"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Got my seed from the coop today. 50 lb bag of daikon radishes, 100 lbs of wheat, 300 lbs of Elbon rye grain, 25 lbs of Barduro red clover and 10 lbs of Durana white clover...

04203ed06eeda20aed381f2a48b92a76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What Coop do you use? I am going to be heading that way and havent been able to get Rye yet

It never ends. I need to disc in my fall oat plots have already mowed them with tractor and shredder. I don't spray my fall plots, I found by the time you plant at sept 15 the growing season is about over and I don't have much of a weed problem after that. If I do have a few weeds after the oats come up I just go in and mow over the top of the oats and that pretty eliminates the weeds for the rest of the year.

I sprayed cleth on the 2 clover plots here on the hollow and then took my spray rig down to our other place and sprayed a little over 2 acres with gly. I mainly spray to kill grass because I have found grass will continue to grow until frost and I am not a fan of grass anywhere other than my yard.

I hope to plant by labor day weekend. I still have to get lime and fertilizer and I will be good to go...

I also brushhogged 4 hours commercially today so I got quite a bit of stuff done. From now till end of September I have quite a bit to do for my customers...

Wow id be more scared of bumping into that in dark more than bear. Congrats.
I walked into a big group of them several years ago in the dark at a wma I was bowhunting. I had no light and the noises those hogs made would sure make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

Years ago I paid to go hog hunting. I shot a Russian Black Boar, ate the meat and mounted the head. The head arrived in the mail and I hung it over the fireplace while the dog was outside. Later that evening the dog was in the house laying down when it looked up... spotted the beast with two long tusks and wild glass eyes... she yipped and bolted from the room with her tail between her legs. LOL

Times have changed and hogs are considered a nuisance, but your hog still made a great story, took a good pic, and I still see a trophy!

Years ago I paid to go hog hunting. I shot a Russian Black Boar, ate the meat and mounted the head. The head arrived in the mail and I hung it over the fireplace while the dog was outside. Later that evening the dog was in the house laying down when it looked up... spotted the beast with two long tusks and wild glass eyes... she yipped and bolted from the room with her tail between her legs. LOL

Times have changed and hogs are considered a nuisance, but your hog still made a great story, took a good pic, and I still see a trophy!
I have killed several of the "Russian" strain hogs in Texas and also in southern Oklahoma...On one of our trips down to southern Oklahoma I took a hog hunting newby for a bowhunt and he shot a big old sow in an overgrown grass field. When she ran off before she died we went to where she stood up from when he shot and there was a hog nest with 6 little pigs in it. Fawn colored with "racing stripes" as I like to call them on the true wild strains. The guy who shot the hog felt real bad but he never saw the young ones so he didn't know she had a litter. He also lived in the city so he had nowhere to keep pigs so we took the 6 and gave 4 of them to the ranch hand and I kept 2 small boars for myself.

I bottle raised those little guys in our house until they were took to food and then moved them outdoors to a pen I built behind out house. Those 2 boars grew to huge proportions and grew some extremely formidable looking tusks and were very aggressive. They were never outside of that pen which was a bout 60' x 60'. We used to have 3D archery shoots at our house some and one of the shots was the stake was about 1 foot from the hog pen. Made for some unnerving shooting with a huge wild boar hog woofing at you from inches away and trying to get through the fence.

1 day a friend of mine approached me about purchasing one of them for a breeder for some sows he wanted to stock on his hunting land (back then we thought we wanted them). We made an agreement and he brought a horse trailer over so we backed his trailer up near the pen and put a hog panel on both sides securely and then I cut the hog wire between to let the hogs in to that area to get into the trailer. We put corn in the trailer and when those hogs took there first step onto ground they had never walked they went nuts! They ended up busting under the hog panels and getting out of the confined areas and they chased my buddy up onto a borrowed trailer I had sitting there and proceded to knock the taillights out of the trailer. We made a dash for the house and I got my 30-06. When we went back outside 1 hog was headed toward my parents house and the other was headed toward a neighbors. We jumped in his truck and took off after them and the hog headed to my folks ran up and was raking the truck so I shot him and then we went to the other side of our place and shot the other one...

Even though those hogs had always had good clean feed and grain their entire lives and we took great care in preserving the meat and even took them to the local slaughter house right away and told them to season and everything else the smell of it cooking would still run you out of the house :(

Your a tougher guy than me if you can stand to eat full grown, uncut, wild boar meat. If they are cut when young and de-nutted they are fine but if they keep the nads then they are worthless for tablefare...

I have pictures but will have to get the scanner working to post them...

