until this spring I had avoided it, because I wanted to plant only pears that were completely FB resistant. However, based on its history and the fact that it's a November dropper I decided to give it a try. I put out two of them.
Well, you really had me scratching my head on that one! I imagine deer like the fruit or you wouldn't have planted it.

You and I think much alike , Native and not sure that is a compliment for you. Your pic of your ditch/drainage and your thinking on it mirrors the same I have kept for each of my drainages. In some ways I think I have spent more time cultivating natural flora in my creek bed than any where else on the farm. Love the pics as usual, and as usual the barn pic always brings a smile. Thanks.

It just makes sense dogghr - where is the ground more fertile and where is the most moisture during dry times...........

Yep - we think alike!

Well, you really had me scratching my head on that one! I imagine deer like the fruit or you wouldn't have planted it.

Actually, I don't know if deer like the fruit. When I bought it I was reading about it being edible by humans. I can (and did) eat some of them, but not my cup of tea like a good pear or apple.

It just makes sense dogghr - where is the ground more fertile and where is the most moisture during dry times...........

Yep - we think alike!

Not sure my thinking will ever be to the level of NH and dogghr, but I learned early on that those drainage areas grew Sawtooth oaks twice as fast as any other spot. My best trees, the ones I pictured on the property tour post, are right at the head of a ditch that feeds the little pond.
BTW: Most of my 2013 sawtooth, pear and persimmon plantings are in areas with heavy fescue and/or bahaia and/or Bermuda (and of course dog fennel). Now that the trees are on their way, what would be a good plan to get something better growing around them? I want the areas to stay thick to double for cover and mast, but there must be a better ground cover than what I have.

Not sure my thinking will ever be to the level of NH and dogghr, but I learned early on that those drainage areas grew Sawtooth oaks twice as fast as any other spot. My best trees, the ones I pictured on the property tour post, are right at the head of a ditch that feeds the little pond.
BTW: Most of my 2013 sawtooth, pear and persimmon plantings are in areas with heavy fescue and/or bahaia and/or Bermuda (and of course dog fennel). Now that the trees are on their way, what would be a good plan to get something better growing around them? I want the areas to stay thick to double for cover and mast, but there must be a better ground cover than what I have.

Lak, in my case it was easy to get something better growing. The honeysuckle and the JW were already there but just needed the competition knocked back to turn them loose. At another ditch, blackberry, elderberry and some other forbs were already present. I just did strategically timed spraying and cutting with a pole saw to get what I wanted.

That may or may not be the case in your situation. One thing to keep in mind is erosion. You don't want to do anything to cause more. I have actually left some fescue in places just because of that fear. Tree roots will hold the ground and even though a person may not like fescue, it will hold the ground too. There is nothing better for a pond bank. In your case with planting trees, you may want to just plant more of them.

I think it comes down to observing the good stuff and bad stuff that wants to grow naturally in a specific spot. Then, work out your plan to give the advantage to the good stuff. I call it working with nature rather than against it. If I tried to grow JW at a spot it doesn't want to naturally grow, I would be a failure. I've learned to let nature do the talking and me do the listening.

Native Hunter,

Your place is a showcase for sure. I sure am glad you left cattle - it is a whitetail haven.

Look for your updates. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
The grass will be green after woody plants are dormant in November/December, which is a good time to spray gly and not injure dormant plants.

I had to do a little work again today and took a few more pictures I will share.

The first is one that Brush will probably be interested in. We have discussed an occasional Chinese Chestnut tree dying for no reason. In my old thread on the other forum I showed pics this spring of one coming back from the roots. At that time it was about chest high. This is that same tree today. I don't know why it died, but it sure does look in good shape now.

Here is what the fruit from Mars looks like on the inside. Like I said, it's edible but I've seen Bear G. eat yak eyeballs and not die.:)

This was a surprise today. I planted this food plot exactly a week ago. It didn't have a rain until 4 days ago. I can already see most everything I planted coming up a little bit. Unless we go into a drought, this low ground plot is going to take off quickly.

This plot was put in last year and mowed recently. Don't know if you can see it or not, but there is a tremendous bunch of alfalfa mixed in with the clover and chicory in that first pic. I like being able to grow alfalfa with no fertilizing. That won't happen on my high ground.

A crab fruiting for me for the first time. This is Dozier. Can't believe how far it looks from ripening. Does anyone else grow this crab and is it normal for it to be so green at this time of year?

Tickseed sunflower is getting ready to burst forth with blooms. I will take some pics when it does. This is going to be a big year for it.

The two pears below were set in the spring of 2014. Neither have fruited yet and are putting on lots of vegetative growth. That is fine with me. I really don't need any more pears dropping this year. The second one is a Kieffer that I'm experimenting with by removing the lower limbs a lot higher than normal. It is probably 8 feet to the first limbs. Just an experiment.

That's about it - I've worn you out with pictures lately. Hope you enjoy.

Of the Chestnuts that died, all but one have grown back, but it's been another dry Summer. I'm hoping this drought ends in my lifetime, the lakes and rivers are way down and trees are suffering.

I've been all over the world and seen lots of things, but I've never seen Martian fruit before! Is that thing radio active, it looks like it did something psychedelic to your knife? ;-)

Of the Chestnuts that died, all but one have grown back, but it's been another dry Summer. I'm hoping this drought ends in my lifetime, the lakes and rivers are way down and trees are suffering.

I've been all over the world and seen lots of things, but I've never seen Martian fruit before! Is that thing radio active, it looks like it did something psychedelic to your knife? ;-)

My wife asked me how I knew it was edible. I told her because I ate some of them and hadn't died yet. I guess Spock was right - the good of the many outweigh the good of the few.;)

I found a local dealer that has Warren Pear trees. Are they self pollinating? I can't find much on the net. They are in 3,5 and 7 gallon containers. Their 3 gallon is as cheap as bare root I have found. They have Warren, 20th Century and Shinseiki Asian. Now anything about these?

I found a local dealer that has Warren Pear trees. Are they self pollinating? I can't find much on the net. They are in 3,5 and 7 gallon containers. Their 3 gallon is as cheap as bare root I have found. They have Warren, 20th Century and Shinseiki Asian. Now anything about these?

Warren does require a pollinator, and most any European pear that blooms nears the same time is a good choice.

I've never grown the other 2 you mentioned, but have heard of Shinseiki. It is supposed to be a good pear.

Back