Throw n Mow question

Jeff H

My typical TnM plan was to spray, wait two weeks then seed, fertilize and mow dead vegetation. This year I've gotten myself in a serious time crunch with family/travel issues. I'm wondering if anyone has seeded and fertilized into green vegetation, then sprayed and mowed, or mowed then sprayed all in the same day.
My existing vegetation is not terribly thick or tall except in a few spots.

I’ve done it all the time, it depends on the height and volume of existing vegetation and type but most times this works just fine. What is critical is the type of see you throw down and forthcoming rain. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sprayed and broadcasted on the same day, and did it without mowing at all. Same results as I had with mowing. I've now done this several times in side by side test that showed standing thatch is as good as mowed thatch for success. I still mow when I can but dont fret when I can't. A good rain or two helps greatly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'm thinking with the two tropical storms that are expected to hit our southern coast this next week that I'll get a few days of rain out of it in the days following. I do think I'll wait until the forecast shows more but my time is short this year. I can't imagine doing this for a living, it's gut wrenching enough as a hobby!

Thanks guys. I'm thinking with the two tropical storms that are expected to hit our southern coast this next week that I'll get a few days of rain out of it in the days following. I do think I'll wait until the forecast shows more but my time is short this year. I can't imagine doing this for a living, it's gut wrenching enough as a hobby!

My thoughts exactly. If these storms look like they’ll dump sufficient rain in western NC I’ll try to get up there 24-48 hours ahead of the rain. My plan is similar to yours: spray/broadcast seed and let Mother Nature handle the rest.

My thoughts exactly. If these storms look like they’ll dump sufficient rain in western NC I’ll try to get up there 24-48 hours ahead of the rain. My plan is similar to yours: spray/broadcast seed and let Mother Nature handle the rest.

Is there any talk in NC about the trajectory yet?

Is there any talk in NC about the trajectory yet?

Too early for anything conclusive. Looks like an AL/FL landfall which could bring moisture our way but you never know. The location and intensity of the high pressure systems control steering.

Too early for anything conclusive. Looks like an AL/FL landfall which could bring moisture our way but you never know. The location and intensity of the high pressure systems control steering.

Same here but in Missouri we don't get as much news coverage as you guys on the coast. It feels kind of weird to be hopeful of rain here that can bring so much devastation to others.

Last edited:
Another variation on TnM.......

I dont spray at all

Most of my "weeds" ( common ragweed,giant ragweed,goat weed,thistle) are broadleaf and at the end of their growing cycle in late september/early october when i broadcast see
I then mow after broadcast and follow with cultipacker

bill

Back