concordia oak

Does anyone know if the MDC will have Concordia oaks this season? Im also looking for any other hybrid oak species available that is a fast growing producer. Concordia oak is a mix of Swamp white,chinkapin and dwarf chinkapin I believe,correct me if Im wrong.

Letemgrow used to be the go to guy on Concordia Oak. I know that the town of Concordia, MO used to sell seedlings and acorns.

Gotcha I wasn't sure letemgrow was on this forum or not,I just haven't paid that much attention.Either way,I need more Concordia oaks this fall or at least some good acorns.When my trees are producing,I will supply others as I will have a plenty..

I had acorns but they were shed due to drought. Concordia is a rare tree, so acorns are in short supply.

I'm wondering if they can be propagated via grafting? I may collect to scion wood this winter and give it a try. I have plenty of Bur oak I could use as root stock.

Matt

I'm wondering if they can be propagated via grafting? I may collect to scion wood this winter and give it a try. I have plenty of Bur oak I could use as root stock.

Matt

Matt, I am going to show my lack of experience. But I think you would get scion wood off of a concordia oak and graft it to a bur oak root stock. As it goes forward you would prune any growth that shows below the graft on the burr root stock.

What month would be best for this attempt?

Thanks

You collect the wood in December\January and graft when the wood on the rootstock starts '"slipping" in the spring.

Matt

Jon's the guys to get acorns from if any r to be had.

Don't see why grafting would not work for those trees. I put a possible Jackiana hybrid on a swamp white oak rootstock and it looks great.

I planted about 100 Concordia seedlings on my place in the last two springs. They are doing great but, no nuts yet. Hope to have some acorns to share soon.

Jon's the guys to get acorns from if any r to be had.

About 4 years ago I contacted Jon Peterson in Concordia MO (he is a very nice older gentleman who operates an auto repair business - at least he did at that time); his family was linked to the original concordia oak tree in some way (may have been his father?). At any rate, I sent him around $20 to send me 30-40 acorns which he did. Unfortunately, they were all so dry that none germinated. I am sure Mr. Peterson did not intend to stiff me; I suspect he doesn't understand the importance of keeping acorns moist and cool. Since the name John/Jon Peterson has been mentioned repeatedly on this thread it appears some may want to contact him - or other persons in Concordia Mo - to get acorns. The sole purpose of this post is to encourage anyone who makes contact with folks in Concordia ... explain the importance of collecting fresh acorns and make sure they keep them moist and cool before they ship them to you. Good luck.

Back