Allegheny chinquapin , DCO, Concordia oak seeds wanted

If you still need ACs, PM me with your address. I saw a thread where Blitz was selling DCOs, but I think they are now sold out. Hopefully you got some.

Back when I was growing trees from seed in root pruning containers, I had more ACs than I had time to plant and protect at the farm. I ended up planting a bunch of them in the back yard. In full sun, they are producing like gang busters:

1a50214f-4928-4140-bfa4-9833a7ca1694.jpg

(The pic is from spring)

I collected a couple hundred nuts today. They are in the early phase of opening right now. I'm leaving tomorrow for the rest of the week. I'm hoping they squirrels have not eliminated the rest by the time I get back.

I tried direct seeding nuts at our retirement property last fall but got nothing. I did nothing to protect them. I sold all my rootmaker stuff and tore down my indoor growing areas in preparation for our retirement move. I think I'll keep them in the fridge over the winter. I know they don't need cold stratified, but I presume the fridge will slow down germination. We had rain the past few days and I found one still in the husk that had already started a root radicle.

I think I'll try to direct seed them in spring and try to protect them this time. I know my neighbors at the retirement property will want some.

If you still need ACs, PM me with your address. I saw a thread where Blitz was selling DCOs, but I think they are now sold out. Hopefully you got some.

Back when I was growing trees from seed in root pruning containers, I had more ACs than I had time to plant and protect at the farm. I ended up planting a bunch of them in the back yard. In full sun, they are producing like gang busters:

(The pic is from spring)

I collected a couple hundred nuts today. They are in the early phase of opening right now. I'm leaving tomorrow for the rest of the week. I'm hoping they squirrels have not eliminated the rest by the time I get back.

I tried direct seeding nuts at our retirement property last fall but got nothing. I did nothing to protect them. I sold all my rootmaker stuff and tore down my indoor growing areas in preparation for our retirement move. I think I'll keep them in the fridge over the winter. I know they don't need cold stratified, but I presume the fridge will slow down germination. We had rain the past few days and I found one still in the husk that had already started a root radicle.

I think I'll try to direct seed them in spring and try to protect them this time. I know my neighbors at the retirement property will want some.
I would LOVE to have a few of those myself!!
Did you grow them just like your chestnut trees?

I would LOVE to have a few of those myself!!
Did you grow them just like your chestnut trees?
Yes, very similar. They don't need to be cold stratified and they are smaller than chestnuts, so they are a little easier. With chestnuts, I had to get the timing right. If I did not cold stratify enough, germination rates dropped. If I cold stratified too long, I got better germination rates, but they were not quite ready to transfer into 1 gal RB2s when our last threat of frost passed. This may be unique to my location. Longer or shorter winters would change things. Also, I found that the cold stratification period increases the chances mold will grow and spread between nuts.

With ACs, no cold stratification is needed. I would put them in the fridge crisper in baggies just like chestnuts. The purpose was just to slow them down a bit. Usually by Dec my freezer is full of venison, so I would then take them out and start them under lights. The would fill the 18s with roots about the time our last threat of frost passed and I'd transplant them to 1 gal RB2s and acclimate them to my deck. Because the nuts are free to me with ACs growing natively on the farm, I would field plant most of them when dormant directly from 1 gal RB2s.

With that very long 1st growing season, they were ready to transplant at the end of that growing season when they went dormant. I generally planted them with no protection to keep the cost down. Some would get hit by deer, but most would be fine.

If you want nuts, just PM me with your address.

If you don't have the growing setup like I did, you could always direct seed them.

Just one note. Most of my ACs seem to take a bush form. I don't know if it is the particular strain or if it is blight or something that they are responding to. Native Hunter's ACs seem to take more of a tree like form.

(The pic is from spring)

Hello Jack,

I would like 20 to 25 AC if you can spare them. My AC tree didn't produce any mature nuts this time. I will gladly pay for these.
Thanks

Wayne Pruett
1204 S. Russell Street
Portland, TN 37148

Given all the help you've given folks, you are on the top of my list! I'm hoping to send them out sometime next week. If folks don't hear something from me by Friday 9/22, don't hesitate to remind me!

Got home from the farm today and collected more nuts. I set aside enough nuts for all the existing requests including more that folks ask for to cover duds. I hope to get them send next week. I'll let you know when they go out.

I picked more nuts this morning. I'd say about 1/2 of the burs have opened far enough to extract nuts easily. I also got a chance to send out nuts to those who requested them. All shipments have estimated delivery dates of 9/18 through USPS.

I had these in the fridge crisper over night, but I did notice that some nuts had root radicles starting. Some were even starting in the burr.

Good luck with the nuts!

I PMed tracking numbers to all who asked for nuts.

yoderjac,

I received my AC in the mail yesterday. Excellent condition - thanks. I would feel better if I sent you some $$ for your trouble.

Looking forward to growing these. Thanks Again - Happy in Portland TN.

wbpdeer

yoderjac,

I received my AC in the mail yesterday. Excellent condition - thanks. I would feel better if I sent you some $$ for your trouble.

Looking forward to growing these. Thanks Again - Happy in Portland TN.

wbpdeer
I'd say just pay it forward, but in your case, you've already done that 100 times over! :)

I received 2 more requests for nuts. I'm hoping to get them shipped next week. If there is anyone else that needs them, please respond by Monday so I can make one trip to the post office.

I had a dentist appointment near our retirement property so I stayed there last Sunday night and scheduled the new COVID shot ahead of the dentist appointment. I headed home after that and got about 3/4 of the way there when I got a call from my wife that she tested positive for COVID. I stopped at the grocery store and got her food and supplies for the week, dropped them off at the house and headed back to the retirement property for the week to isolate from her.

I had one bad night of muscle aches, but that was expected with the shot. I had no symptoms, so I dodged COVID this time.

So, I had not picked any nuts for a week. I expected they would all be gone when I got back, but to my pleasant surprise, 90% of them were completely open with nuts easy to access. I picked more nuts today in one picking than I did in all my other pickings combined.

I got the 3 additional request mailed today. I will PM tracking numbers when I get a chance.

I got one more request from @livinadream today. It may be a while till I can get to the post office again as I'll be getting ready for youth weekend, doing a prescribed burn (weather depending), and continuing work on the diesel tank setup this week.

Folks,

I found a small post office on the way to the retirement property today and dropped off the last two boxes of requested nuts. I PMed tracking numbers. I've received several PMs asking how to pay me. I'll answer it here rather than sending PMs to everyone.

Pay it forward. When the next guy needs habitat help, and you have the means to help them, do so!

Folks,

I found a small post office on the way to the retirement property today and dropped off the last two boxes of requested nuts. I PMed tracking numbers. I've received several PMs asking how to pay me. I'll answer it here rather than sending PMs to everyone.

Pay it forward. When the next guy needs habitat help, and you have the means to help them, do so!
You are a good steward of the land.

Back