Tomato Seeds for New Greenhouse Via Lakngulf

wbpdeer

I looked the sections over and decided this was as good as any.

Got a very nice package from Alabama with four different groups of tomato seeds. Lakngulf is looking out for me. He knows that is the only request my wife made with the new greenhouse - grow her some tomatoes.

Milton I am very grafeful for your help and seeds. Sure hope I can grow them well enough.

Where do I store them right now?

When do I put them in soil?

The low tonight is going to be 19 here - right now is 28 degrees. I just added some emergency heat to the greenhouse. I will go out at 10:30 PM to check how well we are doing on heat management. I have two containers of water: one in the bottom 3 inches of a plastic bucket and a bottle of water.

I have a thermometer at 4 1/2 feet high on the center post.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Glad the package arrived in good shape. Put them in the frig for now. More later!
I just had a tomato sandwich for lunch. Late crop of tomatoes have been amazing, but we get low 20s tonight, so I picked a lot of green ones.

This is the best I can do for December 9. Fresh tomato sandwiches just taste better at Christmas time

xCFbFvV.jpg

Wayne, I processed my first batch of little tomato seedlings recently and took a few pics along the way. In no way am I suggesting you should be at this stage, because (a) you are further north than I and (b) these seedlings are way too early for me.

(1) As I mentioned before, I grow the seedlings in some rootmaker flats that I had used for the sawtooth acorns back in 2012. I plant one or more seeds in each compartment. Sometimes I want to know my true germination rate so I plant just one seed per, but most of the time I just drop two or three. I let them grow until they reach the second or three sets of leaves. I like for the plant to have a little height and some sturdiness before I transplant to a peat pot.
The picture below shows the batch I worked with yesterday. These seeds were planted on January 13, about three weeks growth.

1LUk6J9.jpg

(2) I transplant the seedlings to three inch peat pots, and use either Miracle Gro Potting Soil, or some rich soil from the farm.

riNXfEW.jpg

(3) Other types of pots work just as well.

iNP1QQX.jpg

(4) I like to keep as much soil around the seedling root as possible

h3DGssO.jpg

(5) I place the seedling deep into the pot so that just the leaves are showing. This will allow the plant to develop a larger root system.
I was fortunate to find some plastic trays at a going out of business store. I think these were used for 2 liter cokes, or milk, but they hold the peat pots perfectly!

6YTCgcC.jpg

They go back under the grow lights this time of the year, and may need some heater help when temps drop like they did here last night.

Good Luck with your seeds. I will try to update my process as I go along

Lak

The photos and explanation helps greatly. I think I will stick my seeds in growing media on Feb 20th (President's Day). If I can get them growing well I will move them to the greenhouse right fast.

My first attempt and you are my model. I imagine I will use alternative pots from the Garden Center.

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Last edited:
My niece lives in Nashville Tn. During the fourth she and her husband visited my Mother and took home some heirloom tomatoes.
Today she sends me this picture from a market nearby, heirloom tomatoes for $4 pound. I noticed the vendor is from Portland Tn. I think wbpdeer has a side business he is holding out on us
8494.jpeg

My niece lives in Nashville Tn. During the fourth she and her husband visited my Mother and took home some heirloom tomatoes.
Today she sends me this picture from a market nearby, heirloom tomatoes for $4 pound. I noticed the vendor is from Portland Tn. I think wbpdeer has a side business he is holding out on us
View attachment 8249

I heard he had a meeting with the Russians after the seed package arrived, so anything is possible.

Back