When to take the scions?

Shufigo

I put an ad in the local paper gossip section asking if anyone had producing persimmon trees. I got lucky and now have access to scion wood off trees that are presently dropping totally mushy persimmons. Sweet as sugar! OK, I now have access to the scions. I already have the young trees needing grafting and know how to do it. My question is, when is the best time to take the scion wood off the trees? I'm thinking too soon runs the risk of having them damaged in the 'fridge. How late is too late? I'm in eastern Virginia and 'green-up' starts the first week of April. What's your recommendation??

I’m in North MS and I always take mine in mid to late Feb. I always seal the ends with wax and wrap in a damp paper towel, place in a zip lock bag and store in the fridge crisper. I’ve had a very high success rate with bark grafting in April after bud break.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I’m in North MS and I always take mine in mid to late Feb. I always seal the ends with wax and wrap in a damp paper towel, place in a zip lock bag and store in the fridge crisper. I’ve had a very high success rate with bark grafting in April after bud break.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
What he said.........:D

OK, sounds like a plan. I've got a block of paraffin coming and three people offering me scion wood. I'll use the time to go scope out the trees and see what differences there are. I'll probably have a lot of wood to share once the persimmon group in this forum starts their winter exchange. Y'all interested in some Virginia scions?

OK, sounds like a plan. I've got a block of paraffin coming and three people offering me scion wood. I'll use the time to go scope out the trees and see what differences there are. I'll probably have a lot of wood to share once the persimmon group in this forum starts their winter exchange. Y'all interested in some Virginia scions?
Yes!!!! Where in VA are you located?

I'm in Williamsburg. Following the advice of the guys posting, I'll be taking the scions late next month. I'll leave it to you to contact me around February 15 to arrange getting the scions to you. Work for you?

Back