Will this work?

ALwoodsman

My large plot from last winter has all died out except for my clover. I believe if it weren't for the heat and lack of rain the clover would be doing great. The plot has been sprayed with Clethodim to kill the competing grasses. Would it work to sow wheat and oats and then mow the plot or should I disk it to plant? It would be nice to keep the established clover going if I can.

I think you can just broadcast without disking as long as you have some rain in the forecast.

Most of my clover succumbed to the heat and dry as well. Today and tomorrow I am mowing and will lightly till.. Hopefully then will just broadcast seed and feet and light disc in about a month

My large plot from last winter has all died out except for my clover. I believe if it weren't for the heat and lack of rain the clover would be doing great. The plot has been sprayed with Clethodim to kill the competing grasses. Would it work to sow wheat and oats and then mow the plot or should I disk it to plant? It would be nice to keep the established clover going if I can.

I have a very similar situation. Last year (my first year plotting), I did a few plots in rye/oats/peas/clover/radish and I have amazing clover-only plots now. However, I'm struggling with what to do now. Do I till the clover under and plant brassicas, or can I over-seed brassicas directly into the clover and then mow it short? I do plan to add rye and turnips to one of the clover plots as a test. I guess it will be trial and error.

Done it couple ways. I've over seeded those into clover early sept with great results. I usually add WR in mix in case one doesn't take. It helps to have rain and I usually run my packer or atv over it. I've also sprayed gly on the clover which sets it back to allow germ of the new seeds then the clover springs back. My experience with gly and clover is it just laughs and keeps growing.. I usually refrain from most tillage of clovers anymore. I always oversees my perennial clovers each fall with WR to help control weeds and use up a little of the excess N. Plus the deer have told me they like the extra food snack.

I always oversees my perennial clovers each fall with WR to help control weeds and use up a little of the excess N. Plus the deer have told me they like the extra food snack.

That's a great idea! Thanks Dogghr. That's one more bag of WR on the list.

Back