I have killed several of the "Russian" strain hogs in Texas and also in southern Oklahoma...On one of our trips down to southern Oklahoma I took a hog hunting newby for a bowhunt and he shot a big old sow in an overgrown grass field. When she ran off before she died we went to where she stood up from when he shot and there was a hog nest with 6 little pigs in it. Fawn colored with "racing stripes" as I like to call them on the true wild strains. The guy who shot the hog felt real bad but he never saw the young ones so he didn't know she had a litter. He also lived in the city so he had nowhere to keep pigs so we took the 6 and gave 4 of them to the ranch hand and I kept 2 small boars for myself.

I bottle raised those little guys in our house until they were took to food and then moved them outdoors to a pen I built behind out house. Those 2 boars grew to huge proportions and grew some extremely formidable looking tusks and were very aggressive. They were never outside of that pen which was a bout 60' x 60'. We used to have 3D archery shoots at our house some and one of the shots was the stake was about 1 foot from the hog pen. Made for some unnerving shooting with a huge wild boar hog woofing at you from inches away and trying to get through the fence.

1 day a friend of mine approached me about purchasing one of them for a breeder for some sows he wanted to stock on his hunting land (back then we thought we wanted them). We made an agreement and he brought a horse trailer over so we backed his trailer up near the pen and put a hog panel on both sides securely and then I cut the hog wire between to let the hogs in to that area to get into the trailer. We put corn in the trailer and when those hogs took there first step onto ground they had never walked they went nuts! They ended up busting under the hog panels and getting out of the confined areas and they chased my buddy up onto a borrowed trailer I had sitting there and proceded to knock the taillights out of the trailer. We made a dash for the house and I got my 30-06. When we went back outside 1 hog was headed toward my parents house and the other was headed toward a neighbors. We jumped in his truck and took off after them and the hog headed to my folks ran up and was raking the truck so I shot him and then we went to the other side of our place and shot the other one...

Even though those hogs had always had good clean feed and grain their entire lives and we took great care in preserving the meat and even took them to the local slaughter house right away and told them to season and everything else the smell of it cooking would still run you out of the house :(

Your a tougher guy than me if you can stand to eat full grown, uncut, wild boar meat. If they are cut when young and de-nutted they are fine but if they keep the nads then they are worthless for tablefare...

I have pictures but will have to get the scanner working to post them...
That's some story!
In 1982 I was attending a military school in AL, when I booked a hunt near Crossville, TN over Christmas break. It wasn't much of a hunt and was over in about an hour. I had no knowledge of high fences at the time and the pigs were in a very large enclosure, maybe a mile by a mile, that was located near the Smokey Mountains. The fence had one way gates, so that hogs could enter the property, but couldn't escape, like a giant hog trap.

I think the boar weighed about 150 pounds, so maybe he hadn't taken on the strong odor yet, plus the meat was ground into sausage.

That's some story!
In 1982 I was attending a military school in AL, when I booked a hunt near Crossville, TN over Christmas break. It wasn't much of a hunt and was over in about an hour. I had no knowledge of high fences at the time and the pigs were in a very large enclosure, maybe a mile by a mile, that was located near the Smokey Mountains. The fence had one way gates, so that hogs could enter the property, but couldn't escape, like a giant hog trap.

I think the boar weighed about 150 pounds, so maybe he hadn't taken on the strong odor yet, plus the meat was ground into sausage.

When one has not been cut they take on a real bad taste pretty quickly if they are mature...sausage won't save it... Was your hog cut because some of those places do that in the pens...

On our other property about the center of Cherokee county it is getting extremely dry... Since beginning of July only 2/10's of rain has fallen :(

c2a44b562c609cb09782fd20470a6a54.jpg

4d3e7cdbd5c72d0103ff89aab62950c9.jpg

68a10460efd1de91459c4033ca768c3b.jpg

767b0c1b072084bef5e32fc0fcd5f1d5.jpg

6b8daac9d03078ff63037e6b5e429666.jpg

6b5e64f745a4532a3bab9a6079f9aedc.jpg

3790ddc088d708f749b983211285ba67.jpg

6155038984b579c25c667cebe9854c73.jpg

My waterhole I dug with the fel on my tractor... Then...

64248a45284af24bdac127024fb489e5.jpg

And now...

f5acd42679015a9ecd228b52cc8b3768.jpg

Wow and i was worried about us having a drought here in PA. I am so sorry to see that at your place. We are so vulnerable to mother nature and we have to just roll with the punches she gives us! I hope and Pray it gets better there for you!! Bring on the rain Please!!!

Looks like you should be getting light rain right now. That drought is getting ugly.
Man I hope so! Funny thing is that green is covering my current location but not a drop has fallen! Wonder if it's evaporating before hitting the ground?

Back