Allegheny chinquapin , DCO, Concordia oak seeds wanted

Yoder deserves much praise, although doesn't seem the type to seek it. Much appreciated sir. I guess I need to start a land "tour" thread soon and update my Yoder sent ACP progress.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Yoder deserves much praise, although doesn't seem the type to seek it. Much appreciated sir. I guess I need to start a land "tour" thread soon and update my Yoder sent ACP progress.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
When I help folks and ask them to pay it forward, I'm just paying forward the help others have provided for me. As for your tour thread, I'm sure we would all love to see the progress. We all learn from each other.

When I help folks and ask them to pay it forward, I'm just paying forward the help others have provided for me. As for your tour thread, I'm sure we would all love to see the progress. We all learn from each other.
I’ve decided to direct seed just about all of the nuts you sent. It’s hot and dry here right now. How long would you recommend waiting to get them set out?

I’ve decided to direct seed just about all of the nuts you sent. It’s hot and dry here right now. How long would you recommend waiting to get them set out?
From my perspective, the longer they are out, before they start growing, the higher the risk of predation. I'm going to direct seed as well. I plan to wait till spring. The balance is that the longer they are exposed to moisture, the greater the chance of mold. I plan to take a couple bags and put damp sphagnum in this month and put them back in the crisper. This should allow maximum rood growth but risk mold. Other bags, I'll just leave in the crisper until near spring and then add the damp sphagnum.

I plan to just use tree tubes to protect them when I plant.

I know some guys that seed them in the fall and use hardware cloth to protect them from rodents. All of these methods have risks. I haven't done much direct seeding because of it. I always started mine indoors under lights in 18s and then transplanted to 1 gal RB2s before moving then to my deck. I'd keep them one growing season, over winter them in a cold room and plant them the following spring.

I got rid of all my growing stuff and containers as I'm too old to benefit from more trees. Since ACs produce so quickly, I'll just try direct seeding them.

I know there are other guy that mostly direct seed. They may be able to provide better guidance.

From my perspective, the longer they are out, before they start growing, the higher the risk of predation. I'm going to direct seed as well. I plan to wait till spring. The balance is that the longer they are exposed to moisture, the greater the chance of mold. I plan to take a couple bags and put damp sphagnum in this month and put them back in the crisper. This should allow maximum rood growth but risk mold. Other bags, I'll just leave in the crisper until near spring and then add the damp sphagnum.

I plan to just use tree tubes to protect them when I plant.

I know some guys that seed them in the fall and use hardware cloth to protect them from rodents. All of these methods have risks. I haven't done much direct seeding because of it. I always started mine indoors under lights in 18s and then transplanted to 1 gal RB2s before moving then to my deck. I'd keep them one growing season, over winter them in a cold room and plant them the following spring.

I got rid of all my growing stuff and containers as I'm too old to benefit from more trees. Since ACs produce so quickly, I'll just try direct seeding them.

I know there are other guy that mostly direct seed. They may be able to provide better guidance.
I’m not worried about predation at all. I have 18” tubes that are over a half inch thick to put them in. I used 60 of these tubes to put sawtooth acorns from Catscratch in a couple years ago and not one nut was robbed.
Here’s an old pic from our property tour
IMG_2415.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Yoder,

I'm not sure if it's too late, but do you have any ACs left? I just found this site and came across the post :/

I’m not worried about predation at all. I have 18” tubes that are over a half inch thick to put them in. I used 60 of these tubes to put sawtooth acorns from Catscratch in a couple years ago and not one nut was robbed.
Here’s an old pic from our property tour
View attachment 26208

Where did you get the tubes? These look like they would be perfect to help protect the new trees I want to get established on my property.

Where did you get the tubes? These look like they would be perfect to help protect the new trees I want to get established on my property.

A buddy gave them to me, I don’t think anything like them is available on the market.

Hello Yoder,

I'm not sure if it's too late, but do you have any ACs left? I just found this site and came across the post :/
Yes, but archery season is upon us. Not sure when I can get them out, but PM me your address and how many you want.

I found something interesting today. I had extra ACs one year back when I was growing trees from rootmakers so I planted a few in the back yard. Those are the ones you see pictured earlier in the thread. I've always had the burs on ACs at my farm open in early September and nuts were gone by mid-September. Back when I was growing trees, I pretty much eliminated the squirrel population from our part of the neighborhood, so there were plenty of nuts when I was gathering them in September.

Well, we are into the last half of October now. I was out mowing the lawn today and drove past the trees and noticed something:

713875b8-8ec9-4f15-a4e0-5dfc6d1021b5.jpg

High in the tree, beyond easy reach for me, I saw some burs still holding nuts.

I'm not sure if it is the individual tree that is holding them late, or the micro-climate of my back yard, or simply that in the wild, the nuts are predated so fast that they don't last past mid-September in most cases.

Do others have ACs that hold this late?

Back