The Brushpile

I use landscape fabric - it is a local purchase. I use moisture miser which is a water absorbing product. I started this year brewing compost tea and got my method down. Next year I will feed my premium trees that at least twice before July 1st. Compost tea improves the trees ability to take in nutrients. You just have to get it to the trees rather soon after brewing it.

I will put pine needles down around a chestnuts. Improves the pH for the tree. Caged or tree tubed!
Is compost tea a liquid?

I hope you get some rain.Your thread is amazing for a guy thats just starting to learn.Thanks
I was once a new guy myself, and have designed the thread specifically to help other people, however, I also ask questions and the forum never fails me. Thanks for the feedback, and I have my fingers crossed for rain tomorrow.

Here are your Google Earth pics. Hope I got the property lines close. Three pic from 2009 to 2014. 2014 is the most current picture.

brushpile1.jpg

Eastern Wahoo. Strawberry Bush and Eastern Wahoo are closely related, and both are deer candy, primarily growing where deer can't get to them. Wahoo is thicket forming and requires an exclusion cage until the small tree grows above browse level. Wahoo is so heavily browsed that the existence of Wahoo indicates a low deer population.

The MDC had Eastern Wahoo a few years ago and I ordered 100s but only got 10. I was told that there was a big demand, and they wanted to be sure that everyone got a few. Wahoo can be propagated from seed or softwood cuttings. Since Wahoo isn't commercially available, it would be a great plant to grow in Rootmakers, and seed is commercially available.

This is Eastern Wahoo's range.
http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=EUAT5

Last edited:
Ive been wanting to try eastern wahoo here, its more cold hardy than strawberry bush as far as I can tell. Not exactly easy to come by though.

Does Wahoo grow near you, so that you could take semi-hardwood cuttings next June?
Did you see that my Concordia aborted their acorns?

Chinkapin Oak grows in your area, and that's 2/3rds of what Concordia Oaks are. It's the closest substitute and I have a no fail source. ;-)

Fall planting. This is DCO and AC from Superior Trees in FL. Because of the long Florida growing season Superior Trees really are superior. I was assured that the trees were dormant, even though they arrived with green leaves, and I can report 100% survival.
Dwarf Chinkapin Oak (DCO)

Allegheny Chinkapin (AC)

The 5 gallon bucket shows the size of Superior Tree AC. These Fall planted AC produced Chinkapins the following Fall!

Is compost tea a liquid?
Yes it is. You get a tub (I use about 8 gallons of water) and mix some different products in a paint strainer. You use an aquarium aerator you can find in the pet section of Walmart type of store. You put the air to it for about two days. It increases the bacteria and microbes. I dilute it one part compost tea to 4 parts water.

I don't have the receipe handy - I will try to post it on here. Each hour the microbe count goes down. I put my compost tea in one gallon milk jugs and mix it with water in five gallon buckets. I did two good cycles in late May and early June. Then I didn't go back to it.

You can get on YouTube and see all kinds of useful information about it. Wear gloves - you don't want that stuff in open sores on a working pair of hands.

The Widllife Group also sells AC and DCO plus Sequin for Fall planting. If you want hard mast fast, DCO and AC can't be beat. Sequin would have produced fast, if not for drought. Check this out, Sequin Seedlings from Wild Life Group are unpacked.

Holy Smokes, the seedlings already has burs!!!

Looks like you might need some life jackets and a boat right now. Radar showing some good rain?

I do hope the Brushpile is getting a much needed downpour. Drown that force field out of the Ozarks. :D

Always study your thread Brush. Hard to keep up. Certainly made note of Elderberry and Chokeberry for future use on my place. Thanks.

Back