What Planter to Get

Stevieray

I have been broadcasting all seeds and then run over it with a cultipacker. I want to plant all the various food plot seeds like buck wheat, soybeans, clover, oats, turnips, radish, Austrian winter pea, brassica.
Want to get a seed drill type planter and have been looking at the Firminator, Firmiseeder, Woods FP60, Brillion Food Plot Seeder, Golden ValleyGV60 and Kasco.
I have a 32 hp John Deere and a 5' wide 3 point tiller so seed bed prep is not an issue. That is why I kind of like the Firmiseeder.
What do you use and what would you suggest?

I've been running the same thing through my head for a couple of years. I just bit the bullet and have RDH Outdoors building me one right now. In my area there just hasn't been anything decent in the used category and if it was decent, it was 5k or more. Here's a picture of what he's building me for under 5k and it's the size I want 6' large and small seed boxes.

Attachments

• RDH drill.jpg
    RDH drill.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
I will be planting approximately 5 to 6 acres.

Then I would get the biggest drill your tractor can pull and you can afford. If you plan on planting conventionally (after tillage) a drill will fill all your needs. They aren't made for corn, but you can plant pretty much everything else if you get a drill with a large box and small seed box. I'd stay away from food plot equipment and look at used farming equipment because you will get a lot more bang for your buck.

I can taste one of the 60" models, I want it so bad. I just need to save up a few more dollars.
went through the same agony-- just took delivery on a Woods PSS60- (identical to the FPS60-- mine is the hunting edition, with gang discs, 2 seed boxes, iron cultipacker. I think it will do everything I need- having a local farmer no-till the corn for me.

After having a Kasco versa drill for several years the 2 most important things I would look for are individual closing gates and packing wheels

went through the same agony-- just took delivery on a Woods PSS60- (identical to the FPS60-- mine is the hunting edition, with gang discs, 2 seed boxes, iron cultipacker. I think it will do everything I need- having a local farmer no-till the corn for me.
May I ask what you paid for the PSS60 as I have found a PSS72 Hunting Edition for $7775.00.

The woods pss and fps is far from a drill or anything..its ok for small seeds but will leave oats and soybeans on the surface..i unfortunately know this from experience

The woods pss and fps is far from a drill or anything..its ok for small seeds but will leave oats and soybeans on the surface..i unfortunately know this from experience
we shall see- they claim it will do soybeans-- a no till drill is very expensive-- double to triple the cost

I know they are expensive but man I am glad I bought a Great Plains 706nt. There is no way I could do 20 acres without it. Built like a tank. This can be a lifetime buy so I'd make sure you think through this.

I'd also take a look at lb/ft of the drill. If you have dry, residue or hard soil it came make a big difference. Mine cuts right through corn stubble. We normally bushhog the corn but read how some guys are now skipping this step. I am going to try it this year

I know they are expensive but man I am glad I bought a Great Plains 706nt. There is no way I could do 20 acres without it. Built like a tank. This can be a lifetime buy so I'd make sure you think through this.

I'd also take a look at lb/ft of the drill. If you have dry, residue or hard soil it came make a big difference. Mine cuts right through corn stubble. We normally bushhog the corn but read how some guys are now skipping this step. I am going to try it this year
the Great Plains drill is awesome- even used was way out of my budget. The genesis drill looked promising- but very few in the country, no local support and still much more expensive.

A key thing to look at is how they hold value. Guys are not selling used drills cheap because they loved them. There are a lot of gimmicks out there - this is one piece of equipment you want to get right imo even if it means waiting a little

When I got into food plots, I screwed up big time. I am on my 3rd tractor and have a shed of stuff I hardly use that's valued significantly less than I paid used. If I had to do it over again I'd buy a tractor one size bigger than I think I need. Get all the equipment quick hitch comparable. Buy a bushhog, sprayer(3pt), fert spreader and drill to fit my tractor. If you're doing new plots and removing trees - a disk and cultipacker is nice till the roots rot and you can get your plots flat enough for the drill

Was wondering if you are the Bullwinkle that was on Whitetail World.

Back