What Type of Tree or Shrub

DougG

Had this tree growing in a pot in my garden, it was a volunteer planted by a bird or something. before i caged it, the rabbits ate it down to the ground, but it did come back pretty quick. Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• 20200718_160013_resized.jpg
    20200718_160013_resized.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 1
Yes, @KSQ2 I'd guess an American Elm, although it could be several other species. Not invasive, an ok tree for birds and animals, but not a highly desirable wildlife tree.

Yes, @KSQ2 I'd guess an American Elm, although it could be several other species. Not invasive, an ok tree for birds and animals, but not a highly desirable wildlife tree.
My deer hammer elm.
Its a great tree to hinge cut. I cut it high so ~60% of the tree is out of reach, so the deer can't eat it to death. But the 40% that they can reach gets hammered. And the browsed section tends to re-sprout well. I guess the remaining tree, being out of reach, stays healthy enough to feed the browse line.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here is one elm that I hinged several years ago. It really does need the re-growth hinged again but I kinda like the character of this tree just the way it is.
I have quite a few similar elm that I've hinge cut.
This photo was taken late winter before the leaf out, otherwise, the browsing would show.
5dc2fcd6178813810e5effbebaa305e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back