The Right 15

Stopped out at the property yesterday to refill my cell camera. All this rain has got the rye and the yellow rocket skyrocketing! I wasn't out there that long ago and it was just sprouting. Needs a mow soon I assume?

b1a9da6a88f2de93fc6d006b99769a0b.jpg

Frost seeded clover and chicory are popping. Nothing crazy/not as much as I thought but maybe they take more time to fill in or turkeys got in there.

2bd14c735bf084d064da647e53f443ad.jpg

863ac626ce36942b7f529d03912e2b73.jpg

My apple trees look to be doing good all except 1. Not looking too hot...

62427d3533b7a9dafbac5f7196bdf0a0.jpg

59ae4b5457e7022011c9b463191dea92.jpg

a49d7e271e0aa8687e7939ea9868e6f3.jpg

Pretty cool picture with the rye and YR. Thanks for reading!

038ee63ba311a8006a5ec75933b0aa3a.jpg

Yep. Got some mowing done last month. Plot vegetation is about 8-12” tall so it was spraying time. Ended up getting this sprayer from rural king mismarked at $60. What took 3 hours backpack spraying took 30 mins. Wow this is sweet.

05793a8f58b1bec556cf8bb50058423e.png

Mowed some clover/grass down yet again and will see how it goes.

bf74e813800173b595b1d367404ceaa0.jpg

A busch light selfie for Weasel & buckhunter10!

b98891336f559e2a747229b635fef62b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

9c693e9df72e26e3a17566862c7eddbf.jpg

This is a pic from my buddy Phil’s no till Plot. I am trying this method where I just sprayed. Mow, spray, broadcast.

This lady is a regular here. Not sure she’s doing me any good. Wondering if she could be keeping others away?

a76a3c3b6ee6791d7c70a6ee9d3b9997.jpg

Got a buck hanging out periodically. Normally I don’t see anything older than 1.5 until late October. Maybe all this Work is helping?

0e1461c9bbd67e9a154bada4734ae601.jpg

Still have lots and lots to do. Build and put up a blind. Plant Fall plots, check stands, hang new stands, dial in new bow site....jeez!

stuff is looking great man!

We have a ton of rain in the forecast this week and next. I only can get to the farm this weekend and I will be broadcasting seed rain or no rain and hoping for the best! We will see how that works out!

Update guys! This Fall has been busy and finally got to hunt my 15 this past weekend. The plots all came in nice and are mowed down.

Nov 1 AM - Saw 5 doe and 3 young bucks. There was a 4 point bumping some does around even! They liked the crabapple tree which is directly below my blind. I hunted the pine tree stand on the S side of the main plot, closest to my car.
PM - Rain moved in so I sat the blind. Had a spike move early, then nothing til right before dark. Then the deer parade started. Is was nasty, rain, wind and they just came pouring out on the N side plot. Lots of does and some more little bucks. Maybe 10-12 deer that night, 4 little bucks.

Nov 2 AM - Back in the stand from the previous AM. Very similar...cold, does moving early and 2 small bucks coming back E to W to bed, later in the morning.
PM - I decided to get back in my timber sanctuary as thats where all the deer were and I wanted to catch a big boy earlier before dark. Climbed a tree in my climber and had a button buck step out of a tree top on the ground. He was bedded right in it! After that I had 3-4 does/fawns coming in from the swamp and from the N. All milling around, browsing, heading towards the destination plot. About 5:15 I heard some water splash in the swamp and saw my shooter get out of his bed and move off into swamp away from me. Wow was he cooling looking. I thought OK, we're in the game now. 2 more little bucks came out of the swamp and were sparring while standing in some flooded timber...what a sight. Well an hour later a hot doe ruined it for me. I figured he would follow those does to the plot right by me....but a hot doe came from the plot with a young buck chasing. They ran all over making lots of noise and he was grunting like crazy. 2-3 other bucks joined her and off they go into the swamp. The shooter stood up, jumped out of his bed and ran directly after the party, right out of my life and off into that huge swamp to the west! That about wrapped up that night.

Nov 3 pm - Slow. One doe in the back woods by where all of those bucks came out of the swamp. I climbed in a nest of trees back there next to my 2nd blind, and it was a killer spot! The deer just didnt show. I thought for sure I was going to kill that night.

Nov 4 pm....I got access from my neighbor to come in from the N, as the wind was out of the S for the first time in 3 days. I snuck in with my lone wold mobile setup and sat over 3 fresh scrapes, in a thick transition/funnel. It was Nasty out again!!! but saw 2 doe in the southern plot and had 2 doe come right under me as planned. This setup will be killer in the future and is my only setup for a southerly wind.

Bucks just weren't after the does all weekend except for that one doe. Im hoping its still early here. Back to work for a week then off in the timber again!

Sounds like you're in for some good action once they really get to chasing hard!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Pine! I hunted some the next weekend as well. Had some more small buck encounters, but havent seen a shooter on his feet since the 2nd. Most pics are nocturnal of the older deer. Very weird rut this year like it was on off, on off, etc. Havent hunted at all during gun season yet but my neighbors have been. Sneaking out tomorrow night!!!!! Gonna be cold!

Hope everyone else is seeing good movement! Thanks for reading.

Hunted last night in the snow and cold. A little more wind than what was projected, and I didn't see a deer.

One thing I realized is that I need more food and more cover. Now that everything is baron, you can see way too far. My whole back woods that was logged, well the understory isnt coming up that great yet. You can see all the way across it, but the tree tops on the ground do break it up some. There is a ton of water back there right now so I am wondering if that has anything to do with the understory not growing up that great yet? That or too much canopy still. I am also unsure on which trees to hinge, as I do not want to make a mistake, but it needs to be done.

When was your logging completed? I’ve noticed on my place it’s pretty bare years 1 and 2 although deer are bedding in some 2 year old cuts. By year 3 it’s very thick and provides sufficient bedding cover. 4 and beyond it’s excellent security cover.

I’m planning to add some Norway spruce and other evergreen clumps to my newer cuts this spring. They should provide a more permanent security cover solution. Even years from now when the hardwoods are mature.

Good luck, looks cold!

When was your logging completed? I’ve noticed on my place it’s pretty bare years 1 and 2 although deer are bedding in some 2 year old cuts. By year 3 it’s very thick and provides sufficient bedding cover. 4 and beyond it’s excellent security cover.

I’m planning to add some Norway spruce and other evergreen clumps to my newer cuts this spring. They should provide a more permanent security cover solution. Even years from now when the hardwoods are mature.

Good luck, looks cold!

Thanks Weekender! Completed Fall 2016. Two years now so good to know. Summer time you can’t even walk back on there but now it’s much more open.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat. Our early successional growth is head high and provides excellent cover through October. Things look much different now!

Fall/winter security cover is a big priority for me right now. It’s hard to address from 4600 miles away but I’m chipping away at it. If you want to check out our property tour, its called Kaleo Hills.

Back