which brassica to overseed into soybean?

Hi,
I like the late season draw of brassicas.

I have a field I can hunt that is back in soybeans this year and I plan to overseed with brassicas in certain spots.

My question is what varieties of brassicas have done the best for you with this planting method?

My guess for my area (7b) is that the diakon type radish have provided slightly more growth with this method than the turnip/rape varieties I have tried over the years, but it is almost too close to call because it seems like yearly timing and moisture conditions have made the most difference.

Does anyone have the experience to recommend one brassica variety over another for best production when overseeding into standing soybeans?

The basic varieties I usually use are PTT, DER, and one of the deep rooted diakon type radishes.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Frosted Brassica

Hard, hard, hard to beat dwarf essex rape. Simple, easy to grow, and cheap. And, deer love it!!

I'm a huge fan of DER also. I don't purchase many BOB seeds but if I find a bag of shot plot cheap at the end of the season I will stock up on the stuff. It's a great little blend. But most years I am just overseeding with PTT and DER in my soybeans--along with a cereal grain.

When planting late it is best to focus on green forage producers rather than big tubers. DER and radish are ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I overseeded my beans last year with radish and rye. The radish did fairly well but the rye didn't. I believe my turkey's ate most of the rye seed. This shows the radish popping between the rows....
radish1.JPG

When you overseed into beans, when do you spread the seed? Do you wait until the beans have browned out, or do you do it before then?

When you overseed into beans, when do you spread the seed? Do you wait until the beans have browned out, or do you do it before then?

When the beans start to yellow and just before they actually drop their leaves.

In Wisconsin and other northern locations you may want to do that a little sooner...with an eye on your first frost date. Purple Top Turnips have a 60-90 days to maturity. I would have to plant now to beat a first frost of first week of Oct and beans around here are not turning yellow yet.

I like rape too, but in my experience it's a fall / early winter draw. After a few freezes it rots, my deer eat every bit still, but it's gone. I would mix it with PTT, at least. They still eat all the tops, but come back for the bulbs late season. Radish are good to throw in too. Radish is a little larger seed and doesn't always top seed as well if you don't get big rains, but it seems to be the preferred early season brassica for me.

When the beans start to yellow and just before they actually drop their leaves.

This is how I try to time my seeding as well but it is a tough balance of when they will get light and how much moisture is available. A mild fall is the best hope for brassicas into beans because of the late start, but I still figure it is a relatively cheap way to extend attraction in a few spots when the beans are combined.

Thanks for keeping the conversation going with ideas. Agree that my DER doesn't last as long as my PTT or radish, and the comment on picking varieties for forage over tuber growth when planting late makes sense. I hadn't thought of looking for new varieties based on percent of forage. Thanks.

all good advice - If I wait until the beans are yellow in My area - I don't get any bulbs. So for me I mix PTT and DER and plant them at the ends of my corn and bean plots where I turn the sprayer around. I also plant them separately in a mix with oats/clover around 8/1. If my beans are looking like they will not canopy - I'll sometimes broadcast PTT especially into the open rows. I don't always get good results but when I do I get some use out of a field that would otherwise be barren after the beans were gone.

Back