The Massey

Had a hopefully soon productive morning at the Massey. We got a half inch of rain there this morning, which was a nice surprise. Need a lot more, but we’ll take it. There is a decent chance for rain this weekend, so I went ahead and got the brassicas in. Dawna was off today too, so she lent a hand.
First time in a long time I’ve been able to disk without wearing a dust mask, that was very nice!
IMG_9016.jpeg
IMG_9007.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg
The “perineal plot” has a little clover and chicory in it, the poor chicory that has actually survived the drought gets hit mercilessly.
IMG_0401.jpeg
IMG_0400.jpeg
The deer aren’t the only ones enjoying the bindweed areas, the dung beetles are having a “ball” as well. Lol
IMG_0407.jpeg
The pumpkins looked to be enjoying the 1/2” rain
IMG_0405.jpeg
As dry as it has gotten lately, we still haven’t seen beans like this in 4 years!! Which is SO nice.
IMG_0406.jpeg
One of Catscratch’s acorns. This tree has just done well to survive the last 3 years. Hopefully a lot of watering work will finally pay off one day. I haven’t had to water it once yet this year.
IMG_0404.jpeg
One last pic before we headed out, will this be our first successful brassica plot since 2020?? I have some hopes for the first time in a while.IMG_0408.jpeg

Went and mowed what used to be a plot on a permission farm. I plan to spray in about a month and hopefully throw and mow the first of October, if the rain cooperates. This is a little over a third of an acre.
IMG_0411.jpeg
The other half won’t get sprayed or much TLC it will be t&m’d to straight wr. The grand total will be a little under an acre.
IMG_0412.jpeg
Here’s another look at a couple from another permission spot. The wide 10 should be easy to spot for multiple reasons.
08060460.jpeg
Another closeup of him
08060463.jpeg
These two look almost like twins, both are pretty tall and narrow, it took me a while to realize they weren’t the same deer. They are also quite a bit different body sized; you’ll just have to take my word for it on that. Can you see the differences??
08060471.jpeg
08060468.jpeg

Dawna and I got a new toy for each other as an early anniversary present. I think we’re gonna enjoy this! Have a window mount and a phone mount coming too. Hoping to have some much better photos to share from the barn in the future.
IMG_0418.jpeg

This 6, who we know quite well, was about 230 yards out. Dawna has much steadier hands than me and took the pic through the scope. It showed us how much we need the phone mount though, every little movement would throw the phone out of focus again.
IMG_9025.jpeg

If we don’t get anymore out of these “days of significant rain chances”, I’m afraid the brassica plot is doomed. The “perfect storm” of very little rainfall followed by sun and wind. Just wonderful….

Well the rains finally came this morning, we got about an inch. Hallelujah! Should be enough to not only get the brassicas going, but keep them going for a little while. Unfortunately, there are still locals hurting, the rain moved through toward the SE leaving a lot of people high and dry just a few miles east of us. They are still saying one more day of decent rain chances tomorrow I think.

Looks like you should get hammered by a storm soon. Good luck!
Thanks!!! The second morning in a row of really nice rain! There won't be much runoff for struggling ponds, BUT this is so refreshing for August and hasn't happened literally in years. SO thankful!!!

Got some stands hung today and cleared the back plot. A big oak fell earlier this summer. It’s enough to make you cry to see these old tree fall, buts the cycle of life I guess. There are more growing in their place. Here’s a few pics from the day.
IMG_0446.jpeg
IMG_0440.jpeg
Job finished
IMG_0444.jpeg
It’s amazing how many palatable forbs pop in the rye over the summer
IMG_0443.jpeg
Deer are in the plot like crazy, Fresh and old droppings all over
IMG_0445.jpeg
About half the oaks are loaded
IMG_0442.jpeg
The pear graft continues to explode. If you zoom in you can see my glove, it’s setting at a little over 6; it’s grown at least 12’ this first year.
IMG_0447.jpeg
The knuckle is growing too. Doing my best Native impression…
IMG_0448.jpeg

Wrapped up stand setting on the Massey this morning. After I got done I decided to wade into the 7 acre overgrown hay meadow we normally only enter during shed season. In particular, I wanted to see the burr x english hybrids we planted 9 years ago from Morse Nursery. We planted these just days after we closed on the place. Of the 20 we planted, only 6 remain, that’s my fault, fire got to them. After seeing them today, I wish we had more!!
The jungle…
IMG_0457.jpeg
Another Native impression, but I didn’t get the tree I focus. It’s a good sized tree, I’m guessing 15’?
IMG_0458.jpeg
The motherload off 3 of the trees, I didn’t visit all of them.
IMG_0459.jpeg
IMG_0460.jpeg
The last tree I took this pic of was the smallest, but the acorns were big! I’m touching one of them in this pic.
IMG_0461.jpeg
A nearby native pecan tree that is keeping pace. Didn’t little better job with this pic. Lol
IMG_0463.jpeg
Also some native persimmons popping up, a couple of them are already good candidate for grafting, but I’d like to make sure they are males before I do that, might take a little longer before they bloom.
IMG_0464.jpeg
Though it was tempting to snoop around some more, I figured I’d already laid enough scent in the area. Lots and lots of elms growing too, but the deer are keeping them below eye level. It’s not easy getting through to at mess either. It’s not nearly as pretty as Native’s native prairie, but the deer love it!

Went to water seedlings this afternoon, they look better than they did before, that rain a couple weeks ago really helped.
The brassicas are off and running, that is a sight for sore eyes! A beautiful plot of radishes and turnips isn’t a guarantee, but they’re off and running at least.
IMG_0484.jpeg
Looks like we get at least one pumpkin on the edge of the lower barn plot! I’m curious to see what the deer think of them this fall.
IMG_0483.jpeg
The truck said it was 101 in the shade, so I didn’t stay long!

I managed to mess up the mock scrape licking branch the other day, while checking the camera (customer service said it was throwing an error code and the battery cable had come loose, which it hadn’t), and had to rework it. I tried to bend it down some and it broke. :rolleyes: I had nothing with me to fix it, so I had to pull some old barbed wire off a defunct fence and reposition the branch. After that, I decided the branch wasn’t quite positioned right, so I found a longer limb and wired it to the tree as well, and it’s perfect. Then I doped up both branches with orbital scent. In the end it looks MUCH better than it did originally. The first “natural” branch just seemed a little too high.
This is a regular picture we’re getting now, mostly does, but a few little guys are really starting to pay attention to the scrape branch.
IMG_0509.jpeg

Loading up a couple pics specifically to show how resilient plants can be, given the proper circumstances. These brassicas got two days of really good rain about 10 days after they were planted, with a total of about 2.5” in August. Which is almost unheard of around here, even before the multi-year drought. In the 32 days since that rain, not a drop of precipitation has fallen. Not only that, the last 10 days the humidity has dropped dramatically as well, so things are incredibly crispy. In the face of all of this the plot looks pretty doggone good as of a couple days ago.

Also, the soybeans are still quite green, even though they are really struggling on our place to put on pods right now; the guy who farms our place lives over 30 miles away and he always gets down here late, so they’re behind. We REALLY need some rain soon on them, or they’re going to get hurt pretty bad. That being said, the deer are still enjoying them. This is the first year in a long time you can only see the very tips of a fawn’s ears when it’s in the beans. Not quite the days of old when bean plants would come up almost to my chest in wetter parts of the field, but MUCH better than the last 3 years of desert in the crops fields.
IMG_0585.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg
Deer are hitting the dwarf essex rape and radishes, and leaving the purple tops alone, just like they’re supposed to.
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg

Back