This years seedlings

mattpatt

Just thought I’d post a pic of what I have growing in my root pouches this year which isn’t very much. Finally moved them outside the cage. The red planter behind them is where I grow my chestnuts. From left to right. First two rows are Concordia Oaks. There is a Sleeping Giant Chestnut mixed in there as I had a squirrel steal one of the oaks and I replaced it with a chestnut. Next row are Dwarf Chinkapin Oak which aren’t doing too well and the last two rows are the good ole standby Sawtooth Oak. They seem to grow when not much else will. Need to get some Osmocote and see if the DCO will start growing and perk up.

Matt

75f7e208bae1a5509134b8d003c9543e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never had luck growing DCOs (or regular chinkapins) from acorns. I assumed it was my medium wasn’t right or something, but they are always pathetic. Conversely the swamp whites I grow shoot up and grow like crazy, in the same soil and same containers.

It’s their nature to grow really slow the first two or three years (both dwarf and standard chinkapin). Swamp whites have a ton of energy stored in their acorns so they grow rapidly to start.

I don’t recall having issue with DCO before until this year. These are down right pathetic. On a positive note these are ALL mine. Meaning the nuts came from my trees and I didn’t have to beg anyone for nuts. Feels great to know you can grow your own. Same with the Concordia. The Sawtooth would be there too if I had planted a couple in my yard but I planted all those down where we hunt and they are taking forever to start producing good for whatever reason. And what they do produce gets gobbled up very quickly by all the animals before I can get down there and get any for myself.

Matt

This is my 6th year growing baby trees in containers

In Texas: water them,water them , and then water them some more.....

bill

This is my 6th year growing baby trees in containers

In Texas: water them,water them , and then water them some more.....

bill

I don’t have those setup this way but one of the easiest ways I found to water trees grown in root pouches is to place them in a small kids plastic swimming pool like you can find at the dollar store. It helps control the weeds from growing up around the bags and instead of having to water each bag just add water to the pool and let it soak up through the bottom of the bags.

Matt

Nice! Just a few more than me!

We’re just messing around planting acorns with the kids.

We moved 50 trees into the one gallon RootMaker pots a few weeks ago. Do you think they’d do ok in those until fall 2022?

We’re just messing around planting acorns with the kids.

We moved 50 trees into the one gallon RootMaker pots a few weeks ago. Do you think they’d do ok in those until fall 2022?

In my opinion I don’t think they would do very well saying another year and a half basically in those pots. They will outgrow them this summer. If it were me, I’d upsize them to the next size container when they go dormant this fall and hope for the best.

Matt

In my opinion I don’t think they would do very well saying another year and a half basically in those pots. They will outgrow them this summer. If it were me, I’d upsize them to the next size container when they go dormant this fall and hope for the best.

Matt
This. Guys who grow chestnuts commercially use 1 gallons for year 1, and 3 gallon size for year 2. I have some 1 year olds in 3 gallon root maker pots and root maker bags. I think the bagged trees are doing slightly better, but that's not scienfitic. The bags are cheaper, and take up less space. They're also white on the outside, so probably don't dry out as fast. I did spray my 3 gallon pots white, with some old spray paint i found in the basement.

This. Guys who grow chestnuts commercially use 1 gallons for year 1, and 3 gallon size for year 2. I have some 1 year olds in 3 gallon root maker pots and root maker bags. I think the bagged trees are doing slightly better, but that's not scienfitic. The bags are cheaper, and take up less space. They're also white on the outside, so probably don't dry out as fast. I did spray my 3 gallon pots white, with some old spray paint i found in the basement.

That’s what I would do if I were using rootmakers again. Start out in RM18s then go to 1 gallon bags for the remainder of year one. Finally upgrade to 3 gallon bags year two. Plant winter of year two.

Back