To pee or not to pee from the stand ???

Do you pee from the stand ?

• Never, I wait until I am a great distance from my stand

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Never, I pee in a bottle and carry it away with me.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • It doesnt matter I let it rip anytime I feel the urge

Votes: 44 77.2%
  • I wait until a doe is close under me and pee on her.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Have never seen a negative deer reaction to peeing in scrapes or off the stand. Have had them come in directly down wind following the scent though.

I start my mock scrapes with buck urine, but I pee in them every time I have to go and I am in the generally proximity.

An Outfitter who is seriously into scent control told me and a ton of others hunters not to bat an eye about where you urinate, but to be careful
with the other scents that you may leave behind as you do it.

I have a scrape that I just started for this year. I do it every year in the fall when I pull my pictures or go to the stand. If I can get the videos uploaded, I will post them. I have deer, coyotes, and otters using it. Pretty neat to see what all uses it on a daily basis. This year I had to break a limb to hangover it since the tree has grown the last couple of years

I just peed out of the stand 20 minutes ago and have seen 5 deer in the last 10 minutes. One doe came to within 15 yards smelling to check it out!
This is the reason I do not piss out of my stands. I do not want curious deer below me because when they are checking that out they are also checking out your specific area you are at or were and they can bust you easily or get enough of your residual body odors and boot odor from around your stand to put 2 and 2 together.

I do not think urine in itself is anything more than a curiosity but I want them curious 20+ yards away...

This is the reason I do not piss out of my stands. I do not want curious deer below me because when they are checking that out they are also checking out your specific area you are at or were and they can bust you easily or get enough of your residual body odors and boot odor from around your stand to put 2 and 2 together.

I do not think urine in itself is anything more than a curiosity but I want them curious 20+ yards away...
We were eye locked for a good 30 seconds. Funny thing is i pissed in a bottle Monday then read this thread that night and said the heck with it this morning and let it fly.

Reminds me of a funny story. It's gross so quit reading if you're excessively prissy and formal.

When I remarried five years ago, my new bride was enthused to hunt, so it was woodsmanship 101, and she is a natural. One of the last days of her first season on a cold December day, we get out of the truck, and she was being quiet as taught, etc. It was about a 75 yard walk to the stand. All of a sudden, I've got to number two. And it cannnnnnnnnooooot wait. So I go about twenty yards away from her while she continues to put on her scentfree washed gear and boots, etc, by the truck. She's outside changing in the dark.

My number two was a little louder than I would've liked. When I come back over to the truck, I whisper, "could you hear me over here?"

She couldn't answer because she's laughing hysterically at a whisper level. When she finally can whisper words rather than laughter, she said, "Could I hear you???? It sounded like a string of firecrackers going off. Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop!"

We still laugh at that.

We didn't see any deer that morning. Duh, right?

Piss is ammonia, and smells that way. It doesn't smell like a human and it has been proven in studies, along with 40 years of observation to not bother deer. I still want to know, who pisses on the deer?

Actually urine is a lot more than ammonia. Indeed it can contain a lot of odors and tastes of various things in a human body including meds, foods, various health issues, etc. So a deer can concievably recognize it as a danger, just as they could predator urine. How they react is varied to any of those.
In ancient times, slaves were used to taste urine to determine certain heath issues such as diabetes. I'm sure most have noticed their own urine having stronger odor or different colors at times, dependant on your diet or health or fluid intake.
An example would be my dog in a strange place. She sniffs every pee mark until after a couple days, passes by them more readily as known pee. She also can smell a urine mark and back away as she recognizes it as a threat, either from dominance, or a possible predator. Predators, especially wolves and yotes, will mark a particular rock on a regular basis to mark their territory and/or dominance. Excellent place for a trap.
But for whatever reason, I've seldom seen a negative response from human urine. But I have seen it happen rarely.
What a piss poor discussion!:)

My son gave me a really nice ground blind that I have set up with a view of about 2-3 acres of hardwoods.
I ain't peed in it or out of it.........................yet o_O

I take a high dose of diuretics so I have to pee a LOT. I might try for a pee jar, but in general I just open the door of the stand and let go. I really try not to drink too much before I hunt, but other meds I take dry out my mouth. When I gotta go, I gotta go and I mean right now!

I take a high dose of diuretics so I have to pee a LOT. I might try for a pee jar, but in general I just open the door of the stand and let go. I really try not to drink too much before I hunt, but other meds I take dry out my mouth. When I gotta go, I gotta go and I mean right now!
A friend drilled a hole in his box blind in a corner and put a 1"-1.5" piece of pvc in that runs down the post, into a bucket turned upside down and buried in the ground. Put a funnel in the pipe to pee in and keep some water to wash it down to control odor in the blind.

It does matter because I've had a few does catch me in the act and freak out. Nothing makes ya feel more dumb than being midstream while listening to deer blow.

The scent doesn't spook them in my experience.

It does matter because I've had a few does catch me in the act and freak out. Nothing makes ya feel more dumb than being midstream while listening to deer blow.

The scent doesn't spook them in my experience.
I hate to ask…. but why did they freak out????:) Or are you the one peeing on the doe?

DocHolladay, I really like the idea of having a urinal that runs into a mini septic system in your blind. It sounds simple enough and would work good for my situation. I don't know if I will have time to put in a system like that in any of my blinds this year, but it will be on the books for next season. I will probably have to practice my aim.

Back