Callery Pear Grafting

It looks like one.

You can do two different pears, and if they flower at the same time, they should pollinate each other. Good luck.

I did 3 in the fence row at home this year. All 3 took, so I went ahead and added the bracing early. As these grow I will add more duct tape up higher.

IMG_4015.jpeg

Why duct tape instead of ribbon or something similar? Just curious. I’ll need to add some bracing soon too hopefully.
I use duct tape because it is strong. I’ve seen these scions grow really long in the first year. When they grow long like that you also need to add more tape up higher. I’ve not seen any flagging ribbon that will keep them from breaking in a bad wind storm. I actually prefer gorilla tape over duct tape because of how much tougher it is.

PS - I turn the sticky part away from the scion.

I use duct tape because it is strong. I’ve seen these scions grow really long in the first year. When they grow long like that you also need to add more tape up higher. I’ve not seen any flagging ribbon that will keep them from breaking in a bad wind storm. I actually prefer gorilla tape over duct tape because of how much tougher it is.

PS - I turn the sticky part away from the scion.
Could you post another pic of your support method from a little more distance? I’m not sure where your pics are in here. A link would by fine too. Thanks!

Could you post another pic of your support method from a little more distance? I’m not sure where your pics are in here. A link would by fine too. Thanks!

I found this picture below that might help. It doesn't show the bottom, but I have the cane sticks tightly taped to the tree trunk in two or three different places down there. These cane sticks are around 5 feet long. Down on the trunk, I turn the sticky side toward the trunk, but where I tape up at the scions, I turn the sticky side away from the scions.

In the picture below, I am getting ready to add more tape up higher because of how much the scions have grown since I first taped them.
PS - If you need a better picture than this, let me know, and I will take some more for you.

bracing graft.jpg

I don't have any cane readily available, would small dowel rods or pvc work ok? I'm assuming a little flex would be nice if possible?
Yes, that should work as long as it doesn’t flex too much. Some flex up high is okay, but you want no flex close to the graft union.

Last edited:
Back