Question about small seed and cyclone seeders

William Allis

I am talking about spreading clover and brassica with a 3 point cyclone seeder. Many have said you just mix the seed in with rye, oats, etc. The deer don't care if it is a pure uniform stand. OK, I get that. After watching the cyclone seeder work it looks to me as if the seed feed from the center down. If you mix them in the center, don't they go straight down and get spread first? So, when you mix the small seed do you try to keep them on the outside edge of the seeder?

How big a plot? I've mixed some seed with pellet lime as a buffer. Most clover plots can use a shot of lime. If it's expensive clover seed, I would just use my solo spreader and walk it, if it isn't a huge plot.

I wouldn’t mix the clover in your 3 point spreader, use your 3 point for the big seed and spread the clover with a chest mounted/over the shoulder walking spreader.

I wouldn’t mix the clover in your 3 point spreader, use your 3 point for the big seed and spread the clover with a chest mounted/over the shoulder walking spreader.
I've done both. I find mixing with WR in a 3pt spreader is much faster and works plenty well enough for a food plot. If, for some reason, more even distribution is important for someone, you suggestion of spreading tiny seed like clover or PTT from a chest mount spreader does provide more even distribution. I find a Solo chest mount has a very good seed metering system for tiny seed.

IMG_2371.jpegIMG_2370.jpegI go both ways, (don’t read anything into that!), sometimes I use a Solo seeder but depending on what I’m planting, sometimes I put the clover seed in with the other seed. I planted a Green Cover blend last fall on one of my hunting spots and it had several different seeds thre (I think) were clovers. I had a very good distribution of seeds from my cyclone seeder.

Back